Reviews for Phoenix Burning
I have no idea how many people get the Superman / Nietzche joke but it has always made me laugh.
I have no idea if you still see thse/read these.

I have read this countless times and continue to love it. I just wanted to say how right from the beginning we see who Buffy is and how different she is from everyone else. She's the on;ly one who needs confirm for herself what the hell is going on. Impulsive, strong willed, never a believer in authority for authority's sake -it's all here.

Spoiler:

And of course, Sumiko, playing a very, very long game.
Lucy Lou chapter 24 . 4/23
I loved it! You write better than Joss Whedon! Buffy and Angel always did belong together and I'd like to think they ended up together after the terrible comics ended because in the end, she just wanted to be friends with Angel and Spike. The people that are a real Buffy fan AND paid close attention to the first season word for word, would know Spike and Buffy's relationship contradicts itself to the beginning of the show. Anyways, thanks a million for this wonderful read! You rock!
Julia chapter 24 . 2/24
AMAZING! Thank you so so much for this awesome fanfiction! Now I can continue my life peacefully imagining that Buffy and Angel finally got together.
This was fantastic. Thank you for sharing
13torches chapter 24 . 2/18
Wow. I loved this story. The passion and depth of the characters pulled me in completely. I love Buffy, and the chance to see her as a woman out of time was amazing. Thank you for sharing your vision with us.
Cindy chapter 24 . 1/19/2021
Still after all these years one of the best stories out there. You created something beautiful that people keep rereading.
Much love,

Cindy
Ba4ever
Martishia chapter 24 . 8/27/2020
I don’t know if you even get alerts from this page anymore, and it has been almost 20 years (!) since the story was published, so I don’t know if you care about it at all anymore, but you have given me so much joy, that I believe that I ow you this revive for all the fantastic, teenage girl emotions that you have given me.
I’ve read other reviews, so I know I’m not going to be original. What is original – is your plot and a bit of SF post-apo vibe. The Keep reminded me a bit of the movie Equilibrium, so I easily got visual setting for everything that’s happening. Great balance between action, drama, humor, and of course - the romance. Buffy is so herself, even in her misery, the jokes she would make are so her, that could see Sarah Michelle Gellar with my mind’s eye. You have presented a handful of new characters, and that’s not easy when writing fanfiction. But you have given them their traits, their own way in which they express themselves – I mean the way they speak. It’s especially great with Agatha, and her use of archaic words, but also of very elegant syntax. That is a very hard task – to make each character speak in it’s own voice and manner, something that professional authors are often not able to achieve. Loved the use of memories and different pieces of dialogue from the show (loved when Angel used actually Buffy’s lines from IWRY episode, cut my heart into pieces). And of course, I had to love the way you wrote romance –especially the drama of this void that was between them, due to the difference in time that has passed for each of them in between their meetings. It was heartbreaking and gut-wrenching in all the right ways how Angel’s memory failed him, but also how it gradually came back to him. I especially loved this piece of dialogue: “– You love me again? Or you love me still? – Both”. It sums up everything.
I also need to add, what I’ve already said to one author here – you don’t write redundant. Sometimes, and that's very common in fanfiction, there are sentences in stories that appear there only for the most "technical reasons" – for example to move characters from one room to another, where the next scene is supposed to take place. This kind of sentences/phrases are of course necessary, so the reader wouldn't be lost. But if they are not entwined nicely with dialogue or other descriptions – the readers can feel that this is just some "technical" sentence, and reading does not flow nicely as it should. It's like striking a false key in a tune. You manage that very nicely – I can not remember stumbling on something like that in your story, not even once. You stick to the necessary, for the purpose of action or character development – no redundant fillers.
I’m having a trip down the memory lane regarding Buffyverse, revisited it a bit after almost 20 years (!), and again got this sad feeling of non-fulfillment. As for many die-hard B/A fans – the show pretty much ended for me after season 3. But I remembered suddenly, that where your favorite showrunner doesn't give you closure – FanFiction can fill in. That’s how I stumbled on your story that gave me tons of wonderful emotions, for which I thank you very much from the bottom of my teenage-fangirl heart.
worldsapart chapter 23 . 9/17/2019
Oh man, this story. I read it way back forever ago and happened to think of it the other day, came back to see if it still held up after 18 years-and yep, just as good as it was back then. So, so good. (Reviewing Ch 23 instead of the end only because I had already reviewed at the end!)
DDM520 chapter 24 . 8/21/2019
This story it's just awesome. I reread it every few years and every time it's so much fun so well-written.
VenusStar825 chapter 24 . 8/9/2019
I probably read this when I was twelve or so (i’m 30 now) and have read it every few years since then. I think this would have been a valid way to end the Buffy series and half wish they’d turn it into a comic book. It is so well written and well characterized, it is one of the best fics in any fandom that I have ever read, and this is my first time reviewing it. Anyway, thank you.
Guest chapter 24 . 8/2/2019
Woooooow, I love it! I'm usually not a Bangle shipper either, but this was fantastic!
Rubick chapter 24 . 6/15/2019
I came back to this story to reread after several years, and it's still as amazing today as it was then. You really captured the characters and made a desirable, definitive AU.
Kelly chapter 1 . 5/19/2019
I feel like I’ve posted before but this story is INCREDIBLE. Hands down my favorite Buffy/Angel fic. Amazing characters, totally immersive story and one of the only Shanshu storylines that reLy feel believable. I reread this story every few months and can’t get enough!
Cynfulme chapter 24 . 2/16/2019
Great story...it would be cool if you did a sequel to close up a teeny plot hole with Angel’s lost memories of Willow...