Reviews for Lessons in Danny Phantom Philosophy
EsmeKali chapter 2 . 8/23/2007
Okay, so I’m not actually going to review this because how do you review an essay? And do I even want to, given that you’ll be getting enough of that once you’re back at uni again? Instead, I’m going to wax philosophic with you, sharing my thoughts and opinions and beliefs. I’m guessing you’ll appreciate that much more anyway. D I do like how you managed to keep everything neutral, though. All those AP essays seem to have paid off...

I completely agree about the Valerie-revelation angle. After D-S, it would have been overkill and discontinuous to have angst, screaming, or off-the-deep-end action from her. Not to mention that it would have detracted from the Fentons’ own revelations, which were the really big ones for the ep anyway. I’m glad that things got set up so that Val would be completely cool with Danny being Phantom, or at least not uncool. I do kind of wonder why Vlad didn’t seem to be tearing Val down as much as Danny in the episode, but then, the show’s about Danny, not Val, and I’m really sort if I’ve just given you a bunny.

I never realized that if Val was at the SOUTH pole, that meant that Danny invited her (and that she accepted). I assumed that she’d pulled something along the lines of “I’m the Red Hunter and I should be here” but I think Danny inviting her makes a lot of sense, especially since he saw Future!Val and what she was capable of.

I was definitely relieved that Maddie and Jack found out. If you think about it, Maddie’s been getting closer and closer all season, so it makes sense that it wouldn’t have taken much to make her click. By that point, she’s: seen a flash of light just after Danny leaves the kitchen in EFAE; gotten confused about being Ghost Getter #4, which would indicate that Jazz, Sam, and Tucker are much more involved in “Ghost Getting” than she is, and hey, don’t they hang around with Danny?; discovered that halfas are possible; seen the connection between Vlad and Plasmius, from which would quite easily follow the Plasmius-Phantom and Masters-Fenton animosity; and learned that Sam and Tucker hang out with Phantom. Really, after all that, it would have been just a short step for her. Jack, on the other hand... XD

I’m not sure whether it was all that much of a surprise if we thought about it. I mean, you pointed out that Phantom would have invited people at the Pole, which would indicate a high level of trust (hmm, Lancer wasn’t there, was he?). And if Danny trusted them to help, he’d have felt it would be okay to trust (yes, I do agree about the softening though), and he was in control this time, instead of what happened in RT, when he was revealed to his biggest fan group (see FP).

Someone, I think it was HiddenAuthor in one of his stories, put these words (or similar) in Danny’s mouth at one point: “I want my parents to trust Phantom before I tell them”. I think that’s what did happen in the end, and why they were so accepting. Phantom proved himself once and for all that he was a Good Ghost, and therefore Jack and Maddie could place their trust in him. So it’s not just “Phantom is Danny, so we’re okay”, but I’m sure that was part of it.

Oh, yes! The Blasters were way too featured, and the episode could easily have done with less of them and still achieved the same goal. Too many fight scenes for one thing — we didn’t need those cameos, we got all the ghosts during the climax. And their slogans and logos and everything... well, it screams Vlad, doesn’t it?

Personally, I think the DxS building in Season 3 was at least in part so that fans of the other pairings couldn’t really argue about DxS being the final pairing. It worked. Even my die-hard DxV friend was okay with the DxS in the end. But yes, I agree, it was the only “right” pairing right from the beginning — the others were there for plot more than anything, and it just sort of felt like they wouldn’t last. Especially after they flopped, and especially given Val’s and Paulina’s feelings towards Phantom and Fenton respectively. Danny’s clueless, but he’s not stupid enough to go out with someone who approaches him as a trophy, though I guess DxV might have worked in the end if Butch hadn’t been setting up the DxS by that point.

I liked the tender moment quite a bit. I was really worried that Butch would do something supercheesy like a public declaration of undying love, followed by falling rose petals. And it was realistic too... I don’t think teens really feel like their love is forever very often. The fact that Danny and Sam want to take things so and know it won’t be absolute perfection the whole time speaks volumes for the show’s popularity with older audiences. It sure as heck isn’t AIMED at uni students.

Oh, yes, good point about Tucker! This isn’t the first time I’ve heard lamenting for his “comic relief” role, but I never realized the PP was a redemtion for him. Yeah, Mayor Tucker is a bit weird. I’d like to think that if there is a Season 4 that he’ll either be back to normal Tucker, or that Butch will pull something fantastic and make it okay to the fans (see DxS). And I’m beginning to suspect that you’re putting much too much thought into the LDPP—I didn’t think about the outcome for his plan. He’s definitely set up well for the future, better than Danny and Sam, even. I do think he’d want to go to college, even if he didn’t need to. Think of all the tech skillz he doesn’t have yet.

