Reviews for Tale of the Bhaalspawn
The Old Knight chapter 42 . 10/6/2014
Ok, I usually keep reviews for the end of series, but I've got to get this off my chest. This chapter taught me something.

That something is that Keldorn is one evil SOB. Great writing, as always!
Redentor chapter 12 . 2/10/2014
The logic behind the troll-in-slaver compound can be explained like this. As well as selling the pit fighters to the Copper Cornet, the slavers also sold the animals that were to be used in the pit. And the reason you found the troll eating one of the slave children, is that while the adult men and women could be sold as fighters and prostitutes, the children could not be sold, so they would be used as food for the trolls who could be sold for a profit.
Redentor chapter 104 . 5/14/2013
This is by far the best Baldur's Gate Fanfiction I have ever read, and it ranks in my top three stories on this site. Hell, this should have been published as the official novel for the Baldur's Gate franchise. I loved every single moment I spent reading it.
Guest chapter 73 . 3/11/2013
Lolth has no clerics, males are unworthy. Other than that tidbit, these drow chapters are great.
JimmyMcCallion chapter 10 . 10/23/2012
Hello! I love your story so far! I am about to start writing my own story, although it will be my first since I was a little boy, but I love having inspiration fro, stories such as yours. Thank you for writing such great content. I always wanted to write a story about the adventures of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, but never got around to doing it. Always lovely to see that someone has!

:D
Ellen chapter 104 . 6/17/2012
Fantastic. Over the past week of reading I have been hooked on this masterful retelling of the storyline of Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn. I look forwards to starting the next story following Throne of Bhaal, but just wanted to take the opportunity to praise you for this 700k epic, and thank you for an engaging story with characters that you kept as close to their in-game versions as possible, with the needed tweaks to the narrative to make it flow smoothly.
main fae bull of county smitte chapter 1 . 1/29/2011
If only we had a wizards nack to be able to handle the rift that thus brews at yon workplace.

But as you say,where to begin.
Taoist89 chapter 104 . 11/28/2010
Words fail me...

I have been partial to reading Baldur's Gate Fan Fiction since I was 14 years of age. The story has always served as a firm base of moral standing and heroic action in my heart. The Characters have become symbols of what we can and should aspire to be, and I will never forget how much playing the game affected me as a young man, and still today.

Capt. Incredible, you have created the best interpretation of Baldur's Gate 2 that I have ever had the joy of reading. I will not be surprised at all if you take to writing professionally in your own life, as you possess the rare ability to breathe life and meaning into your words, and I look forward to the remainder of Greywulf's Saga with the greatest of interest.

I thank you very deeply sir, for the effort and time you have invested in this creation. Truly it has touched the cheerful muse that is my soul, and for this I shall always be grateful. May your inspiration lead you ever further into light and the deep understanding that all authors discover in their exploits.

With Sincere Respect and Appreciation

M.J Powers
Nosrenos chapter 103 . 9/22/2010
this is a masterpiece. I was crying when Keldorn died and words cannot describe the beuty of your work. I salute you!
Ledilettant chapter 104 . 9/18/2010
What a incredible work.
John Poe chapter 104 . 1/16/2010
Whew... Done.

Bravo.

If anybody is looking at this and hasn't read this masterpiece yet, read no further on this review lest it be ruined for you - spoiler alert, in other words.

I wonder just how long I've spent reading this. Merely a fraction of the time you spent writing it, to be sure, but it must still amount to a good chunk of my life. Time well spent.

I actually started replaying the game about halfway through reading your story, going with the party you had and it gave me a bit more insight into your creative process and the choices you made. Yes, you copied a lot - although 'made a faithful novelization' might be a kinder and more accurate way of putting it. Despite the still riveting twists in the plot of this classic rpg, many of the most interesting bits in your story came from you and only you.

Keldorn's tragic history with the red dragon and his family was a favorite bit of mine and as such, I was quite shocked when I found out what the game did with his family. Needless to say, I liked your version better (strange that I like them better dead than lonely - but hey, this is epic fantasy, not a soap opera). I guessed he would be the one who died in the end a while back when you hinted at it, but the time in between hinting and it actually happening was so long, I had forgotten all about it and was still blindsided. A master stroke that made me realize just how far ahead you were thinking as you wrote this.

My absolute favorite bit was your take on the Underdark, where you gave our protagonist the opportunity to participate in my favorite of all plot devices: the triumphant return of the hero. I also absolutely adore seeing characters I care about mourning. Sounds sick as I read it back to myself, but there's a reason my only other review was after the "Greywulf is dead and we're all sad" chapter.

