Reviews for The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba
Aileil chapter 1 . 7/5/2012
I haven't got a specific piece for Sheppard but a clarinet is certainly the right instrument. It is casual at times earnest at others. And have you ever heard someone make a clarinet laugh? It fits Sheppard beautifully. And as for your choice of Mckay music I can only say that The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba is a very good representation of him but I might pick a Vivaldi piece myself. Gershwin might suite Sheppard. And Trepak would be a decent piece for Zelenka fighting with Mckay at times.
Azamiko chapter 1 . 7/5/2010
Cool. D
DannieGirl chapter 1 . 9/21/2008
I can't believe that I forgot to review this one, I love the interaction between Carson and Rodney, they are best friends after all.

then the long suffering Zelenka, got to love him.

Thank you for this, it was great for a laugh, I always laugh at Rodney, i can't help it, I think he and his ego are the funniest thing going on tv right now, LOL.
rebekah78 chapter 1 . 11/23/2006
That was brilliant. Thanks so much.
Beth Green chapter 1 . 11/15/2006
Thanks for sharing this fun symbolic tale involving my favorite astrophysicist. Clever idea! I love the idea of Rodney 'performing' for an enthusiastic audience. I could very much see his imperious gestures as he ordered everyone about, along with the other McKay mannerisms you included. I also appreciated the wee bit of owies you tossed in.

If I were going to set Sheppard to classical music, I immediately think of W.A. Mozart. His stylistic genius allowed Mozart to adapt his music to whatever style he chose. For Sheppard, this translates as an ability to successfully adapt to whatever situation Atlantis throws at him. To crib from Wikipedia, "Clarity and balance are hallmarks, though a simplistic notion of the delicacy of his music obscures for us the exceptional and even demonic power of some of his finest masterpieces."

If I had to narrow my Sheppard selection to one of Mozart's works, I guess it would be Serenade No. 13 for strings in G major (Eine Kleine Nachtmusik), a cheerful piece with the string section busily and brightly working away. Anyway, that's just IMHO.
Hettie chapter 1 . 11/4/2006
Wonderful story. You have certainly captured the essence of our favorite genius at work. Am now off to find Handel.

Thanks for sharing your gift and the CD rec.
Keris chapter 1 . 11/2/2006
Excellent story. Everyone is in character, particularly Carson and McKay, and there is a definite purpose and plot - which is refreshing in character studies. I also like the concept of pairing Rodney to music, the little allusion to his stint on SG1. He is not an artist he is an art "he's the music". I also loved the reference to the Hitchhiker's (I can never spell it the proper way!) Guide - Fantastic!

Anyway enough ramblings from me. Hope there's more!
Dr. Dredd chapter 1 . 11/1/2006
Lovely story. Everyone's so much in character. Is this your first? I'm looking forward to seeing more from you.
NoLongerActiveUser chapter 1 . 10/19/2006
I really enjoyed this story, especially how it was "seen" through Teyla's eyes. I loved the flow of it, the style and your characterizations were spot-on, too. Fantastic! Welcome to the fandom and I hope to read more from you soon.
SongbirdGK chapter 1 . 10/17/2006
What a wonderful idea! I also tend to be always finding characters and storylines within music.

Personally I think that Dvorak's Symphony From the New World embodies all of Alantis - if you listen you can find not only each character, but exact instances from episodes, bad guys, the stained-glass windows...

I'll stop elaborating, but let it suffice to say it's one of my favorites. Rodney is in the oboe solo, I think.

(Also - I love your descriptions of everyone's actions, and your Carson cracks me up. _ )
Indygodusk chapter 1 . 10/17/2006
That was a lovely and delightful fic. I really liked the interaction of characters and the outsider perspective of McKay and his interactions with others. It was fun. Thanks!
glocap chapter 1 . 10/17/2006
You have a wonderful grasp of the characters and the Zelenka and Teyla interaction was a joy to read. Zelenka is so approachable that I could easily see a curious Teyla going to him with tech-related questions that she might hesitate to ask anyone else. And, I can see their relationship leading to his sharing his music with her.

Carson protecting Sheppard from a "hungry wolf" Rodney was hilarious.

What an enjoyable,unique view of Rodney. I agree with Sheppard that "Only you, Teyla... could set Rodney Mckay to music."
angw chapter 1 . 10/16/2006
That was unique musical perspective. I really like how you blended McKay's actions and the descriptions of the music.
Hromiko chapter 1 . 10/16/2006
This is an awesome story. :) I don't know why it's rated M though, unless I've become so desensitized to swearing that I didn't notice tons of it in this piece... I think it's very well written, a nice little bit of whump, a fun concept with the music, an enjoyable look at sort of everyday life on Atlantis, and an all around great character interaction. I'm going to have to look for this Queen of Sheba music. Keep on writing!