Reviews for The Long Goodbye
IMTheresa chapter 10 . 12/3/2006
I can't imagine what it would be like to watch a loved one waste away from this horrible disease. And for a man like John Winchester... wonderful, sad story.
Carikube chapter 10 . 12/2/2006
I can’t break this down, I can’t pick the parts that moved me the most because it all did. Oh Em, if you could see me now you would laugh and call me a fool for sitting sobbing like this, but if a fool I am, then that I am.

You dared go where many others wouldn’t, you made this story real and human and not about ghosts and demons and the supernatural, but about real human tragedy, about a disease that we don’t understand, that many of us fear and that many of us have been touched by. And you did it with such a grace and poetic subtly that a reader would have to have a heart of stone to not be deeply affected. You did not once reduce this story to smarm, you remained always true to the characters, to the strength of who they are and because of that, the eye contact, the brief touches, the comfort that they give each other is much, much more powerful than endless ramblings of devotion and love and hugs and tears. You kept these boys as Winchesters, through to the end, and you paid tribute to John and made me feel his loss all over again.

What is more, you did this before we lost him on screen. You know these brothers better than many writers do, you nailed Dean’s emotional reactions to his father’s loss in a way that is almost pre-emptive of what we saw on screen. Yes, the circumstances were vastly different, but the reactions were so true to character and the way that the brothers dealt with the loss, the way that Sam stood firm even in the face of his own pain was stunning. I still am convinced that you are on Kripke’s writing team, and you’ve just not told me. *wink*

Oh Em, my tears are drying as I write this, and once I go for a walk, take a break, I will face the rest of the day knowing that I am a better person for having been blessed with this fic. If readers can face the pain of reading this and get through to the end and see the sun that shines through, it would give the hope that even through the darkest of tragedy, there is still a way forward. You give me that, and I am honored to call you friend. Thank you! I'd have to search long and hard for better compost than this. *wink*
Carikube chapter 9 . 12/2/2006
Oh Em, I need my box of tissues for this story, so here they are, ready by my side as I start on the rest of the journey that will bring me to my knees. I’ve got knee pads for them too, along with the tissues. Probably should get a pillow to hug too. Yup, okay got it. Now, off I go.

I’m not sure if I thanked you before, but THANK YOU for that opening scene of Sam coming out of the shower. You make me all fluttery and weak kneed, glad I have those knee pads handy. *wink*

** As Sam brushed his teeth, he stared at the photo in the bottom corner of the mirror. Wishing. Wanting.

Oh Sam, already I’m starting to feel all funny in my sinuses. *sigh* Something about photos of their younger days just wrecks me. And in the context of this story, it is so hard, so so hard to take.

Girl, I’m barely into this and I just have to stop and acknowledge the way you bring those boys to life. Their mannerisms, the strength that exudes from their actions and the dialogue, girl… the dialogue. I’ve said this before, but damn, it really catches me again when reading this. I can *hear* them, almost touch them.

** “I throw him bones. I throw him all kinds of bones. But allowing Dad to obsessively disassemble and reassemble weapons is crazy! They’re not pacifiers, Dean. Just because it makes him feel better, it doesn’t mean he should have it.”

*sigh* Struggling not to cry already. They’re both so right, you know, but the angry exchange they have hurts to read. And the saddest thing is that Sam is right, and when Dean receives that phone call and learns it, his haunted eyes almost crush me. Dean should never have let John go, it says a lot that he did, and it comes as a crushing blow when he’s proven wrong.

** Dean looked at Sam, his eyes bright with raw emotion.

This line just kills me. I can’t even say why.

** Now that he had permission, Sam crossed in front of the Impala’s nose and gently- so as not to scratch the paint- took a seat on the hood just like Dean. He eyed the beer but didn’t reach for it until Dean used his knee to nudge the cans. Sam pulled a can from the plastic binding and held it in his hands, fingers slowly drawing through the cold condensation.

This is beautiful. Sam knows that Dean is hurting, and he’s asking permission for every move, giving Dean power over simple things like whether Sam can stay, whether he can have beer… simple things because Sam knows that Dean has reached a point where he feels utterly powerless. This is such an incredible scene, for Sam to recognize that, for him to give his brother that, to respect Dean so much. He pushes the truth onto Dean, gently and softly and Dean lashes back at him with barely tempered violence and Sam takes it, knowing that he has to get his brother through this, across this and… I’m sobbing now, because these boys are so broken and they have lost so much and they can’t lose more… yet they are, and they will and I fear that one day it will be too much.