M, yeah, I think you’re right about how many people Danny revealed himself too, and the decisions they’d make about keeping his secret. People probably will figure it out in Amity Park, but it’ll be slower and might take a while. One at a time, or very small groups. If the show continues, I hope we’ll get to see some of those.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Skulker’s role as unofficial ghost leader. He probably isn’t all that incompetant at all — he’s just had bad luck around Danny, so the perception is skewed. I think he’d probably be quite a good leader, and hmm, I wonder... is EmberXSkulker a fame-grabbing relationship on Ember’s part?

I would have liked to see Dan come back, I was almost sure he would because of the ending to TUE, but I honestly couldn’t see a way to pull that off in the finale short of Danny having to take Dan down on an even bigger scale, which would have made for a bad ep, most likely. That was one of the reasons I was pleased with what did happen, even if there wasn’t a Dan there. If he was helping with the device (and it’s kind of OOC for Clockwork to let him out, no?), then he’d likely pull an escape right afterwards and woo, we’d have a Season 4 episode in the can... D

Ooh, wee, I love your genetic theory! I think I’m going to have to change mine. Yours makes more sense, and it’s simpler, too. Mine was that rather than the DNA being coated and remaining so, that layer of ectoplasm ended up forming sections of his genes, or at least taking the place of the odd molecule or atom. Sort of like what happened with Spiderman. And yes, that would mean that in my theory ectoplasm is just as gradated as real world molecules, which would account for the varying colours and powers, for the fact that they eat, for how ghost items can be liquid or metallic or explosive, for how ghosts must need air because there’s O2 in the Ghost Zone or Sam and Tucker would suffocate... It’s just a whole different periodic table, with maybe a few atoms shared with ours. So instead of hydrogen or nitrogen in his DNA, Danny would have the ectoequivalents. Of course, that doesn’t completely explain how he could lose the powers and still be okay, but I’m sure I can find a creative way around that... Yours is easier, though. I do think that one could get ghost powers from, say, being in a big glob of ectoplasm and hitting a powerline. You’d have the same ingredients...

I’m pleased with how Jack’s character was left. We rarely ever see that side of him, never when it’s not directly related to his family or himself (human meat puppet, anyone?), so to see it turned at Vlad... Of course, that was really only a matter of time, and entirely Vlad’s fault that things turned out that way. It’s a shame that he still had bumbling moments about Danny and the robots, but I guess it would have been OOC to change that.

My thoughts on Vlad are that he felt he had enough of a power base and enough actual support through his anti-Phantom campaigning and the Blasters to pull it off, combined with the saviour of the human race aspect. He’s also deluded himself into thinking he’s a genius strategist, which we know he isn’t because things go wrong with every one of his plans. He never takes everything into account — like how he assumed that Jack would be so pleased with Plasmius’ help and such a good, bumbling friend that he’d be alright with VladxMaddie. I like the desperation angle, though. I think that’s definitely a part of it now. I think he’d had have done something different too, but why pass up an opportunity for money? He’d never have managed the extortion if Plasmius was an ally rather than himself. He needed peoples’ fear of ghosts to pull it off. Also, someone mentioned in a PP summary/review/squee that it was possible he’d go back to the Ghost Zone, because hey, he’s probably better accepted by the ghosts at this point, and could still have his pies.

Well, if you’re not going to say the cheese, I will. PP was the beginning... of a fanfic extravaganza, and of Danny’s happier life. Sure, there’s a good chance there won’t be more episodes, but we’ve got imagination,and that’s nearly as good.

Now, I can’t wait for Vlad’s essay... or anything from you. Anything at all. Even a comment... *pokes*
Moonstar5569 chapter 2 . 8/4/2007
Woah... That was... long.

But that was great!

Wow whenever I get the chance to watch PP again I'll never think the same...

Maybe I'll go watch it now.
catgirl789 chapter 2 . 7/15/2007
Wow I never thought of it that way. Now the episode makes much more sense. Thank you! D
dizappearingirl chapter 2 . 7/10/2007
Oh man was that good stuff. I applaud. I don't agree with everything but the points you bring up are worth thinking about. I like your theories. It makes me anxious to watch some of those episodes again! (good thing they're airing them in the US finally!) Oh man...good stuff.

I totally understand what you said about the Ocean movies in comparison to the series. It's always fun to go back and see what you missed the first time around 'cause truth be told the creators of a story usually pack in a bunch of clues and hints. _ I await the next!

