Reviews for New Year's Resolutions
WallofWeird chapter 3 . 7/11/2010
All over a great fic.

Unfortunately, by the time I started watching Criminal Minds, Elle was pretty much gone. (I saw her in the last two or three episodes she was in as well as a couple of others when I happened to see season 1 reruns)

Some of my favorite parts in this fic included:

"You're both insane," She murmured. "This is going to be all kinds of awkward. But it's on your head. And I appreciate it," She admitted with a grateful smile that only confirmed for Hotch what he had basically known all along: that she was lonely. He made a mental note for a New Year's resolution to take better care of her. His team was his second family, after all, and although he shared the role of pater familias with Gideon, his friend had his hands full with Reid. If Hotch were inclined to charge for his psychoanalytic services, he could retire on what he'd earn trying to convince Gideon of the truth: that he was using Reid as a replacement for a son who wanted nothing to do with him. Morgan, J.J., Garcia...they really needed nothing other than leadership. But Elle and Reid were both hurting, damaged...the kind of people naturally drawn to the power of law enforcement and psychological profiling.

Gideon had gotten somewhere with Elle, that was very clear, but Hotch could also see the limits to their relationship. He was always trying to teach, to guide, she to question and tease him, even rebel against the order of his universe by calling him "Dad" in jest. She was like a teenage daughter, with her grudging respect for him and her headstrong conviction that she was smart enough, strong enough, without him. Hotch also knew where this came from; he had read her file, of course, when she had first joined the unit. If she hadn't been able to convince herself that she needed neither father nor teacher, she probably wouldn't be here now, He thought sadly.

Elle waited, back on the couch, listening to the sounds of eager splashing, raising her eyes again as Hotch reappeared. Or something that vaguely looked like Hotch. It was his face, but for some reason she was seeing a T-shirt and loosely-fitting jeans where a suit should be. It was like holding up the wrong cut-out wardrobe on a paper doll. True, he didn't look half bad, but that wasn't the point; it was just so foreign. She felt off-balance as he claimed the seat next to her on the sofa, so she was caught off her guard when he spoke. "He's a handful. Wouldn't trade him for all the well-behaved kids in the world, though."

"You're good with him," Elle heard herself saying, and the flat tone caused Hotch's eyebrows to draw together the way they did when he was thinking hard. Elle could practically see the gears spinning in his eyes. She sighed. When he'd walked in the room in those oddly casual clothes, she'd begun to hope for a few minutes of the comfortable, uncomplicated Aaron Hotchner she'd glimpsed at the dinner table, but no—with her, this man was simply SSA Hotchner; everything else was an illusion, just like always. To her horror, tears pooled immediately, ready to spill.

"Elle?" No, she couldn't look at him, she really couldn't. Not that she was trying to. She was too busy trying to stop her body from shaking, keep the tears from turning into goddamn Niagara Falls, and she was failing badly on both counts. She raged at herself when a choked noise escaped her in spite of all she could do, and then everything was out of her hands because she was full-on crying and Hotch was dragging her into him. She wished it could be all the way in, somewhere she could be small enough to hide forever, and she'd never have to look him in the face again.

These few minutes would have to suffice. Even through her sobs, her white-knuckled fists clenched in his shirt on either side of her burrowing face, it helped to know that Hotch was holding her tightly on pure instinct, on the strength of his fierce, protective nurturing tendencies, no duty, no strategy, just... healing. Of course, it was a different story when the storm subsided and she levered herself up and off of him, scouring her face with the backs of her hands and trying not to watch him watching her. That was alright; she was prepared now for any degree of scrutiny, although she still couldn't entirely repress the urge to vanish. He was just going to sit there and look at her until she said something. "I told you you'd regret this," She whispered.

I really like the way you write Elle. It's so funny the way Hotch can come across sometimes. The dialogue between the two of them as well as the way Elle is responding emotionally to the whole situation... (I don't know Elle well enough to be able to critique how in or out of character she was, but it's a real joy to read)

Hotch winced, lowering his hands to her elbows. "I suppose we both have destructive instincts masquerading as survival tactics," He admitted.

I love the truth to that line. Very clever, very witty, and so quotable.
angry penguin chapter 3 . 1/26/2010
Very, very well done. Love it.
angry penguin chapter 2 . 1/26/2010
You are making me miss Elle in the series. I am quite certain that Elle and Hotch might be better off if that were the case. :)
angry penguin chapter 1 . 1/26/2010
Very good.
xoxoDakota chapter 3 . 6/26/2009
Great update! Just wondering where this is going...Hope to read more soon!
Reader chapter 1 . 6/3/2009
Um,Natalie its not a Gideon/Elle piece...you probably meant Hotch though...
Natalie chapter 3 . 6/3/2009
Will there be more?

I love Gideon/Elle stories,they make a great couple.

What happens next?
SweetButterflyKisses chapter 3 . 5/9/2009
Love it! Please write more ;)
Calleigh's little girl chapter 2 . 11/16/2007
Great done so far! Please continue this!
Sammy Elle chapter 2 . 6/11/2007
Hey! I liked that very much!Sorry that Im asking but, Im German, so would you so nice and explain to me what "Q.E.D." means, that would be really nice...
kransp chapter 2 . 11/3/2006
This is interesting... I am curious to find out what happens next...
lagrima chapter 1 . 10/15/2006
Sweet story. I had to laugh at this "They hadn’t made him head of the BAU because he looked good in a suit."
teamprentiss chapter 2 . 10/14/2006
I love this so much! So sweet...btw in case you haven't heard they named the baby Jack.
nebula99 chapter 2 . 10/11/2006
I really love this - the conversation sounds so real and you really have captured the characters well. Looking forward to more.
Timaios chapter 1 . 10/7/2006
Hey! I love all of your Criminal mind stories. I think you really excell at Hotch's portrayal. I really hope there will be much much more.