** Sam traced his fingers over the cool, slick chrome on the Impala. “It’s time,” he said softly, almost hoping Dean wouldn’t hear. “We need to let him go.”

This chapter wrecks me. This is like the end of Act Two, the beginning of Act three and there now ain’t no going back. There never was, but this seals it, and both boys know it even if only Sam has been the one to say it out loud.

I'm taking my weeping eyes to the next chapter now.
Alachai chapter 10 . 12/2/2006
(sigh) This story was so beautifully written, and so incredible! The last few areas of this chapter reminded me so much of watching my own mother in the hospital…You can feel and see the boys hurt – although there was a point, in the beginning where I did want to slap Dr. Stevens, even though I know he was working for what’s best ;) Ah well…

I hope you write more soon.

- Andrea
JazzyIrish chapter 10 . 12/1/2006
Thank you for sharing this incredible story with us. I didn't know if I'd be able to finish it, but I did - through tears of course. My mom had Alzheimer's, and although she died of another illness, I know what this feels like. She didn't even know who I was. So this was hard for me. You are a fabulous writer who knows how to put difficult emotions into words that make the reader feel them. Your ending was so very touching and gives us a little insight into the hard emotions driving our boys this season. Thanks again for sharing. Looking forward to more of your fabulous work.
Tidia chapter 10 . 12/1/2006
I didn't know if I could do it, but I did. Heartbreaking. Incredibly researched and well thought out

Tidia
pandora jazz chapter 10 . 12/1/2006
You did a good job with your story.

I like your use of therapy dogs.

Maybe if the brothers could of had a chance to say goodby in this season to their father, the episodes would not be so depressing.

Your ending was good and you were right, not as depressing as your other story. There was hope, the brothers were still together and they were able be there for their father.

But my mind must be tired, didn't understand the last two paragraphs, sorry.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.
friendly chapter 10 . 12/1/2006
that was an awesome story... great job...
Windyfontaine chapter 10 . 11/30/2006
Sigh. Damn, you write with such attention to detail, I could picture every scene clearly. Too many scenes to mention, just one is the raindrops shaking off them. I did say this was so well written right? And trying not to cry here. And John finally at rest next to Mary was the only right thing to do. And the brothers walk away at the end, together. It was a great ending to a sad but good, incredibly realistic story. I am glad I read it to the end. Thanks so much for sharing your time and talent, and I look forward to the other stories that you mentioned. There's probably a million more superlatives I could use, but my mind is numb at the moment. Just-very very very wel done. Have a wonderful week :)
Windyfontaine chapter 9 . 11/30/2006
Getting really sad, but Sam is the strong one, facing the harsh realities. It's a difficult decision to come to, my mom had to go through it, but you do what you gotta do. This whole story has been so well written, and I know I'm going to sob when I read the next chapter, which I now see is the last, but now I have to finish this. Great job.
Windyfontaine chapter 8 . 11/30/2006
Aw, just getting the chance to read and catch up, so sorry it took me so long, but this was so good. At least Dean finally got to hear what he's needed to hear for years. And Sam just wasn't able to handle it right then was so understandable. Wonderful job.
carocali chapter 10 . 11/29/2006
Well, I have to be totally honest with you. I had a hard time reading this - and it's simply because you portrayed this illness so accurately. While my mother did not die of Alzheimers, she did pass from cancer that had many of these same steps. I wasn't sure if I could get through this, and I found I had to skim sometimes because it was difficult.

Let me emphasize this is a total testiment to your writing ability!

There have been a few chapter stories that have dealt with death in this prolonged way - for each of the boys - and I find them all difficult to read. I am also approaching mom's anniversary, so that doesn't help either.

You really did a wonderful job with the emotions of this and you had me in your palm. You made me continue to read when i really wasn't sure I could.

I always enjoy your stories, but this was an emotional rollercoaster. You do it very well, young lady and you should be proud of your work!

Caroline
papered chapter 10 . 11/29/2006
Gorgeously tragical.
shmrck14 chapter 10 . 11/29/2006
Great story, very well written, very much in character for all the Winchesters...and the pain for Sam and Dean is so real. I don't speak from personal experience, but I did a research paper on famaily caregivers of Alzheimer's patients and the toll it takes on them in college
angel679 chapter 10 . 11/28/2006
This was so sad. I know it must have been so hard for the boys and each in their own way and for different reasons. I really liked the fact that you had Dean reading even if it was a strange book. To have him slip away like that had to be torture. Glad they took him home to be with Mary that was so sweet and sad. Loved the story.
233 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »