Reviews for Zanpakuto?
Swift-Star9 chapter 68 . 1/10
Holy. Crap.

This is a hell of a fic. I mean, it’s seriously incredible. I read it back when I was a fan of Bleach six years ago. It’s stuck with me so well that pink and black vultures come to mind whenever I think of the phrase “too late”. So here I am, reading your fanfic long after I got bored of Bleach.

You’ve fleshed out Zaraki to an impressive degree. Honestly, I never got that interested in him as a character, especially since he followed a character decay in Bleach following Soul Society (Kenpachi went from a fighter who exhibited a degree of restraint to just batshit and powerful). But you really isolate and expand on what made him fascinating from the getgo. You’ve created these unique relationships and reflection.

The best of which is Ikkaku, Yumichika and Atonomatsuri. Ikkaku and Yumichika change over the fic, from serving a captain they respect to having a friendship with their captain. They are constantly entertaining while being characters that hold their own rather than supporting the main character. Ikkaku’s bets and Yumichika’s strange relationship with Nemu show they have their own lives. That’s something that I often miss in stories, not only fanfiction.

Atonomatsuri is amazing. In about ten years of fandom, I have never come across an original character so unique and memorable. You took a premise that people typically use to make Zaraki the Ultimate Gary Stu and tore it to pieces. The vulture’s physical appearance is unlike anything I’ve ever seen. The way she talks to the person she’s soulbonded is beyond irreverent but still sympathetic. She complements Zaraki, but from her adages to her attitude, she is a living breathing part of the story that I wish was in the original.

Piecrust was, eh, so-so. I was ambivalent to how he was built up, but the hints as to what’s going on with him are puzzling. He’s an utter tool, and I congratulate you on that. But I don’t feel invested in him, only Zaraki’s struggle to get the waste of space out of his life. When he shows up I want to see him beaten to a pulp, no matter how much abuse from his child-abusing father he got.

The Super Hollows were honestly out of left field. I mean, I’m not sure if I was supposed to feel anything for Sasori or Raketsu, but I got really bored hearing their banter. Are they displaying humanity? All I saw was the need for self-preservation alongside lamenting the fact they can never be the same. It bolstered the case for a mercykill, but each time it looked like we were going that way, it segued into drama that I couldn’t muster the interest in. Don’t get me wrong, I like big drama, but if Zaraki doesn’t really care, I don’t think I have much interest.

That brings me to Kurotsuchi. I appreciate that you treat him as the monster he was shown to be in the early manga. It’s good to see how his hideous brutality is acknowledged. He kinda stopped being a threat when he got very whiny or excessively shrieky. It made sense in the context of the prank, but when things shifted to a serious competition, he stayed childish and I had little investment in seeing him beaten. When Kurotsuchi just whinges, I think a dunk in the toilet suffices as punishment. Even his unethical experiments are… really only unethical experiments, they don’t seem to have any horror to them outside of Nemu. Kurotsuchi’s best threat was definitely Nemu. It was insidious and cruel, perfectly villainous.

Those criticisms aside, I really liked this story. You fleshed out otherwise boring characters, like Yamamoto. Damn, everyone seems to screw up Yamamoto. But you did him perfectly, as rigid but reacting to the arrancar threat. Ise is great, Retsu is INCREDIBLE (god, I also wish she was like this in the manga, I am really miffed with what they did to her), Kuchiki is bland and emotional simultaneously…

Good god, your Soul Society. It’s an intricate world with life, and it’s something I enjoyed being in for the few days I read this over. Thank you very much. It’s been a wonderful read, and I’ll check into your original work now!
Sailor Pandabear chapter 68 . 5/13/2015
Good chapter
Guest chapter 6 . 5/8/2015
Ooooh, I'm starting to like this, I liked how you use a Vulture as Kenpachi Zanpakuto.
star's dreams chapter 68 . 4/27/2015
SD: I just realizes I read 68 chapter, amazing and for the most part started at beginning. Interest changes in characters and how they grow. As always looking forward to next chapter.
Guest chapter 39 . 1/11/2015
Interesting...but doesn't Mayuri have the right to appoint a champion to represent himself, rather than take part himself? Then again, that champion has to also agree to represent him, and I doubt any of the Captains would agree at this point XP
Uraharaisgod chapter 11 . 1/10/2015
Hrm, when you say the Zanpakuto is ugly, do you mean the blade alone, or spirit and blade? Will Atonomatsuri's spiritual form change the closer he comes to returning his sanity, controlling his powers and trusting in her as his partner? Or is it just the Shikai itself that will be restored to a true blade?

...also is it always gonna be pink?
Uraharaisgod chapter 6 . 1/10/2015
Wow...looking forward to seeing how this progresses considering just how much hatred an distrust his zanpakuto has, a twisty fellow indeed...
Prince-Byakuran chapter 4 . 1/5/2015
i couldn't stop laughing at 'nice pickle' XD
Sailor Pandabear chapter 67 . 12/31/2014
interesting
Crazy Uncle chapter 67 . 12/29/2014
It's a hollow.

I'm sorry, nut I'm unable to feel sympathy for the soul devouring creature.
umbria firewing chapter 67 . 12/29/2014
Yay. New chapter!
OBSERVER01 chapter 67 . 12/29/2014
quite good
Sailor Pandabear chapter 66 . 11/29/2014
nice
cor tenebris chapter 66 . 9/27/2014
I am so glad that I accidentally came across this story. Please keep up the good work because this is fantastic. :)
Fatalicious chapter 66 . 9/15/2014
It's always a pleasant surprise when I see this has been updated. I think it has been quite long since I read it from the begining though, so I'm curious to see hows it has changed over the many years.