Reviews for The Mutant Registration Act of 2003
b awesome chapter 2 . 6/4/2011
You ooze amazing and the loss of you from this website make my stomach feel like lead. You'd be ashamed of some of the bullshit we write now.
StarVix chapter 2 . 9/7/2007
OK, this makes a little more sense. Some things are still hard to grasp, but it does make more sense.
The Bud chapter 2 . 3/17/2007
Wouldn't mutated children have been taken care of at birth? Sort of like Herod or mayby even my some non lethal means altering, masking or even blocking use of those traits? I wouldn't be a bit surpised to see that every person is bieng cataloged and watched.
StarVix chapter 1 . 2/25/2007
I'm not a lawyer or in the IRS so I really cannot grasp the full meaning of this document. It does sound a little overboard in cases, in others it makes a little sense. But hey, if the government put out a document stating the correct way to throw up, I couldn't dispute it. I have no legal qualifications whatsoever.
Only Human chapter 1 . 10/14/2006
Good job on this, very legal and makes sense. It's nice to have the primary document when studying such important issues as mutant rights, especially when you take fiction too seriously.-lol
Lorendiac chapter 1 . 10/2/2006
Well, this was a unique experience! Somehow it had never occurred to me that I might end up reading a post that was entirely composed of the language of a hypothetical piece of federal legislation. What can I say? I must lack imagination! :)

Seems to me that a lawyer would be the best person to critique this piece of prose. I'm not a lawyer and I don't intend to become one. However, I'll give it my best shot!

* (b) It shall be the duty of every parent or legal guardian of any mutant now or hereafter in the United States, who (1) is less than fourteen years of age, (2) has not been registered under section 2, and (3) remains in the United States for thirty days or longer, to apply for the registration of such mutant before the expiration of such thirty days. Whenever any mutant attains his fourteenth birthday in the United States he shall, within thirty days thereafter, apply in person for registration. *

This paragraph seems to assume that every parent or legal guardian of a mutant under age 14 does, in fact, KNOW, that his or her child is a mutant! (Aren't many mutants significantly older than that before their powers visibly manifest themselves? And don't some of them manage to keep it a secret from their parents or legal guardians, whether they are over or under the age of 14, when strange things start to happen?)

If the parent doesn't know (or swears he didn't, anyway), but Uncle Sam later finds out, does this part of the law allow the prosecution in federal court of a person who failed to report something that the person says he never even knew in the first place? With his being convicted and then fined ten thousand bucks, and/or sent to prison for five years, because of his failure to "comply" with the Act, according to the possible penalties laid out near the end of the Act's text? I think this part might be a very good place to start if someone wanted to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn this Act on constitutional grounds.

I notice the term "mutant" is never DEFINED within the language of the Act. Suppose I am a mutant with telepathic powers. Suppose I marry, have children, and my eldest daughter grows up to exhibit similar powers in her adolescence. I believe that according to the scientific definition of "mutant" used by geneticists, my daughter would not be a mutant, because she was only exhibiting characteristics which she had inherited the normal way from one or both of her parents. (I, however, would be a mutant if neither of my parents were known to have any superhuman genetically-based powers which they could have passed along to me.)