Reviews for Bind
Out of Books chapter 1 . 3/18/2014
First, I will say that I'm reviewing from my Kindle. So, I apologize if this comes out with poor formatting.
The Hudson/Jeffrey friendship has always struck me as genuine, and you've captured it nicely. The story is very warm and simple yet nuanced in such a way to really embrace the subtleties of the characters.
I would be interested to know your source on banned books as many you listed surprised me: Black Beauty for example. I was also surprised by Huck Finn; not because I didn't know its controversial history, but because I thought it was removed from banned lists in the 1970's. I recall it being required reading in the 1990's in the districts I attended.
Your writing was quite immersive and enjoyable, particularly in describing Hudson's flight or the simple joy of coffee. Unfortunately, this makes the occasional continuity error more noticable: such as Jeffrey handing a book to himself or finding a regularly printed Huck Finn book without some sort of que (though even the show did that once if I recall).
It beginning was nice in setting up a contrast in the Hudson character yet felt unresolved by the end as Hudson gives no thought to it afterwards.
Lastly the ending, given your statement that this story is ignoring the Goliath Chronicles the ending that should've been heartwarming came off as hokey. Who is Nano? Why is his reaction to Hudson so nonchalant? Yes, the world knows about gargoyles now, but stranger-danger still applies to this situation. It really just felt like an unnecessary strech in logic when Hudson could've just as easily gone back to the castle and read to baby Alexander… or even Bronx and gotten the desired effect.
Still I'd be lying if I didn't say that this little short is a glean of gold amongst the muck.
apenamee chapter 1 . 10/25/2006
Well done!

Don't forget the books that are conveniently placed in the wrong spot at the bookstore. Or even 'lost'.
Kimberly T chapter 1 . 10/3/2006
A quibble: Since when do book burners do it in secret? They do it right out in the open, because they're so sure of their moral superiority!

Other than that, I liked the story. Quite informative; I had no idea that James and the Giant Peach had been banned once!

BTW, I'm guessing that Nano's last name is Wrimo... ;-)
Gryphinwyrm7 chapter 1 . 10/3/2006
A very well done story, from one of my favorite writers, especially since I do enjoy all of those books except Ferenheit 451. (I have read it, I'm just not a big Bradbury fan, most SF fans aren't) I do have a quibble. Holidays were MORE common in the middle ages then today. Holiday comes from Holy day, and there was a religous day every other week.
theshadowcat chapter 1 . 10/2/2006
What a lovely story and I never knew that the last week in September was Banned Book Week. I'll have to remember that from now on. However, I think you might want to change this sentance a little: 'He took the book from Taurus’s hands.' At any rate, another great story.