Reviews for Lessons in Danny Phantom Philosophy
SummersSixEcho chapter 1 . 11/14/2006
Yay! It's finally up! (err... more like I'm just finally reviewing, heh)

You know, ever since you mentioned you were going to write these essays, I've been really looking forward to read your insightful theories. True, this one was rather light compared to all the topics you could (and probably will) write about, but it's just the perfect way to start: an uncommon topic with a solid bacground and a very fluid style, not to mention it's because of ghost hunting that everything in the show started (the Proto Portal and the Fenton Ghost Portal sure deserve our gratitude for creating two awesome hybrids).

As far as your explanations go, it is all wonderfully detailed and sustained that it could very well be applied to cannon. Not only did you base your theories in the little bits shown in the series, but it makes it even more believable with the information on real life research.

Personally, I would've thought that the Jack was the first Fenton to take interest in ghost hunting (though I didn't discard the idea of Jack having a family obsessed with ghosts but not making a career out of ghost research), but you justify this so well, that I'm beginning to accept your idea even more. Besides, it really would be easier for Jack and Maddie to have a decent funding (as hinted in "Attack of the Killer Garage Sale") if they're using the reputation of the Fenton name left by previous generations.

Oh, and the idea of Vlad possibly being behind the funding sounds very likely, more if we take into consideration how many of his devices have at least some similarity to their inventions. I'd love to see more of your beliefs on that matter in your next one ('The Man Behind the Cheese'? Excellent choice of title!)

Anyway, so far is a great start. It was also a great idea to include your sources (since many writers forget to do so nowadays). I really can't wait to read more of your insightful theories ) Keep up the awesome work and good luck with the rest!

-Lou

(W00t! A review! D)
JenniferRSong chapter 1 . 10/18/2006
Nice. I never thought about it like that. It's amazing what sitting down and thinking about something will do to ya. See ya in the cheesehead essay.
Mysterious Prophetess chapter 1 . 10/17/2006
Your theories are really quite interesting.
Caelean chapter 1 . 10/17/2006
what if the Fentons were actually selling copies of their inventions and ideas to other Ghost Hunters like the Guys in White? There must be another reason behind the title "Fenton WORKS".

This is a well rounded debate. I'm sure DP fans out there (including myself) will ponder on this issue and upcoming topics.
Linkmaste chapter 1 . 10/5/2006
"Amazing. Just captures you and pulls you away further into ghosts"

-Linkmaste
RhiannonGrey chapter 1 . 10/4/2006
Ah... Food for my scientific and logical mind - very nice. I have to admit that I am a big enough DP dork that I have wondered about these things as well. I guess I've just assumed that in the DP universe there was some basic research with ectoplasm somehow obtained from the environment. I hadn't really considered that the Fenton ghost obsession went beyond the characters we know (is it ever mentioned in the show?). They must have had some funding to do their college/graduate? work, and they must now, but what about when they were just getting started on their own? I toyed with the idea that Maddie taught martial arts, especially since pretty much the only way you can get to 9th degree black belt is by having your own school (Valerie's rank is something I'm not going to rant about here). So maybe she taught enought to get them going and then dropped it once their research really got going. But that's only one little thought, and I've rambled enough. This had a lot of interesting points, and I look forward to what comes next!

-Rhi
Fentonorelse chapter 1 . 10/4/2006
ooh...
AnitalavalatinA chapter 1 . 10/4/2006
A very interesting piece and I particularly enjoyed the speculation about how Vlad might even be the one behind the funding. It would sure be a good point to consider if you're going to do the next one about him.

It's a bit ironic that I found this today, considering I just bought two magazines about ghosts, which of course included ghost hunting. I'll send you the most relevant tidbits I've found, if you want :-)

Anyway, I know you don't want us criticizing the writing style, but I have to say I like the way you structured this. It gives us a taste of what to expect next.

