Reviews for Wave Rider
Rjalker chapter 1 . 3/23/2014
"John had loved the whole daemon concept; your alter ego in animal form. He'd always wondered after reading what his daemon would have been. A hawk, maybe an eagle. Had to be something with wings."

Oh gosh, I read this once before, a few weeks ago, but I didn't review because that sentence up there literally had me in tears because I felt terrible because I'd just watched a certain John-Whump heavy episode in season five and then he had to go and mention that he thought his daemon would be something with wings...and I just started to cry because he already goes through so much crap and then all he wants is for his daemon to be able to fly...and she can't. She can hardly even /run/. Because she's a cheetah, and all she can do is sprint, but in that moment, when her claws are hooked into the ground, and his feet are on the board and the water is roaring around him, they're flying, just the same...:)
Tlyna52 chapter 1 . 2/4/2013
I've just been rereading several of your stories. They are all really wonderful but this one is kind of a favorite. I love seeing how you have John deal with the aftermath of the wraith feeding and the problems his well meaning friends end up causing. His love of surfing and flying and the feeling of freedom it gives him comes through so well in this fic. Reading it I could see John as good enough and cocky enough to be an extreme surfer and to surf at Teahupoo in Tahiti or the Cortes Banks (which would freak the hell out of his friends).
BMick chapter 1 . 12/6/2011
Just wandered by looking for a good, short read - you do not disappoint! I never really thought about what the aftermath of Common Ground would be like for the rest of Atlantis, and how their reactions would affect John's aftermath, and how it all would feed into itself - I can really see John suffocating with the well-meaning over-attention. And, your descriptions of the joy and freedom in John's surfing escape left me grinning like an idiot. If this isn't the way it really is - it should be!
Hummingbird2 chapter 1 . 4/30/2011
Excellent, thank you!
Lizzy Loves Pancakes chapter 1 . 12/7/2010
ClaMiAl chapter 1 . 1/25/2009
This story was very touching, and gave a nice insight into John and how he deals with the trauma of being fed on. And I was blown away by your descriptions of surfing/flying. They were awesome! Never having even touched a surfboard myself, I think I can now imagine what it feels like to surf (or fly, for that matter). Brilliant, truly, brilliant.
frqfqff chapter 1 . 3/29/2008
I don't know where to begin, everything about this piece is just beautiful. I love how carefully you write John's thoughts - it really sounds like him. I love the theme of freedom represented by the waves and Sheppard's ability to find release in this environment. It is a wonderful feeling which you captured very well. The glider creatures in the water also fascinate me - I have a distinct picture of them in my mind, as you described them very clearly, yet casually. Often I have read pieces in which descriptive segments tend to go overboard, causing me to grow bored. But your descriptions I find are perfect for me; they are clear, yet still engaging and arranged throughout your writing in a way which keeps me hungry for the next line.

I also enjoyed that you built upon the episode in which Sheppard was fed upon by the wraith. Although I liked that episode, at the end I was dissapointed by the cleanness of the ending there - throughought the series we get the impression that Sheppard is strong and all that, but I felt it was a shame that such a perfect opportunity to see him experiencing at least a little trauma was not taken up. And then I come across this piece and think to myself that the writers of Stargate would never have come up with anything this good anyway. This story completes the episode for me. _

So, thank you for writing this story!
Space1Traveler chapter 1 . 2/28/2008
This was so cool! An a 1 hankie, I might add for angst. Really cool ending too. Thank you! Now I have to find the flying one...
Port-of-Seas chapter 1 . 10/6/2007
I know you have issues with oneshots, but this was awesome! Wraith muppets (I SO want that quote on a T-Shirt), His Dark Materials, almost-dolphins, and a hint of Beckman (it never died in my opinion)

This story has a touch to it that you don't see very often. It obviously has some whump, but there's a lot of comfort and relaxation without an overload of humor or angst. As always, I respect your style for its sheer balance in all those elements, thus creating darn good stories.

Keep it up! And personally, I think John's daemon might be an eagle.
Kristen999 chapter 1 . 9/22/2007
This was a breath of fresh air...I never gave any thought to surfing being the same as flying but I can see that now. Loved the little glider creatures and this novel approach to John's recovery. This was sweet and fun. My favorite parts were sharing the 'moment' with John of that rush of the big wave and the freedom he felt.

It was also cool to hear how the Team was coping, Teyla and Ronon arguing over who got to spar next, Elizabeth's many visits, but the end was the thing that made me smile. A trip the mainland with his family and experiencing true fun in the sun.
iboneki chapter 1 . 9/17/2007
Not really sure why I hadn't read this yet. But wow, what a great little fic. You said you didn't mean it to be a post CG aftermath, but I love that about it. Post-post-CG! Shep's talk with Carson at the end is amazingly characterized. Also the whump was lovely. Nice job.
Sarie V. I am lazy chapter 1 . 4/19/2007
"Blast those evil life-sucking muppets"? You are certifiable. Brilliant, yet absolutely certifiable.
La Madrugada chapter 1 . 3/29/2007
Yet another great fic. One of my favorite lines ever- 'He's been a bad, bad Colonel'- classic! Angst and excellent visual descriptions. I love picturing John surfing, and there are definitely not many stories on this subject. Can always count on your stories to be packed with creative ideas and fantastic beasties. Definite fav.
ditraveler chapter 1 . 3/28/2007
This was really nice! I really liked it..thanks for posting it!
bzywmn7 chapter 1 . 2/2/2007
Great story! I loved the Gliders, nice touch. The descriptions you used were so vivid, I could see the waves, the board, everything, like I was there. I truely enjoyed it.
47 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »