Reviews for Something Awfuller This Way Comes
MAI742 chapter 1 . 10/25/2013
Most amusing! We were very much amused by this. The quality is admirable, the content a joy to read.

Thanks for writing it.
Toriano.Flacko chapter 1 . 11/26/2012
Wait, so... self-inserts being generally disliked overall and turned into glorified chewtoys is also a cliche? Blast. (crosses source material off list)
What about the Bleeding Heart Syndrome and LimitBreakLibido...? Yes? (scrip, scrip) Hmm... interesting.

I'm just wasting up that review space, aren't I?

LATER!
I Burn Water chapter 1 . 8/24/2008
that was damn hilarious, good work
traCky skAAr chapter 1 . 8/5/2008
xD Your sense of humour is flawlessly the best :O!
This is my name chapter 1 . 4/21/2008
Please write a parody darkfic! Angst and humor go hand in hand! Sort of...
KuMardagg chapter 1 . 3/6/2008
Not NEARLY enough spelling/grammar errors to be a true parody.

I love it, both the Awful and the Awfuller.

One thing I never understand is why the characters refer to each other with japanese suffixes or japanese words- shinji-kun, baka, hentai, etc. These stories are written in English, right? But supposedly the characters are speaking in their native language- japanese. So theoretically, all dialog has been "translated" into English... but these japanesisms keep popping up.

Should you write another of these, don't forget to occasionally have Asuka burst into profanity... in Russian.
Wildcard-JT chapter 1 . 6/23/2007
you forgot the "Shinji and Rei/Asuka getting drunk and coming to terms with their relationship and eventully having sex" cliche'
Merridian chapter 1 . 12/25/2006
I think you're still missing the cliche of an oppressed Shinji going nuts and beating everybody up, but that's already been parodied by somebody. Ahh well.

This is quality entertainment, right here.
BishiHarem chapter 1 . 11/16/2006
...wow.

Never cease to amaze me, Mr. Kadmon.
DancingBrain chapter 1 . 10/30/2006
I love ya, man.

In a non-gay, totally heterosexual man-to-man, budy-buddy way.

Well, in any case, great writing, theough I really feel your first one has a sharper edge to the bashing.
SpikeyKun chapter 1 . 10/28/2006
lol... takes me back to the olden days of eva fanfiction...

more cliches? Maya wanting to rut like a bridge bunny with a dirty blonde? Or how bout Kensuke either hacking the Magi, or making laser guns from the basic components of a paper clip, three rubber bands and one half a chopstick while ducking underneath a table for 30 seconds from a disgruntled mob? (he's an otaku, not a computer/gadget genius)

haha... can't wait for your next "I knew him when" installment! Danke for the read... XD
WarpWizard chapter 1 . 10/28/2006
A-grade stuff, thanks for writing. My stream of consciousness as I read:

“Why not simply knock a few walls down and expand your two room shit hole into a full crap house?”

LOL

Best sentence I've seen in a long while.

Yui’s constant guilt-trip is making me LOL. Good job.

Shinji with a giant meat log is amusing in the same way as a small asian man wearing a giant cowboy hat: inexplicably.

Amusing: Shinji’s cleaning fetish. I always like that aspect of fanon Shinji.

Nice invective.

“Kaworu shivered.” Good use of restraint. :)

I wouldn't mind seeing more. Just write it as it bubbles up from the sewage trench of your subconscious. ;)
Konous the grey chapter 1 . 10/25/2006
Alright Adam...good stuff. But you're going to have to write another fic beucase I have DUN DUN DUN, MORE CLICHES.

Okay here's what we've got let's hunker down.

The Shinji Asuka, post mind rape hospital thing, Shinji begs her to wake up, SHE WAKES UP! And they instantly fall in love, despite ya know what...14 years of trauma on both sides? Side thing, the Shinji Asuka KISS scene, used a lot to start up the old relationship.

The post NGE ShinjiXSomeone pairing mostly Asuka, in apocolyptic world.

The EoE never happened years later the Angels return.

The 'NOW THEY HAVE TO FIGHT DEMONS!' cliche.

The ever present 'Shinji was raised by some guy now he has NO FLAWS.' I think you could do one where they try to find out who Shinji's 'Sensei' was, make them run through every Anime Character in history.

Other than that I've got nothing else.

Don't worry aboot more IKHW, you just made the Intermission post didn't you?

Peace man take care,

Konous the Grey
Raptor Jesus chapter 1 . 10/24/2006
Oh. I just thought of a few other horribly overused things I see in bad NGE fanfic over and over.

Crossover stories combining NGE with something whose tone is utterly, horribly, gratingly wrong to combine with NGE. Examples include NGE / Ranma 1/2, NGE / Ah My Goddess, NGE / Love Hina, NGE / Transformers, NGE / Lord of the Rings, NGE / Star Wars, NGE / Inuyasha, and NGE / Dragon Ball Z. People, NGE is a story about Ragnarok, and about sad broken-hearted people slowly falling apart under unimaginable strain. It is a story about obsession, depression, madness, and the End of Days. There's nothing warm or fuzzy here. It's not a sitcom, it's not a cheerful romance, it's not a kiddy cartoon with simpleminded characters in a simpleminded plot-hell, PEN-PEN is more emotionally complex than any of the characters in most of these. Any such crossover that isn't a one-shot humor piece is FULL OF FAIL.

Shinji the Super Badass. Whether the author posits that he was raised by ninjas in a secret ninja cave on a secret ninja island, or that he is a reincarnated Saiyan Warrior (see the above Really Bad Crossover Ideas), or Rambo, or James Bond, or a generic Badass Longcoat Wearing Guy who Carries a Katana, it's always painfully stupid, and misses the whole point. NGE is a story about a frightened kid who's completely out of his depth, scared almost out of his wits, who can-sometimes-be a hero anyway, who can-sometimes-be strong and noble despite his fear, despite his self-hatred, despite the rage and despair and melancholy that are eating him alive. Trying to write him as a cool teenage Spike Spiegel doesn't work, even for irony, and robs the story of the premise that gives NGE its emotional impact. There are giant robot battle stories out there that have as a hero a main character who never lets himself look foolish or weak, never loses control, never shows any human emotion, and has no flaws except for being obnoxious. If that's what you want, why are you watching Eva? Go watch Mazinger Z. Shinji Ikari is not Kaji Kabuto, and that's what gives NGE its strength as a story. Changing this does not guarantee failure, but the authors who are good enough to make this work also recognize the place for our protagonist's human frailties in the narrative, and they see how difficult it would be to create something equally compelling by changing this. It feels too much like a godlike self-insert, anyway.

Related to the above is the badly overused idea that if one or another of the female cast had sex with Shinji, he would somehow or other turn into Instant Rambo. I do not doubt that someone as wretched and lonely and miserable as Shinji might benefit from genuine love and affection, and that he might become fiercely protective of his beloved, but he isn't James Bond, he isn't Rambo, he isn't MacGyver, he's not some 1980s Schwarzenegger action hero who leaps into battle with a clever quip and a look of steely determination, and sex ain't going to change this. It FAILS.

Anyway, I'm just ranting about badfic here. Somebody stop me!
Andrew Joshua Talon chapter 1 . 10/24/2006
ROFLMAO! Oh man... Looks like you covered the big ones... No pun intended. Sick weirdo. Hmph.

(sigh) I really, really hope my Eva story isn't too close to this to be a parody, but I'll let you decide that.