Reviews for Wizardry
PurpleHat chapter 1 . 2/11/2009
You've chosen to base your poem on one with a very complex metre, with its internal rhymes, alliterations and assonances.

Despite your own assessment of the poem, I think it is very creditable homage to the original, and the rhymes seem quite effortless. It's certainly heaps better than most of the LoTR so-called poetry on here.

Tolkien really was a master of language. Do you like the one called "Cat"?
Bialywhoos chapter 1 . 1/31/2009
I've seen the 1st LOTR movie, so I had a little bit of basis when I read this, and I have some friends who are pretty big fans of the movies, so I know a bit about the other movies too. I really enjoyed this poem. You proved yourself to be quite a good poet, and very good with rhymes. A lot of times when people write poems, you'll see them forcing out rhymes, but I didn't sense this anywhere within yours. It flowed very naturally, and your rhyming gave it this sort of "bounce" that made your poem even better.

I also like how it sounded almost like an old fashioned epic poem, except 10X easier to read. XD I think it captured the adventurous spirit of LOTR very well along with the fantasy. Your word choice and the way you wrote it seemed to do this.

There's just one part of the poem I thought you could improve upon:

"The Lord heard his door start to shake,

The hinges break; he grabbed a case"

There's something about these two lines that just sounded awkward. I think maybe if you split it into three lines where the semicolon is instead of two, it might read better. Or just tweaking the words a little bit. But you're the author, so you can decide what you feel like doing! :D

To wrap it up, very nice poem! I truly enjoyed it.
Mantiis chapter 2 . 3/27/2007
I'm enjoying the poem so far. I hope you succeed in your current endeavour, although a chronical of Gandalfs adventures during LOTR seems rather ambitious. I'm holding my thumbs, and hope you complete it.
PeppyPower chapter 1 . 2/9/2007
I just love it when a writer is courageous enough to capitalize words. This action gives the whole poem a new gravity, I guess. I suppose mentioning the unnamed wanderer being Gandalf was not necessary. Oh, and thinking of this poem as having been written by a hobbit makes me happy. I had something like that in my mind before...the sentences rang a bell and suddenly a name appeared in my mind "Bilbo?". Okay, you said that not any of the famous ones who ever traveled with him within the books wrote it. That goes with me, too. Now I lean back, close my eyes and think of a totally unknown hobbit, out there in Middle-earth, adoring Gandalf and his journeys...