Reviews for Swordsmen
Lamelinam chapter 5 . 4/19
I expected better of Kenshin in this fight. Sure, he can be weakened because of his wound, sure, MacLeod is experienced, but Kenshin i still supposed to be the fastest man alive.
fanfictioner22 chapter 1 . 1/29
Interesting crossover. I am not familiar with the immortal series so I can't comment on that but Keshin was beautifully written. He was older and wiser but still the dork we all love. I did miss the other Rurouni Kenshin characters though.
TOSoldtimer chapter 20 . 1/31/2014
Wonderful story! Your Kenshin is older, sadder and wiser, but still the Rurouni. MacLeod is pretty fine too. And I loved all those little insights into life as a short person: shortening sleeves, sitting on telephone books, unplugging the unreachable TV, being thought 'cute' ... I read it twice. Altogether a great read!
Rassilon001 chapter 20 . 1/9/2014
A very interesting crossover. Great idea, excellent execution. I'm not as familiar with the Highlander series save for broad strokes, so I can't tell if they're spot on. But the Kenshin cast that have survived certainly are. And the newcomers to the scene like Atsuko are well-received for deep and varied personalities.

Of particular note, I enjoyed the appearance of Soujiro as another immortal, as he has enough difficult answering the questions of life and death when it comes to regular people, now he has a whole new level of difficulties to worry about. I do hope he finds some measure of happiness in his new outlook on life, and with Akane.

Off to check out A Life Lived next.. should be fun.
Ravenna 17 chapter 4 . 11/21/2013
Kenshin was 7 when his parents died of sickness and was sold in to slavery and 14 when he joined the rebels within 6 months he given the title Hitokiri Battosai and was 18 when the war ended he was born in 1850.
Selidor chapter 20 . 9/3/2013
Very nice looking forward to reading the next 2
save the sharks chapter 20 . 8/7/2013
This was a great story. I really enjoyed it.
Kokari chapter 20 . 6/22/2013
I generally have a lot of problems reading fanfictions with the main character of the show with none of the supporting characters- but this, you did an excellent job on. Kenshin was very in character, though obviously not the same as in the anime and the characters surrounding him were very well created and put together. Thank you very much for writing this, I enjoyed reading it.
Akuma-chan 1-5 chapter 1 . 4/21/2013
A really good crossover, I read the whole story in just a couple of days *smiles*.
I really liked the idea of Kenshin as an Immortal but keeping his oath of not killing... permanently :)
Jarno chapter 11 . 4/7/2013
I understand that you are trying to put them on somewhat even footing but the way you're writing it is competely wrong. Honnestly, you have written Kenshin as a novice. "Then, suddenly, Mac stepped back - he'd apparently given Kenshin no warning, because Kenshin stumbled a hair forward." That's a novice mistake, not believable at all.

"MacLeod had managed to get past Kenshin's defenses to swat the smaller man on the thigh. Instantly, Kenshin reacted with lightning speed; he swung his sword hard and high over MacLeod's and nailed Mac in the side of the neck. Richie thought Kenshin's swing connected only milliseconds after MacLeod hit him in the leg."
Now if you want MacLeod to play any role against Kenshin, that would be the way to go. You've just switched up the names. Kenshin hasn't had many Immortal fights, a negligable amount compared to his fights as a mortal. Kenshin wouldn't think about taking wounds that would put a mortal out permanently, to be able to land a killing blow. MacLeod would, his instincts would tell him that he would heal from such a wound whereas Kenshin's instinct would tell him it would be permanent. Those are the ways Duncan could land a blow against Kenshin.

But tricking Kenshin, using faints against him? No, that's just maiming Kenshin's character
n0mster chapter 5 . 7/2/2012
I did not like the fight between Kenshin and MacLeod at all, Kenshin has fought superhuman speed swordsmen, and even counting blood loss and injuries from the day before, he should not have been even tagged by MacLeod even including 400 years worth of tricks. You're trying to say that Kenshin throughout his entire life, never fought against thugs or fighters who fought dirty? Extremely unlikely.
Also injuries might slow the body, but unless fatigued (which shouldn't be the case), the mind should not be affected much, so much that MacLeod was actually able to hit Kenshin.
It just feels like you're unnecessarily weakening Kenshin so that MacLeod can be somewhat comparable to him.
n0mster chapter 3 . 7/2/2012
Hmm, don't especially like the idea of weakening Kenshin, you already established that Kenshin could swat MacLeod down with no effort, so backpacing now and trying to make him weaker is more than a little disappointing.
I can understand that you don't want to make Kenshin into a Sue, but that is basically what his character is, and what most people look forward to reading about. Your portrayal of Kenshin's actions with Shark was a bit of a downer, I had expected something more concrete, I mean he did get shot on purpose, but it seems like he was forced into the situation, rather than planning it, which already diminishes him (which disappointing, might have been your intention).
Having him weak with blood loss and having his healing abilities only on par with new immortals, I'm fine with, since he obviously wouldn't have gained any more immortal power, having not participated in the game.
Still the story so far is enjoyable, even taking into account some instances of Kenshin's weakness.
n0mster chapter 2 . 7/2/2012
A very nice start to your story, I suspect that Kenshin let Shark shoot him 'fatally' so as to liberate Heather (or at least that's what it points to, haha), glad to see that you've not diminished Kenshin in any way. Hopefully we'll get to see more of Kenshin's awesomeness in subsequent chapters.
Kizmet chapter 20 . 3/23/2012
I really enjoyed this story. You have a very nice handle on Kenshin and Duncan's voices. I think you did very well in balancing their respective abilities and the fight scenes were well described.

I do have one critism: Atsuko. She takes over the story in the later chapters. Richie practically disappears once she's on scene.

By contrast Akane is great original character. She exists to serve the story: She's the reason for Kenshin being in Seacouver and meeting Duncan. Solving her problems gives Kenshin and Soujiro something to bond over. She triggers the fight between Soujiro and Duncan. You don't tell us more about Akane than is needed to move the story forward. Akane/Soujiro is focused on Soujiro's emotional development and gives him the experience needed to understand Kenshin's point about the people who suffer when Souji kills.

Atsuko doesn't serve the story, she overwhelms it. When she's involved in a scene it's more about how the cannon characters interact with her than about how they interact with each other. You go off on tangents about Atsuko's past which exist primarily to tell the reader how cool Atsuko is. Kenshin/Atsuko wasn't central to the story you started writing, but it became the main conclusion of the story.
Racheakt chapter 20 . 7/13/2011
Good song for a good ending. Looking forward to reading more of your stories.

...

The bits with Akane and Souji brought the song '97 ways to kill a super hero' by Loudermilk to mind. Check it out.

Stay cool dude, I'll see you around.

R