Reviews for Esther
J Lesley chapter 2 . 8/10/2007
House and Cuddy have a strange relationship, it is not really a friendship, but not a strictly employee/employer thing either, and I think you captured that perfectly in this story. Loved the backstory into Esther's case and House's past.

This is a very beautifully written story.
Mel J1701 chapter 2 . 5/29/2007
I'm saving 'Pictures at an Exhibition' until they show the later episodes of season three in the UK so, for now, I'm going through your other stories.

I loved this; you really explore the depth of subtle friendship that exist between House and Cuddy and she knows him well and cares for him even if she can't always show it. The insight into what Ester's death did to House was wonderfully portrayed. He can be an ass but there's no denying that he does care for his patients in his own way and losing one hits him hard.

I particularly liked the idea of House working for the military at one point, quitting when he realised they wanted him to work on bio-weaponry. This is an angle I'd love to see you develop more in another story, perhaps seeing what Wilson and Cuddy think of this revelation, since it's a very interesting idea.

Anyway, great story and keep up the good work.
Merlynnod chapter 2 . 2/24/2007
Lovely. :) The bits of House from the past, the look into what can only be called his torturous self-doubt and the responsibility he feels for everything...Lovely. :) And the interaction between House and Cuddy was perfect too, just the right mix of understanding and stoicism that can be so very hard to write. :)

But more about that glimpse into House's past. I loved that part! ;) The way you wrote him, that need and desire to fix things, in some ways similiar to Cameron. It's *not* all about the puzzle, it's about fighting the impossible, about keeping that "enemy" at bay, striking down death and disease and *never, ever letting it win*. And the unceasing pain that comes afterward, when sometimes even the most valiant effort is in vain. He can't live with it, it haunts him endlessly. You wrote that perfectly into your story. Not many people seem to understand that feeling, that responsibility that some people can't seem to help but feel. I don't think it's narcissim, I'm not sure exactly what it is...this belief that somehow, some-way you should be able to fix them all, to save them all...

I almost became a vet several years ago, but realized almost too late that I could never do it. Every single life that ended because of my inability or ignorance would haunt every happy ending I might ever be able to achieve. There would always be those creatures who died because I wasn't good enough. And so I ran away...because the guilt of never trying was less than the guilt of failure. To see that emotion written into a story was wonderful, and I think is a very big part, perhaps even the cornerstone of the House character. Beautifully written and intensly true to a complicated character.

I'm so sorry this review ran on so long...but this story really hit a spot, and I just had to review it whole-heartedly. :)

Incredible work. :)
Doc House chapter 2 . 10/17/2006
I really adore the relationship you've made with House and Cuddy, even if it is just friendship. But now the romantic side of me hopes you continue with this story. Is that a possbility?

Doc
anonymous chapter 1 . 10/14/2006
Very good start. I always enjoy your fic and I can't wait to see where this goes.
Doc House chapter 1 . 10/13/2006
Really enjoyed the start. I hope to read more soon.

Doc
Magdala chapter 1 . 10/13/2006
This is wonderful. I had found his continuing concern for losing that patient enormously evocative when viewing the episode 'All In' and am glad to see you pick it up here. I have often wondered what the residual effect would be for Cuddy. The way you tie up the history of the case and it's effect on House is fascinating and very moving. This is beautifully written and plotted. I look forward to reading more.
CatWoman4Ever chapter 1 . 10/13/2006
This was really, really good. Please update soon! :)
BlkDiamond chapter 1 . 10/13/2006
Very, very good. Strong empathy on how he might have felt and thought during this period. Please continue and update soon.