Reviews for Zelda: Winds of a New Beginning
Bosie chapter 12 . 4/20
I realize that it's been quite some time since this story was released (and your writing has gotten much, much better since this-it's a marked improvement and you don't abuse ellipses nearly as much, but your habit of splicing sentences has gotten much, much WORSE over the years, unfortunately) but I have to say something, and you can never have too many reviews! It doesn't matter if you'll never see it - it's the principle of the thing.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this so far, but the characters seem to sort of. . . run together, as in, I'd have no idea of whom exactly is speaking were it not for the dialogue tags and other indicators. In short, it's almost like everyone has the same personality.

It's also kind of interesting how everyone was just "Oh, Eidan!" *sobs for all of two minutes* "WELL, now that you're back, here's what happened! Good luck on your trip!"

He's been gone for TWELVE YEARS. You'd think that there would be SOME degree of shock-actually, scratch that. Eidan is a total stranger to Link and Aryll. They'd need some time to adjust to suddenly having a father, a figure of authority, thrust into their lives out of the blue. They don't know him and he doesn't know them, and learning to be a family-complete with establishing boundaries as well as actual emotional connections as opposed the current acquaintance relationship currently going on here-shouldn't be such an easy process. As it is now, they're behaving as though he'd never left in the first place.

He's just kind of there, to be honest.

This is probably resolved in later chapters (at least, I hope it is) but for now, he's really not contributing anything to the story other than bringing in more OCs, which I already can't keep track of. This brings me back to what I said about personalities-the lack of, well, CHARACTER, has all of these characters feeling rather bland, and therefore uninteresting, and not at all memorable. They're just THERE. That's. . . kind of it.

The world-building is interesting but it's too character focused, and since the characters are so dull, it's getting bogged down. You should've gone into more detail with the koroks and the fairies-it's a fascinating idea that was only mentioned in passing, which is a real shame.

There ARE a few things that I find incredibly irritating and/or downright awkward, but I won't mention all of them because they are only personal annoyances and are irrelevant to the storyline.

Just. . . Din'ira, Nayru'ine, Farore'na? Why? What's wrong with Din, Nayru, and Farore? They're perfectly fine names, and the additions just make them unwieldy. They're inelegant to say the least, and certainly don't fit the three GODDESSES that created Hyrule.
(Unless these AREN'T the actual goddesses, but still, the names are incredibly awkward).

Aside from that, I AM enjoying the story. I'll probably jump ship if the Link/Mila gets on my nerves too much (I absolutely LOATHE stories with pairings in them. It's fine with background characters, but main characters? g2g l8r) but so far it's interesting, if not outright boring in a few parts. :D

There's really no point in reviewing a story that's complete and over six years old since the author won't read it, but again, it's the principle of the thing, and why not?

- Bosie
Axcel chapter 1 . 5/18/2015
Ganondorf's background story actually is quite bittersweet. He sought power to give his people a better life. He was basically a male Zelda in terms of how much he loved his people and how far he was willing to go for them. The desert burned during the day and froze during the night and the Gerudo were constantly dying day and night from heat and cold. That is why he sought power.

Unfortunately, his desperation to save his people caused his search for power to corrupt him so, by the time he acquired power, he was already twisted. Still, for all his evil, even at his worst he didn't turn on his own people.
Lacy Martinez chapter 89 . 3/18/2014
Wow, this story is amazing. You had me hooked till the very end. I know I will love the next one.
Enigma2Me chapter 88 . 12/10/2013
Continued from my previous review:

Additionally, there is also an issue I have with your portrayal of certain characters, particularly Link and a certain character who gets access to the Triforce of Power.

In the case of Link, I don't really care that he ends up getting so many new powers and ancestries since these kind of characters exist. My primary problem is that most of the time, I feel like there isn't any real conflict that leads up to these discoveries, thus making it feel like they come out of nowhere, and frankly exist only to make Link too...perfect for lack of a better word.

In the case of the new Triforce of Power Wielder (not telling who it is for those who haven't read the story yet), I feel this was a case of huge lost potential, primarily because...IT'S THE TRIFORCE OF FUCKING POWER FOR GODS SAKE! A relic that was held by a well intentioned extremist turned power hungry madman for hundreds of years! And now the people of the Great Sea AND the sealed mainlanders have to deal with this newbie essentially being given the power of the tyrant who almost fucked over (and eventually did) their world. You would think that there would be more distrust among the people, ESPECIALLY the mainlanders, about this kind of situation, but this kind of scenario is NEVER brought up. I understand the whole Lord Valoo thing, but even so this still ultimately feels like a huge waste of lost potential storywise.
Enigma2Me chapter 89 . 12/10/2013
Alright then, so here is what I have to say about this story:

I liked reading it, but if there is one major criticism I have to make against it, it would be that there aren't that many character conflicts, and the few that exist tend to be resolved too quickly. When you bring up a character conflict in a story, having it be resolved so quickly makes me wonder "What was the point of bringing that up?" because a conflict can keep things interesting, and make the journey of the protagonist more varied and compelling. By having it resolved so quickly after it is introduced, it makes things less interesting, and the fact that this occurs fairly often throughout the story makes the conflicts rather dull.

This isn't just a thing that applies to character conflicts though. There is also the matter of the interactions between completely different cultures, since there are so many of them here. Frankly, I was sort of expecting there to be some type of conflict between the various tribes and cultures since they would no doubt have a number of differences that would make integration much more difficult. For example, it strikes me as odd that the Zora and the Rito would come to accept each other so quickly in spite of the fact that they possess a number of differences. Also, you would think that mainlanders having a more outdated point of view in regards to women compared to the islanders would be a huge source of conflict (or at least one source), but it gets resolved without much difficulty, leaving me to suspend my disbelief more than once. This of course doesn't even cover the various conflicts that could have existed, but are never mentioned or never occur.

Don't get me wrong, I liked reading this even with the flaws, but I do think this could have been even greater than it currently is.
Guest chapter 89 . 7/2/2013
Great story! I had to sit down and read all of it as much as I could because it was just that good.
Guest chapter 46 . 7/1/2013
gaaahh. I hate you for writing such a good story and amazing chapter! :D
shadowchaos5150 chapter 89 . 5/23/2013
So I just finished what was either my second or third read through of this story, and I know I'll come back to this story again in the future when I need to read a great story that creates a world that you truly never want to leave. I would head off to the sequel right this second, but after reading this story in about 3 days or so, I need a little bit of a break from reading something this engrossing. (It was so engrossing I just about stayed up to 4am to finish it last night...)
thrawn92 chapter 37 . 4/10/2013
Hm. Komali is the Bearer of Power? interesting
thrawn92 chapter 13 . 4/10/2013
I did not think Tetra would be so quick to put on a dress, considering the tomboy she is
thrawn92 chapter 10 . 4/10/2013
three sisters having to discuss something important? hmmm... Din, Nayru, and Farore, most likely
thrawn92 chapter 6 . 4/10/2013
why does Komali teach Link about flying? was the most awesome in WW besides Link not available? (I of course am talking about Quill)
Guest chapter 89 . 11/19/2012
I have read this story TWICE. Not once, but TWICE because of how good it is
fanficdave19 chapter 89 . 7/27/2012
holy cow. i stayed up all night reading this story and i am just blown away by how good it was. i am about to start reading the sequel knowing that it will be just as good. awesome job!
horror101 chapter 88 . 5/16/2011
I can say the Gods true names no sweat!