Consider me hooked.
Me-agaisnt-the-world chapter 1 . 10/4/2006
Great job, it really gives some insight on the show. I can't wait till you post your next LDPP.
BadCatGirl chapter 1 . 10/4/2006
Now, I know this is DP ghosts, but here's a little extra bit of historical info for you.

In the late 1840s, the Fox sisters inadvertantly caused the spiritualist movement (which is the basis of today's amatuer ghost-hunting). They (supposedly) conversed with the ghost of a peddler through a series of questions answered by knocks. The ghost was so forthcoming that the Fox sisters became celebrities, and their home a bit of a tourist attraction.

At the time no one was able to figure out what was causing it. It became quite a bit of an obsession for many people throughout the latter part of the 19th century.

Today's ghost hunting is a mixture of science and mysticism.

But I would forward that DP ghost hunting is more down the line of Ghostbusters.
The Sleep Warrior chapter 1 . 10/4/2006
It's interesting that you should bring this topic up now-I recently had a lab in my biology class and we had to identify the ectoplasm and endoplasm of a cell, which surprised me-I had no idea that ectoplasm really had a real basis. Ectoplasm is the...well, instead of copying the whole thing I'll give you a link: dictionary. reference browse/ ectoplasm

That really got me thinking on the subject, and whether or not there are any crazies like us conducting experiments on this ectoplasm to see what kind of properties it has. I personally haven't had the time to look up anything more than the above reference, but I am definately going to be checking out more on this idea. I know there are other definitions of it on wikipedia and all, but just the fact that there is a word used in both biology and spiritual debates is cause for a spark of interest.

I really shouldn't be taking up so much room, but oh how I love to speculate! Most people hate it when I get into my scientific mode...Ah well. Overall I absolutely love the ideas you bring into this; especially that their funding could come from Vlad. I absolutely think that it could, and that would be way too hilarious. After all, he did say in Bitter Reunions that he'd sent those ghosts 'and others' to test Jack's skills as a ghost hunter-and perhaps to test the inventions they're making to see how applicable they will be to his evil plots? Anyway, thank you for putting this up; it's really going to be a lot of fun for me, especially since I don't have much time to research this stuff on my own!
Winnywriter chapter 1 . 10/4/2006
Hm...interesting. I really like the kinds of things that really make you think! I liked it!
Funkatron chapter 1 . 10/4/2006
Awesome, Darth Frodo. This actually gives me an idea for a DP fanfic involving the Guys in White. Can't wait to see what you'll cover next
Yami-chan and Unrealistic chapter 1 . 10/4/2006
Well, it's kind of hard to critque an essay and the format's fine as it is. Although if you really want hard-core essay (which in this case I'm a lovin') then I could suggest a more defined thesis statement. You know, just to lay across your point more strongly.

Seeing as how we really don't know much about ghost hunting in the show, I really can't argue with you about any of it. We've got another whole season, maybe we'll get more info then? Well, not likely I guess.

As far as your next point though, I like that too. However, it might also be interresting to take a look also at how similar Vlad and Danny are as well as their differences. As I've thought about the similarities more and more, the more intruiging it is. A good essay also gives more than one point of view anyway. Just stress your point so that your audience can make their own conclusions too based on all the avaiable information you give them.

See, this is my problem. I like analyzing too much. Well, I encourage you to continue. Anther suggestion is to start a forum. It might be easier for you to spark discussion about the essays.

Okay, I'm done now. I'll leave you be.

-Unrealistic :-)
Toni Pendragon chapter 1 . 10/4/2006
I've always wandered how two ghost hunters managed to raise a family like they did without a stable income. I guess it would make since that they would have someone funding them.

I always thought that they also invented other things and got funding and payment that way to help raise their family and fund their ghost hunting. In One of a Kind, Jazz mentioned to the interviewer that Maddie was making a new type of self-propetuating energy, I always thought that they invented or did freelance jobs on the side for other companies not ghost related.

I look forward to your easy on Vlad.
45 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3