Thanks for this, you made me think!

-Dizgirl
Talia Ali chapter 2 . 7/5/2007
Awesome. I was rather disappointed about the finale... it just seemed like they crammed way too much into one hour. And Sam seemed like a shallow witch. But anyway, with the actual review.

You made a lot of good points. I hadn't really thought about Valerie in any depth, so your thoughts helped clear that up for me. She's not my favorite character, so I was vaguely disappointed that there was no confrontation. After D-Stabilized, though, everything was pretty much clear. It still would have been nice to have a 5 second clip or something just to clear all that up without reading between the lines, but you're right; it's cleared up well enough by subtext.

Oh, by the way, the scene with Jack and Vlad just made my entire year, despite the disappointment with the rest of the episode. Jack is my absolute favorite character, so it was nice to see his serious side, and to see him stop being a doormat for Vlad. I cheered when he sped away.

On doubt/insecurity, I'm not sure that everything is wrapped up quite so neatly. Yeah, he's got his powers back again, and for now he's content. He seems to see-saw between wanting to be normal and liking his ghost powers. I'm thinking particularly of Brother's Keeper, where he learned to accept his powers and just enjoy them, as witnessed by the flying scene at the end. It's my private theory that it's the sense of responsibility Danny feels that keeps drawing him back to his powers. Yeah, he was peeved off that Masters Blasters were doing so well, but every time he's come to contentment with his powers, it was after his sense of responsibility was restored. There are things that need doing that only he can do. I think that as long as he keeps that in mind, he'll be content to exist as he is. When he forgets that, he needs a reminder to get back to the way he is. Not so organized as your essay, but there they are.

About the DNA thing, hear hear! I rationalized the DNA thing in my own mind as having certain base pairs slightly mutated by the ectoplasm, or having the base pairs replaced with their ghostly equivalents, provided ghosts have some form of DNA.

Anywho, excellent essay. Well-thought out, and gives the reader plenty to think about. I'm going to have to go watch Phantom Planet again soon.
Cordria chapter 2 . 7/3/2007
O.o Wow. You gave that a LOT of thought. Even better - you gave it a lot of thought, came up with credible theories, found good evidence, arrayed it in a logical order, AND did it without sounding insulting or know-it-all.

THAT takes talent.

I'm not saying I agree with everything you said, but you definately put forth an argument that I will now have to take into consideration when I write. You have definately made me think.

Fantastic job. I thought the first one was rather dry, but this one was interesting and well-'plot'ed. You put in a small touch of humor and your voice really came through - which isn't easy to do in a more informational setting.

Thank you for going out on a limb and doing something different and unique. That takes guts, which you obviously have (along with an ability to write that surpasses most others). I loved reading it and I sincerely hope you do another one.

-Cori

P.S. I sound like I actually know what I'm talking about. ;) And, I kinda even sound educated. WEIRD! You're bringing out the best/worst in me. *evil snicker*
Adran06 chapter 2 . 7/3/2007
Well I must say you do a great essay on DP. I hadn't really thought about how Ghost Powers worked in as much depth as you have, and that is a rather good theory. I must say, you have me convinced. I don't know the first thing about genetics, but that was definitely enough to convince me thats how ghost powers work. Now if only I could get my ghost portal to actually work...

TTYL,

Adran
bluename chapter 2 . 7/3/2007
That was...WOW! I mean...you are AMAZING! That's a REAL essay, and a great deep thinking about the most controversial, and may I say, important episode in the whole show. Why? because it is intended on a series finale to leave the fans thnking on whyh everything since the beginning markedd the end, becuase it has always been like tht in human history, that every start and change, marks an end, that mabye in an outer view it isn't noticed, but in a dep view, it all makes sense, and the importance of every episode it is shown in a 1 hour long special that marked the perfect end for a show taht can even have the oportunity to continue thanks to the posible consequences that every big events have.

You really caught the escense about it all, and I enjoyed discovering it along the lines some things I hven't thought about before, like teh theory on Danny's genetics, which I simply loved.

Seriously a great job, ,great deep thinking, and awsome essay ;) you are always amazying me :D have a nicec day :D

-Blue
at-a-glance chapter 2 . 7/3/2007
Wow, you hit a lot of points and it all ties neatly into it. You made a lot of sense with the gene point, since in any other way Danny's ghost powers coming back didn't make much sense till now.

I also agree that Maddie had been putting the pieces together all along, it seemed that way. And just Jazz's little line made her completely figure it out. But I also think Jack realized it before, maybe during his talk with Vlad in the jet, there aren't any real clues except I think he might've taken it into consideration because he learned for sure that the accident with Vlad did in fact cause the ghost powers. I'm not sure if he immedietly linked it back to Danny or not.

