Reviews for The Saotome Gambit
Bobbwa chapter 2 . 4/22/2015
Thank you so much for posting this. I would have never found this story if you hadn't, and this story is amazing, so that would really sucked.
God Amongst Mere Mortals chapter 1 . 2/12/2014
I think I have read this fanfic at least a dozen times.

I know it's old. It's been over fiteen years since J Austin Wilde published this story.

Still, anyone who takes the time and has the priviledge to read this must agree:

The Saotome Gambit is a pillar of fanfiction.

In this author's opinion, it is the single greatest work ever achieved in fanfictiondom.

Any aspiring author should read this. It shows you how far you can take a fanfiction.

Ranma 1/2 is sadly long in the tooth. It is probably the founder of all contemporary manga right up there with Dragon Ball.

I'm so sad Rumiko ended the series. Ranma 1/2 could have gone on forever.

I'm not sure there will ever be another series like Ranma 1/2. It is entirely unique, yet it has become the basis for almost all romantic comedies. The relationship Ranma and Akane shared has become the ground work of many of the characters in newer manga.

This story is destined to fall into obsucurity, into the annals of fanfiction and net history.

One day, even will be gone. This story will survive in my heart. It is what inspired me to write.

If I ever publish my original stories, I will dedicate the greatest to J Austin Wilde.

I don't know what has become of the author, but he will live on forever in the hearts of those who read his brilliant creations.

All hail the King of Fanfiction, J Austin Wilde.

-G.A.M.M.
shugokage chapter 7 . 3/3/2013
Amazing story good job!
DanYHKim chapter 6 . 1/18/2013
Thank you for making this story available. It is one of the pillars of epic Ranma fanfiction, and it would be a crime for it to be lost.
J. Austin Wilde is the Tom Clancy of fanfiction. His "Ranma Goes to War" series is also not to be missed, and never fails to bring me to tears.
An interesting note is about the prospector's hiding place for the quantum key. In the scene where they are searching his room, the key is found in a rather unique hiding place. Make magazine's blog has a write-up on a similar hiding place that might be of interest to readers here:

2011/03/11/make-projects-doortop-stash/
Natalie-E-G chapter 1 . 11/5/2011
You can find the links to all chapters of the story at " wiki/The_Saotome_Gambit". The links are to FFML pages.

Jamie Austin and Bridget Ellen Wilde were the darlings of Ranma fanfiction for a while. Much like Richard and Wendy Pini. Unfortunately something appears to have happened and no real word has been heard of from Jamie in the fan fiction arena for a very long time. Too bad, he wrote excellent stories and left many unfinished, my person favorite being Ruler of the Raging Main.

I wish him luck wherever he is. For those wishing to attempt to trace him, the last I have seen was a 12 Oct 2009 update of Jamie's Fission Part Press (Battletech world) website .com.

Bridget who coauthored many chapters of his works is easily found on the web as she is a very accomplished artist especially in the area of manga type art, faeries, and anthropomorphic (furries especially catgirls) art.
Neah Walker XIV chapter 2 . 3/7/2011
Nice one! And I never thought that there'll be an author who could wrote 300, 000 words and above!
kurasuchi chapter 1 . 7/16/2010
I honestly salute J。Austin Wilde for exerting so much time and effort on

creating this story。 It had been one of the most well-articulated fanfics

I「ve ever read in my whole life,and to think that this story was a crossover

with a medium of a very different genre、 Battletech, well、 that was absolutely

fantastic。 I」ve never seen a fanfic with so much plot on it before。

It has been a decade since "The Saotome Gambit" was first published by Wilde。

However, I still believe that this work still needs to be exposed to the

young fanfic writers nowadays。 Surely、 they may not be "that" exposed

to the world of FFML, and what「s worse, this fic was considered to be

one of those "vanished fics"。

I hope that one day all parts of this may be published。 This work of fiction、

a 32 part story with three epilogues、 is obviously difficult to find。

All I can find are 26 chapters、 nothing more、 nothing less。 The J。Austin

- Bridget tagteam for the Chapter Five of Part 26 was absolutely stunning、

I mean、 if they can write good mecha stories、 the relationship between

Ranma and Akane are so thoroughly meshed out too、 and what「s more、 even

to the way that Ranma」s been acting-on how naive he is、 or clueless、

maybe- they made it good! Ranma and Akane「s lemon scene on Chapter Five,

Part Twenty-Six is also a must-see。

I」ve been spending time on the net, looking for the other parts (starting

from Part Twenty-seven)。 So if any one of you here had it、 please、 PM

me and I「d utterly be grateful to you! :))

良く頑張っていた、 ワイドさん。 感謝して います!
pacificuser chapter 6 . 8/1/2009
Nice!
ByLanternLight chapter 1 . 7/18/2009
I would never have discovered this had you not reposted it, so thank you from the bottom of my heart. This tale is shear EPIC.
Ysolde chapter 7 . 5/20/2009
THink there was another chapter of Saffron agenda somewhere...
Ihatefanfics chapter 7 . 1/11/2009
you're right, this story should be here. although i wish somebody adds "waters under earth". that was one of my favorites along with "process of elimination"
Angela Jewell chapter 7 . 12/31/2008
J. Austin Wilde and his wife are some of the best Ranma fanfic writers out there, so I'm excited to have found this story again. Honestly, it was never my favorite (Chasing the Wind has that honor), however, I still loved the time and effort he put into this... and the Ranma/Akane romance was great. I'm sure he wouldn't mind that you posted it here, especially since you gave proper credit! _
Calamity Cordite chapter 2 . 5/18/2008
I finally got around to giving this story a try. There's a lot of good things to say about it: it's well written and remarkably error free; it has a very complex and thought out plot of political intrigue; at over half a million words, it was a hurculean effort to write-which in itself is worthy of respect; and I have to applaud the author for keeping Ranma's curse in a genre that doesn't lend itself to such things.

That said, the story failed for me on several fronts. The version of Ranma in this story is inexplicably immature, even though he's older than in the canon and in a situation that demands a little more maturity to function. The same goes for Akane. At nineteen, they should be beyond the boys/girls are icky, name-calling stage.

Ranma's behavior just doesn't make sense. It doesn't seem reasonable for him to arrive and insult what amounts to the Royal family when he's only a down on his luck, disposessed mechwarrior, especially when he has a chance to be provided with a new mech through his father's friendship with the Grand Duke. It'd be like canon Ranma arriving at the imperial palace and going out of the way to insult the Emporer of Japan and his family. I just don't see it happening.

The story was also frustratingly slow to develop and not Ranma-centric enough to hold my attention. While this is possibly necessary to paint the political back story, I felt there was far too little time focused on the protagonists (Ranma and Akane).

Other things were just a matter of personal taste to me. Like Ranma basically being a hobo. It would have been better if he was at least in command of a descent sized elite mercenary unit. The arranged marriage with 'Lady' Akane would have made more sense then, it it was a political tactic to bring Ranma's unit to the defense of the Nerima Confederation and bind their loyalty.

I only made it through about half of the first part here, so I don't know what mech Ranma ends up piloting, but anything less than a heavy mech would put him at an extreme disadvantage in a major engagement. I agree, Ranma would probably favor speed over armor, but a medium mech simply doesn't have the firepower. I could see him in a jumpjet equipped Mad Dog/Vulture or even a Madcat IIc (the heavy version with the Guass Rifles and jumpjets). If you had to stay with an IS mech, I could see him with a Sunder, or maybe an Awesome. The Phoenix Hawk mentioned is just too light.

As far as the political factions, I think it would have been more parallel to Ranma canon if the Jusenkyo tribes would have been in that small area between the Draconis Combine and the Lyran Commonwealth (I forget what the region was called at the moment). It would have been more in line with the tribes' small holding in the Jusenkyo valley.

I wasn't really fond of the Gosenkugi role either, but that was just a matter of personal taste. I felt it gave a little too much stature to a relatively minor canon character.

It would have been more interesting combination if Ranma was in the role of Hanse Davion and Akane was in Melissa Steiner's role, even though I still think it would have been more fitting if Ranma was the heir to an elite merc unit being married to Akane to bring the unit's assets and loyalty to the Nerima faction (sort of like the Gray Death Legion was affiliated with the Lyran Commonwealth).

And the last thing that left me with an unfavorable impression was that it basically seems like the same tired Ranma story just tacked on to a Battletech framework, ie: Everybody chasing Akane and wanting to beat the crap out of Ranma while Ranma and Akane constantly bicker and fight.

At any rate, I'll probably keep trying to read it, even though it's not really holding my attention. I hope that will change once things develop a bit more.

To the poster...thanks for putting this story up where ppl can continue to enjoy it, even if I find that I can't. The story deserves to be preserved if only due to the time and effort the author invested in it.
LightGuard chapter 1 . 3/20/2007
THANK THE LORDS OF FANFICTION!

I loved this story! Hell, as they've totally removed all rules regarding Ranma's chosen 'Mech from general play, it's one of the few stories that show the truth behind a LAM. Bless you sir!
ikarugan1984 chapter 6 . 1/11/2007
Makes you think doesn't it? I wonder what other amazing stories have been lost to the community at large like this? Do we have classic now lost stories backed up on our own hard drives, and if we do, should we repost them like this?

Well, it beats posting our own crap surely? :P