Reviews for The Art of Losing
darksupernatural chapter 3 . 12/14/2008
Hey! Saw that you won over on live journal and had to check it out. This is an awesome, heartbreaking story. Sam and Dean together. Nothing can stop them. Great story and congratulations!
Rat chapter 3 . 12/1/2007
that is without a doubt the best I've read in a long time. excruciating, but wonderful, and the fact that you put both of those together so artfully is amazing.
november winds chapter 2 . 7/11/2007
You fill these chapters up with angst and sadism and darkness and I'm completely in love with them.
funkyspunk chapter 3 . 7/2/2007
awesome fic here Faye! :) Im so glad I read it...hehe huge dose of Limp!Sam! xDD

funky
Nicola Silvera chapter 3 . 3/4/2007
Okay...this one was kind of creepy. It was really dark and sinister, and sams torture was like something out of a Saw movie.

It was also kind of sad... ( but good none the less
red121 chapter 3 . 11/29/2006
This is amazing. So dark and so intense, and so very well written. Your best work, I think. The way you captured the emotions of both brothers was especially good. Great job on this, I have chills now that I've finished it.
tsweeny chapter 3 . 11/26/2006
Just wanted to let you know I liked this story. I'm not sure how I can like a character so much and be ok with him being tortured to near death, but anyway...
Carikube chapter 3 . 11/3/2006
I have held off on reviewing this final chapter because I wanted to have something insightful to say, something that comes vaguely close to matching all that this fic is, and all that this fic says. And I can’t. I’m simply out of my league. So instead I’ll just tell you what this chapter does: it gives me hope.

I believe that the stronger a person, the harder they fall. It took a lot to break Sam, but broken he was. It took love and medical science to piece him back together, but it’s that inner strength that allows him to go on.

You have tied this so completely to the series that though I never want to see this acted out on screen, it’s as though it is canon. And as stunningly horrific as this fic is, that gives me hope that if they can survive this… they can survive anything.

And this line: 'Because it may be a long stretch of road, and he certainly can't see the end, but he knows without a doubt that he'll make it.'

It chokes me up, teases a smile to my lips and makes tears well all at the same time. You have torn Sam down to his most basic self, given him no means by which to cling on to life or hope… and yet you’ve shown us the path he takes to heal and to reclaim his strength. And you show me that even when so horribly broken and without hope, Sam never really lost his courage. He had it all along, because his sad and cruel life has trained him well in how to be strong.

Oh Faye, I’m not even coming close to capturing why this fic guts me and lifts my spirit all at the same time. This is a true character piece. The strength of the human spirit in the face of torture. But it’s so much more than that. So so much more. I’m just so painfully inadequate in expressing what that is.

There are so many lines in this that set me in complete adulation of you and your writing style. You write every piece with a poetic purity that reaches right to my heart and squeezes it until it bleeds. This story draws more blood than most, and I thank you for making me feel. Really feel. Don’t ever stop. Please.
rozzy07 chapter 3 . 10/16/2006
Okay hands up and fesses that the first chapter to this story had me so gut punched and feeling so low that it has taken me more than a few days later to fight off the effects of 'mock' flu (cos real mums are never allowed to get it - only their off spring and dependents..wussies!)and come back to this harrowing piece. I cried, I have to admit, not ashamed of that, because damn it girl you broke our boy into a million piece, and me along with it, in the opening chapter. For awhile I couldn't see beyond that cruelty, that awful pain he had been put through and saw no hope only the deep darkness of a broken soul.

And with the second chapter I was left equally bereft for our boy. Not even Dean could save him from such fear and memory. The damage done to his body was limited only by the damage done to his psyche. To have all control stripped from him so utterly, so completely should have destroyed him.

And then in chapter 3 something emerges from that destruction, and some part of Sam grows stronger because of it. Not whole, he may never be that again, but somehow he has been able to get past this torture to focus on that what he holds most dear and know that in the future no matter what he comes across they will be the means to his salvation.

Next time Sam will cling to the story of his mother, the goodness that Jess represented, the power and steadfastness of his brother. He will cling to who those things made him, the person he was and is and would forever be.

Because maybe winning isn't about what he gains, but about what he doesn't lose.

Sam Winchester survives despite all what the cruelty of his life has thrown against him and may well in the future because of his surety in the love that he has shared in, tasted and still recieves each day of his life.

So Faye, sorry for the tardy reviews, but honestly this story simply knocked me to my knees and I needed the time to recover to even get beyond the point of blubbing like a wimpy girl and to actually stop the sniffles and gobs of snots from dripping onto the keyboard as I typed. Still-a-sniffling...but now in a good way. Thank you for tearing my heart out and then fixing it again. Roz.
JazzyIrish chapter 3 . 10/14/2006
WOW! WOW! Faye, you have really done it this time. I do believe that this is the darkest of the fics. I FELT Sam's descent into hopelessness. At the beginning, Sam tries so hard to be brave, for himself, for Dean. And then we watch it all fall apart. Such detail of every agonizing moment of Sam's torture. Poor Dean; how desperate he is to find Sam, rescue Sam, fix Sam. How afraid he is that he won't be able to get Sam back - really get him back. But he does. Not by anything he himself has done, but by Sam's sheer will to survive and not let the Demon win.