I think that you're right, that the whole world doesn't know about Danny's powers. Which would be the logical reason, why would someone want to be chased around everyday. They were away from civilization and cameras, and Danny seemed more willing to show them who he was. I don't think he'd do it with everyone watching. Especially after Reality Trip.

As for Dan, I'm glad he didn't return, just because I'm not sure anything could justify his come back. Although it's completely plausible that he was there (with Clockworks eye on him) to help the intagability stunt, just for power reasons. Even though the Ultimate Enemy was completely open ended, I don't think they ever intended on letting him come back. But it'd be cool to see him again.

The only thing that ever bothered me about Phantom Planet was the very end. The asteroid ran right through Vlad, destroying the rock he'd been sitting on and logically Vlad himself. And even if he did survive I think Vlad's too broken to ever return to the same country in the least, he lost everything and anything.

So anyway, this is getting long. So excellent analasyis. You did an awesome job and have some great theories. Keep up the good work!
Pterodactyl chapter 2 . 7/3/2007
In Memory Blank Sam wishes that she and Danny hadn't ever met. It says later on in the same episode that she was the 'reason' for his ghost powers by convincing him to go into the Portal in the first place. Because for most of the eppisode Danny had never gone into the portal his DNA would never have been mutated. So that he had to go into the portal to regain his Ghost Powers.

If this doesn't make any sense please tell me.

RFYS

Pterodactyl
Me-agaisnt-the-world chapter 2 . 7/3/2007
Well, this was an essay well done I must say. I agree with most of your points, and believe that almost everything you portrayed in this essay was almost perfect.

I just have one comment however: Don't you think that with the world coming to an end, there would be many t.v. camera crews at the pole just to show that they were actually accomplshing something. Remember that Danny did give a speech to the world leaders, and Ihave a feeling that after the Vlad Masters, for lack of a better word, fiasco, they would be keeping an eye out on Danny. Sure he does have some record of being a hero (demonstrated in Forever Phantom)but the world leaders, I think, would want to keep an eye out for Phantom's plan. It would therefore put Danny's secret in much jeporady, but yes I do agree that he wouldn't be able to handle the pressure of being a celebreaity because of his Phantom status, this as you said was proven in Forever Phantom and Reality Trip.

As for the Robot thing, I had a hunch that MAddie knew that the robot wasn't Danny, even if JAck didn't notice it to be. I believed Maddie(along with Jazz) knew that Danny didn't want to come to the ceromony, but wanted instead to be away from the spotlight for a while. My reason for this is that Danny and Maddie share a type of bond, as Jazz and Jack share. This was demonstrated in Maternal Instincts. Anyways, I believed that after finding out Danny's secret, MAddie and Danny sort of revived their bond a bit, and he would tell her more abotu his problems now... like maybe he wished that he didn't really want to go to the ceromony because there would be too much spotlight on him.

Then again, I might be completely wrong because I haven't seen Phantom Planet in about 2 months (with finals, I kinda stopped watchingthem online, and I'm still waiting for YTV to air Phantom PLanet here) so my memory might be warped. Anywho, those are my ideas and I don't know what beesech meant... so if I wasn't supposed to have my opinions here... then I'm sorry XD

Great job though.
lily fae chapter 2 . 7/3/2007
ok now that you've updated this story i ask you one thing will you PLZ write another chapter to a secret uncovered ur killing me with not updating that story i check it every day but am always dissapointed to never see a new chapter you MUST update

lily fae

(all of this was said in a kind way i am in no way trying to be forcefull just giving you a little push)
The dark and Evil PHANTOM chapter 2 . 7/3/2007
It is intersting to see some one do this and I agree on all your points save one.

It is highly unlikly that Vlad would come back to Earth as he was hit with the asteroid in the dieing moments of the show, leaving on little bits of rock floating in space. thus ending any possiblity for Vlad to come back as he is now bug splat on the wind screen.

I'm looking forward to see what you write about The cheese head
Silverjojo08 chapter 2 . 7/3/2007
This is really interesting, but now I'm wondering when any of these episodes came on TV. I haven't seen Danny Phantom on in months so I'd assumed they'd actually went along with canceling it. It's weird how I missed them. The last new episode I saw was with Sam being controlled by that plant thing.
katiesparks chapter 1 . 2/16/2007
The differences in power level between Vlad and Danny based on the type of potal they were hit with would be a cool topic in my opinion.
46 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »