Reviews for A Harrowing Halloween
karmadog chapter 2 . 8/5/2013
Know I'm really late to come for this review...but I absolutely love this story. I always thought about a situation like this, in which Barnabas reacts to the Halloween traditional vampire costume, and you handled it beautifully. It's a tear-jerker every time.
bibliophile tropicale chapter 2 . 4/8/2011
Refreshing and insightful! I like how you brought out Barnabas' thoughts-very realistic. You did a great job showing the complicated nature of Julia Hoffman. Please bring us more Julia and keep up the good work.
ACollinsVampire chapter 2 . 6/17/2007
Nicely done. I really like how you envisioned Barnabas'

reactions to all he saw.
TorontoBatFan chapter 2 . 4/9/2007
Very nice fic.

I love the idea of Barnabas being able to just relax and enjoy doing some normal things.

One point of contention I found though: Barnabas is supposed to completely unaware of Halloween's significance as a fun holiday in the 20th century. He's not familiar with jack-o-lanterns or the idea of vampires being popular costumes. However, later on (after his panic attack) he reflects that over the "years" Willie has become a close and trusted friend, and Julia is perhaps his closest confidante. Julia similarly regards the years she's known Barnabas to have been the best in her life. Now, if Barnabas has been living in the 20th century for that long (several years, apparently), wouldn't he have learned about Halloween already. Even if he hadn't attended any parties at Collinwood, he would have surely read about something in the newspapers or heard of it on radio or television. As well, he would certainly have been made aware of how popular vampires are in popular culture. Overall though, it was the one plot hole in an otherwise very well done fic.

Just out of curiosity, were you seeing Barnabas as the Jonathan Frid or the Ben Cross version? I saw him as the Ben Cross version, myself and the Collinwood as that of the 1990's. (Although the reference of female doctors being more rare, seems to set in the 1960's). Now, I would have given Barnabas -if it was in the 1990's- a much more humorous costume. Heh-heh. I could see him calling a Collinsport costume rental shop to rent a costume for the party. As it's the last minute, they only have one remaining outfit in his size. He reluctantly agrees to it and says he'll be in that evening to pick it up. He hangs up the phone, turns to Willie and asks "Willie...What is a Smurf?" LOL (Sorry, but you must admit that the idea of Barnabas being forced to attend a party in a Smurf costume is rather hysterical).

Do you think you might do fics based on other holidays throughout the year?

Great work, once again.
I'm The Night Writer chapter 2 . 10/29/2006
that was cute to hear of the happy side of the Collins family! it was a great idea for a story! good job!
Victoria Splinters chapter 1 . 10/23/2006
What a sweet story! I always wanted to see the Collins family celebrating a holiday. These are the type of things the show should have explored, and take a break from the monster-of-the-month every once in a while!