I also loved everything with Yoshimo in it. The slow development of his character, the way it made me like him all over again even though I knew what was coming was great. His ongoing fight with everybody's favorite Tiefling Bard was also very interesting. I might be biased here though, because Yoshimo is my favorite NPC in Baldur's Gate. I just can't get enough of "Very Well...Hiyah." (Shame on you for not finding a place for that, by the way.)

Your treatment of Imoen was lovely as well; the whole 'fix up her mind' thing should have been in the actual game. I always thought it was weird that she was like, "I feel nothing and know nothing..." to "Hey everybody, thanks for helping me, now let's get out of here," in like two seconds. Kudos for coming up with a nice connection there.

I think I should also commend you on your excellent handling of the fight sequences, which, of course, were a huge part(95%) of the game and therefore, the fic. I usually loathe reading action scenes. They often devolve into, "He punched to the right, was blocked, and nothing he could do would hurt the T-Rex, but then, he tried really hard, and won." You captured the true strength of a team, the teamwork, and wrote with pleasing structure and exciting diction besides. In short, I didn't skim over the fights. Means you did a really good job there.

The main romance, while cut-and-paste in parts, still grabbed me and made me root for them. The subtle affections between the other couples also intrigued me, and I liked the fact that you only dipped your toes into their flirting: nothing irks me more than a cheesy ending where everybody is paired up.

And while I'm on what irks me, time for me to voice my well-meaning constructive criticism. Firstly, Minsc's romantic advice. I thought a bit too OOC for my tastes. Second, I would have liked more delving into the character of Irenicus. The best villains are ones that are well developed, and I think you could have made his character a lot more interesting and scary than he was in the game, but then again, you had taken enough on to your plate as it was. Thirdly, I wanted just a bit more of an epilogue, but that's where the sequel comes in, eh?

That just leaves me with my biggest complaint, one that is entirely opinion and is nothing you could improve now - I feel like I need to apologize for it now but... I don't really like the name 'Greywulf.' I thought it would eventually grow on me, but it hasn't. I think it is dumb. I am ashamed by my pettiness as I type this, but I have wanted to say it ever since I first read the name and laughed out loud. Still, this is a fantasy story and it could have been worse, but I would have infinitely preferred 'Galmarath.' Phew. Out of my system.

I will soon start reading your sequel(and I'm intrigued by Slow Fade as well), and I think I'll start reviewing a bit more frequently so as to give you the feedback you deserve without making you deal with reviews half the size of your stories.

Again, congratulations on completing such a grand work, and I look forward to devouring the rest of what you've got in store for me.
John Poe chapter 62 . 1/8/2010
It's been about a year since you completed this, and I don't even know if you'll look at this. That's mainly why I waited until the end of chapter 62 to write down my appreciation for your work (although the amount of time it would have taken to do chapter-by-chapter reviews and the way that would have delayed me reading the next chapter also contributed).

After reading the graveyard shift chapter, I am emotionally drained and need to take a moment before moving on. It is now 3 am and I have stayed up far too long for the past few days reading up until this point.

I would like to congratulate you on your process and the skill in which you slyly get the reader to care about the characters. You refuse to be lazy, and instead of just letting the reader's assumed familiarity with the characters act as "characterization," you have made them your own and expanded upon their appeal considerably.

Yes, I felt that it wasn't perfect - I think you used the word 'wryly' a bit too much (yeah, I like that word, too), I believe that a few bits were redundant and could have been made more concise while still giving the same effect, the way you plugged in the in-game text seemed artificial at times, and the whole Haer' Dalis quest having happened without us knowing about it was a little confusing - but these nitpicks are just that.

I am beyond impressed with both your writing talent and consistency. I am beyond psyched at how much I have left before it is over. I want to thank you heartily for the entertaining and compelling read, and say that you should be proud of what you've done.

I'll probably drop another one of these after I finish it all, if for no other reason than to make the review count higher and the chance of somebody else will drop in to enjoy this a bit greater. The game is ancient, but the characters are timeless, and I know people will be enjoying this story for years to come as generations rediscover the game and the joy a miniature-giant-space-hamster can give.

Thanks for making my Christmas break full of sleepless nights.
Camaro3961968 chapter 103 . 6/22/2009
This was a great fanfiction! I loved baldur's gate as a kid and this is all I could have asked for! Great stuff!
Animaxfan and Makiro chapter 104 . 3/6/2009
*bows low to you* Your stories are one of the best I have ever read! I hope too see mroe from you and hey maybe you can use my character? *giggles*
David chapter 104 . 2/3/2009
Hey there. Just wanted to say thanks for a very good story. I hope to read more off you in the future. Hopefully a follow on from this story. Anyway again thanks