Reviews for A Captain of Gondor
floelfe57 chapter 8 . 1/23
lovely story but saddly not updated anymore... hope?
elsa4beth4 chapter 8 . 12/7/2013
wonderful short story - love your depiction of faramir and his complex family relationship, and love, too, having a captain other than Aragorn we can all look up to!
anonymous chapter 8 . 9/4/2013
Do it. Finish it. We begs you, we does.
Pilgrim Em chapter 8 . 7/5/2013
Really enjoying this! I love Faramir as a character and think you're doing a great job of delving into his past. Would love to see Denethor in person - please carry on! :)
kickarora chapter 8 . 3/17/2013
yay this was great cannot wait for imrahil to show up, and Nienna is much liked by me and my younger cousins : ) good write
lederra chapter 8 . 3/17/2013
Enjoyed the story so far.
Ghost chapter 8 . 3/7/2013
Ohh... I like this. I love all the description and detail, it makes the story and the world of Middle-earth come more alive. The OCs are very engaging, especially Haldor. Nienna could be a Mary Sue, she skirts the line sometimes, but she manages to work well (I like how she can't cook). And I envy how you make the dialog sound like it actually did in the books, I always have to fight to keep the swearing and slang out of my fanfiction.

Please update soon! I know real life can get in the way, but I want to meet Denethor and the others and find out what Haldor does for revenge!
Guest chapter 8 . 2/25/2013
Dear nrink nrink: Glad to read another chapter! It is as well-written as the previous ones, with particularly fine dialogue. The idea of Faramir learning braille-or some version of it-is an intriguing one. Certainly if anyone can learn it, he can, and the way Nienna offered him the means to do so was skilfully done. Essentially she has given him the means and the opportunity to write to her if he wishes to do so-as I strongly suspect that he will-without being so direct or "forward" as to ask him to write. Unfortunately, your readers did not learn your source for medieval letter writing because on FFN, links to other sites are never included. Thank you for writing and posting this chapter, and so quickly too. I look forward to reading of Imrahil and Denethor in the next chapter-I suspect the first meeting of father and son after three or four years will be a remarkable one. Thank you for this chapter-I'm eagerly awaiting the next one! Sincerely, Darkover
IHeartSam chapter 8 . 2/25/2013
Very bittersweet chapter, delicately done.
Anon chapter 7 . 1/13/2013
This is an excellent chapter! Mablung's tale is very intriguing!
Guest chapter 7 . 1/13/2013
I admire your writing and am glad that you have added chapters to this story. I was intrigued with a Gift and a Promise and this continuation of the story and was so happy to see that you are posting to it again. Thank you!
Darkover chapter 7 . 1/13/2013
Dear nrink nrink: This chapter, if possible, is even better than the previous one. I like your OCs, particularly Haldor, who is a very convincing captain. I especially like his well-worded defense of Faramir and why the latter should be allowed to remain in Ithilien with his brother Rangers. I couldn't agree more, and taking the man-to-man approach with Boromir, while stressing that he, Haldor, also wants what is best for Faramir, was definitely the way to go. I very much enjoyed both the dialogue in general and the descriptiveness of this chapter. The line: "You have shown the courage of Hurin before the throne of Morgoth," was nothing short of inspired. Beautifully written! Also, the traitor/renegade subplot is most intriguing. I also look forward to when you bring Denethor into the story. Your author's note was most informative, and personally, I quite agree that Denethor has always loved both his sons-even if he loved the younger less thant the older-and I do agree that Denethor finds it difficult to express that affection. I am a bit puzzled, however, by your words about how Denethor finds it hard to forgive his younger son for taking his wife from him. A lot of fans seem to have that idea, but I'm not sure why they think that. Finduilas didn't die in childbirth; Faramir was about five years old, as I recall, when she died. I suppose she might have been weakened as a result of her younger son's birth, or she might have fallen ill and died as a result of nursing Faramir through an illness, or some such. This is your story, so I leave that part up to you. I eagerly look forward to new chapters. Have a good time on your vacation, and I hope that when you return, your muse will be in fine fettle! Take care. Sincerely, Darkover
Darkover chapter 6 . 1/6/2013
Dear nrink nrink: I cannot believe that I have not reviewed this story before now. It is masterfully written, with fine characterization and excellent dialogue. The plot is good, too. While IMO the relationship between Denethor and Faramir was not quite as negative and subtly hostile as you have portrayed it, this is your story, not mine, and nothing you have written violates canon so far as I know. I heartily agree with Faramir's sentiments in this chapter-his father sent him to Ithilien without the least concern of what Faramir felt or wanted, and now, when Faramir has found friends and a new life for himself, Denethor-again arbitrarily, and with a complete lack of concern about Faramir's feelings-expects the younger son to drop the friends, comrades, and life he has forged and return to Minas Tirith. I also admire how you have demonstrated that while Faramir's essential character remains unchanged, he is no longer a boy but has become a young man. I enjoyed this story very much. I just hope you don't make us wait another six years before giving us another new chapter! Thanks for writing and posting this. Take care. Sincerely, Darkover
IHeartSam chapter 6 . 1/5/2013
Can't wait for this to continue - I really like the way you have mixed plot themes and explored various facets of life for Faramir as a ranger.
IHeartSam chapter 5 . 1/5/2013
I think Nienna is a good addition to the story, adding another layer of depth and perspective - it seems only natural that as a man always surrounded by only other men, Faramir would be somewhat attracted to a pretty young woman who is intelligent as well. Definitely not a mary sue!