I'm amazed at how well you write the deepest fears and emotions of the brothers. It's like you get right into their heads, check out what's there, and come out and write it. Your talent has no bounds. Thanks again for some of the best writing I've seen on this site.
Shinegami's Little Sis chapter 3 . 10/13/2006
we read Emily Bishop's poem in class the other day, and I immediatly thought of Dean and Sam.

This was an awesome story, it wrenched my heart! You're an awesome author.

Luv lots,

Vanna
SweetJubilee chapter 3 . 10/13/2006
Thank you Faye.

Thank you for this story.
Ash8 chapter 1 . 10/12/2006
This story has haunted me over the last few days - so I thought I would leave a quick note. This story became so much more than I orginally expected and it really moved me. Torture fics are a bit of a guilty pleasure - but this became so much more and I absolutely love the inner strength you gave Sam in the end. Very well written and moving. Thank you.
Tyranusfan chapter 3 . 10/12/2006
Sorry it took so long to review. Great job on the end. A little bittersweet, but that works for this. :)

I liked this line:

"His Physical Therapist says that all his muscles are strained, that the weakness is normal in a situation like this.

Sam wonders how many situations like this actually happen."

I can see the incredulity on his face when the doctor says that...

Well done!
Carikube chapter 2 . 10/11/2006
Between you posting this chapter and the last, I could not get this story out of my head. I imagined what would happen when Dean found Sam. I imagined how he would react, what he would do, how he would get help for his brother. But all of my imagination fell so short of what you actually presented. And for that I thank you!

This story is shockingly powerful. Something I would NEVER want to see on screen… but that in fiction is an incredible snapshot of the strength of the human spirit. Sam is so strong and it takes a lot to break someone who is that strong. But once broken… it takes love and the strength of another to put the pieces back into place.

I’m rambling, but I can’t even begin to describe how powerful this story is. This chapter exceeded all of my wildest expectations. I’ve now read it several times and each time it leaves me with raw hope. Strangely enough, this story helps me to deal with the new season and all the angst that Kripke is dishing out. I sometimes lose sight of the strength of the characters – I fear that they could be irreparably broken. Then a story like this comes along and it paints in such vividness the reason why this series is so powerful – and the reason why these characters are so loved for their strength, their devotion to each other and their courage in the face of adversity that would break lesser beings.

Dean’s search for his brother is realistic and played out at just the right pace to make brutally known the time that has already passed. All that Sam experienced in the last chapter is replayed in my mind as Dean searches, and I grow increasingly fearful of what Dean will find. But mostly, how he will deal with what has been done to his brother.

When Dean finds Sam – that is where your fiction crosses the boundary and becomes real. You have avoided all clichés and driven home to the psychological centre of us all. Dean’s recognition of the figure on the table, the way his mind processes it but doesn’t process it. Shocked – not too crippled to be effective – but crippled enough to make it blindingly real for me as a reader and it makes me FEEL. I mean, really FEEL.

Through Dean’s escape from the mine, to the rescue and then the hospital, my mind is numb but my heart screams for release from the painful constriction. I find myself clutching at that thin line of hope that now that Dean has Sam, that all will be okay. But there’s no false fictional tie up here, it’s real life and real life is brutal and raw and heart-breaking. And things get worse before they get better, and that line of hope wears thin.

If I were to truly pick out lines, I would be repeating the whole chapter. But there is one that particularly caught me.

** They shush him, talk quietly to him, lulling him so carefully into a stupor that Dean doesn’t resist when they pull Sam from his arms.

I’ve read so many rescue scenes across fandoms but never have I read one as powerful as this. In one simple sentence you capture Dean’s shock, Sam’s helplessness and the paramedic’s solid training in dealing with traumatized victims. One simple sentence. That, my friend, is a gift!

The need for Sam to be continually sedated almost brings me entirely undone. In all my imaginings this occurred to me, but didn’t become brutal and real until I read it on the page. Then, it broke my heart. For both boys, but mostly for Dean – I couldn’t imagine experiencing that and being able to go on. Once again, the resilience of the human spirit is hammered home to me in all its beautiful glory. But just how far can that thin line of hope stretch before it breaks and all is lost.

Then Sam wakes up – really wakes up and I feel that I have a chance.

And, of course, I have read the last chapter (wherein you delivered beyond my wildest expecations). I will review it soon.
95 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »