Reviews for Phoenix Burning
Sumiko is the best, just the best. Buffy rocks revolutions and Angel got just what he deserved. Absolution.
Angelalex242 chapter 24 . 10/15
This is a great fic. Wish I'd known about it sooner.
HexasMancer chapter 24 . 2/5
This is fabulous. So often I've heard people saying 'there is no good Buffy fanfiction'. This goes so far in proving them wrong.

Agatha, Sky, Noor, Xiaoting and Sumiko are wonderful creations.

Thank you for writing.
thewiggins chapter 24 . 1/24
Yhatzee,

I know you wrote this fic a long time ago, but I've been trying to get into the habit of always leaving reviews after finishing a work.

I'm probably gonna say things a lot of other reviewers have already said. It was a very enjoyable read, and one that I had a hard time putting down. I finished it over the course of about two days.

Like many other reviewers, Buffy and Angel are not my favorite ship, but you made me care about that couple in a way that the show rarely did. In addition, you created an original and interesting extension of Buffy's world into the future.

I do have a few nit-picks, not that you're likely to care much about them now. I loved all of the original slayer characters that you created, kudos on creating an intriguing cast from a wide variety of backgrounds. However I was frustrated that I didn't get to learn more about them. In particular I was really intrigued by Noor and kept thinking I was going to get to learn her backstory. Her fate would have been a little more meaningful if we'd learned just a little more about her and what made her the way she was. If we'd seen her and Buffy bond a little. I also wanted more from Xiaoting. She was a fun presence in the story, but she ultimately didn't contribute a lot to it. She has the least story arch of any of the slayers, and she's never really involved in any of the crucial action except on the periphery. At the least it would have been cool to learn more about her time and see how the downward trends in technology and quality of life since then effect her. So my complaint with regards to the slayers is kind of a complement too. You created fun engaging characters and I just wanted so much more from them, which is really rare for OCs.

Another thing I wanted more of was the scoobies. I mean their all dead, and I'm glad they didn't get miraculously brought back from the dead or anything. And that dream scene with them was really good and did make me cry. So for the most part that was all really well handled. And it's probably for the best that some aspects of what happened to them are lost to time. That's realistic. But I would have liked to see a little more time of Buffy researching the past, looking for signs of what happened to them. It would have been really satisfying if she came up with just some little sliver of information that hinted as to what became of Willow, because I have a hard time imagining that someone like her would make no mark on history. I also somehow expected something to come from Dawn's book. I thought that the mirror motif meant something. That Angel was going to be wrong about it being just a literary device, that the book contained clues that would lead Buffy to more information about the lives of the Scoobies.

And finally, I found the mystery compelling as I read, and it's generally pretty good... but it kind of falls apart when you look back on it. What actually was Ishak and Markwith's game? Why bring these slayers back if they didn't ever intend to win the war against the vampires. If it was just for PR, there are a lot of other ways to accomplish a similar goal. And why bring Buffy back in particular knowing her rebellious side unless they had a specific plan with Angel, which they ultimately didn't seem to.

I may come across as overly harsh, but really, it's just because the quality of the story over all is so excellent that my expectations got too high in some places. This is a very well written fan work. Buffy's solution in the end was well written and well foreshadowed. I put the pieces together just before the story reveled it to me. Also, your characterization of Buffy is great, it just feels spot on and very natural all through the piece. And the overall cast comes off as very vivid and human, especially impressive since they're almost all OCs.

I see that you're not super active on anymore, your last story being published about two years ago now. But I hope that you are still writing. I hope you are writing stories for publication and not just fan fiction because you've certainly got the talent.
sus chapter 24 . 1/14
i'm normaly not a buffy/angel this story is great and i just couldn't stop reading!
Lise chapter 24 . 11/14/2016
Hello, I don't know if you still sometimes check for answers in this website, but I wanted to write a review anyway.
This story is beautifull, and for as much as I like the Buffyverse, it could stand on it's own and be as good: your Buffy as deeps, and the other caracters are credible. I liked the story, though it seemed maybe a little bit "too easy", but it's nice to sometimes not have as much drama.
I would have loved for you to build a little bit more about the antics of the world you've created: alright, there was a plague, but this has never (so far) made us regress to 500 years in the past (I mean in term of ways of living)... 'Cause appart from the big buildings and the mention of the flying cars, everything seems kind of cliché, looking very much like the after-near-end-of-the-world-crisis we can see in many movies, series, comics, etc...
Also, it would have been great if you'd let us learn more about your Angel: he doesn't appear to have changed much accross the years, and though he seems like a good and loving guy, from the little we can see here, he's also very naïve and damsel-in-distress like...

The "Sumiko speeks english part" seemed very obvious, but that may be me...
Your writing style is fluent, wich is always a pleasure (especialy on this site), so it leeds to us wanting to read your story 'till the end...
But the first chapters were more promising than the last... And I did not feel as much emotion as I could have if you'd insisted on the way the people felt...

The timelaps, the book of Dawn, the portraits, wich leads to reflexion on time and the meaning of human life, love, ect... you took the easy way out, with a Buffy that depended on her lover... And I guess it's a question of interpretation, but when she was with him she was always duler than on her own of with another guy (but no Riley!)...

Well, I guess this may look like a lot of critics, but know I don't review if I haven't liked anything in the story... I'll go check if you've written anything else,

Bye !
Marie chapter 24 . 10/9/2016
It's four in the morning and I can't stop crying. This is a true masterpiece, it's beautiful, and i swear it makes my heart ache. It makes me feel like I'm growing up, and it's scary, and I mess up all the time, but it's going to be alright. The only thing that ever made me feel like this before was a handful of Buffy episodes.
I know this is old, and I doubt you still check on feedback, but I still need to tell you that these 24 chapters made me believe in love again. They also reminded me how magical fanfiction can be. I could feel Buffy growing up, getting wiser, and learning, just like on the show. I cannot belive I hadn't seen this masterpiece, but perhaps it's better this way, I honestly think I got more out of it than I would have gotten a couple of years ago. Which is me trying to say this is deep stuff that really works.
Anyway, the story was great and I was completely in love with Sumiko by the end of it. you managed to create incredibly complex characters that somehow stayed funny, and you kept the institutional metaphores just like the show. I hope you never stop writing, you clearly have a gift.
Thank you for making my month.
momentofbored chapter 24 . 9/26/2016
This is masterful.
Andante825 chapter 1 . 8/24/2016
Just stunning, plot and dialogue and characters - this has everything and you pull it off so well. I anticipated the reveal with Sumiko, and it was still brilliantly done. Her line (fourteen years a Slayer) was such a BAMF moment. This is obviously an older story, but I hope you're still seeing feedback and know that it's being read and loved. And I've never been a Buffy/Angel fan - that's how good this story is! Thank you for writing and I'm glad to have found your work.
JEn chapter 24 . 7/15/2016
thanks again...
Phunbaba chapter 24 . 4/8/2016
Thank you for this. I just read this whole thing in one go and probably won't feel so thankful in the morning... later morning. Past 2am counts as morning right?
Amanthya chapter 24 . 11/14/2015
You didn't skimp of the painful reality of grieving, and Buffy getting her fighting-spirit back was a realistic slow-burn as she began to find her place in her new world. Death was her gift, and it was finally a true gift.

Her slayer-dreams were very well written, btw - made sense but were also random, like dreams were, while still allowing her to confront her past pains and losses.

And I can't get over how much I like Sumiko - how much you made her real even when she didn't speak. I've never liked an oc so much.

I feel for Tam, for Sky. For those who had their illusions shattered as much as for the general populous who lived in shattered illusions daily.

But your ending is full of hope and the coming of peace, and I can't thank you enough for it.
Amanthya chapter 23 . 11/14/2015
"I lived fourteens years as a Slayer. Did you think that was luck?"

Sumiko is a total b*d*ss! That last line? BUUUUUUURN!
Mrs. Clark chapter 1 . 7/17/2015
I first read this in 2001, not long after you last updated it. I just wanted to tell you it was then and still is one of the best fics I have ever read. My sister and I still compare all other fics we read to this one.
kurushi chapter 24 . 5/26/2015
I just wanted to say, I really enjoyed reading this. I don't have many other words, but this was a good solid read and you made me feel so many things for the characters, you took my breath away. It's one I want to come back and re-read in the future.