Reviews for Something Borrowed
JessicaJ chapter 1 . 4/17/2013
Took me a while to find this- I was looking at reviews of some of my old stories, and spotted you.

This was a very powerful piece of writing- I can't imagine why you were worried about posting it. I liked the imagery of the broken mirror. It's interesting to actually see Vincent in a situation for once where he is out of control, where he submits to basic urges like sex, anger, desperation; all a far cry from the stoic gunman we all know and love.

This line "This is all he was capable of—breaking things" was fabulous, by the way.

Love it, and I hope that you are getting on ok with your medical degree/PhD (might be an old profile, perhaps you have qualified now). Have a good day.

JJ
Erin C chapter 1 . 4/22/2009
This is very sober and very unromanticized and very good. Vincent's my favorite character in FFVII also, and IMO you nailed him perfectly. He's obsessive and screwed up in the head and this fic doesn't pretend otherwise, but for all that you've still made him very sympathetic.

As others have said, the mirror scene is a nailbiter. I was so afraid he'd try to shoot Hojo or Lucretia or himself.

(I found this through a rec on the crack_van community on LiveJournal, BTW. I'm so glad I followed the link.)
Kcc1 chapter 1 . 11/28/2008
This story is good...I really like it!
robertmarilyn chapter 1 . 9/8/2007
I think you nailed a very likely Turk/incent. It can be easy to forget what he really was (a professional killer) and that he did it on a daily basis as a job. Lucrecia has good reason to be scared of him. And I do think his core is made up of obsessive/compulsive actions and thoughts.

This is the Vincent I can see waking up 30 years later full of mountains of guilt and depression. A part of him knows the horrible things he has done in his life and I think those thing weigh on him as much as his obsession with Lucrecia. Add in the prolonged torture and permanent changes to his body that he endures...I think a part of him feels he even deserves all the pain from things not working out with Lucrecia and from what Hojo did to him.

You wrote a believable Lucrecia and Hojo...I can't stand Hojo and I have never cared for Lucrecia but the way you wrote her (and Vincent)helps me to understand why she would not choose to be loved by Vincent :-)

mar
Lord Divestre Croft chapter 1 . 7/2/2007
I freakin' hate Lucrecia in this fic.

DOn't take it wrong; I love it...
bofoddity chapter 1 . 6/30/2007
This was very good! I don't usually read Vincent-fic, but I really liked how you did him here. He's realistic, he's human, and very sympathetic. I also like your handling of Vincent/Hojo/Lucrecia-triangle, while most attempts to take that dynamic on tend to make me grit my teeth. They're all human instead of villains and heroes, and overall this was a captivating story to read. Well done!
Sir Edward chapter 1 . 6/27/2007
Damn that was a sad story... : (

Very very good, but so sad.

Poor Vincent. He always seems to get the crap end of the stick.

Keep up the good work.

Sir Edward
Kysic chapter 1 . 5/17/2007
THAT. WAS. AWESOME! BEYOND AWESOME! Probably one of my ultimate favorites! My heart is spirialing with so much emotion. You did such a nice job with writing the chapter that you made me feel emotion! DO YOU REALIZE HOW RARE IT IS FOR ME TO FEEL A LOT OF EMOTION! Ever since I started reading sorrowful fanfic, and starting writing a few (one I'm currently working on is Take Back the Night, a story about Vincent's sorrowful teenage years), it's been hard for me to feel any emotion at all. I've written some chapters that made my fans cry (they said so). The funny thing is that I didn't feel much emotion when I wrote a few of them. This is one of the few fanfics, maybe the only fanfic that made me feel so much emotion.

I love how you were fair with blame to the point where there's no scrape goat. We both almost see Vincent the exact same way except our opinions are slightly different. I may not mind Lucrecia, but I'll always be mad at her no matter what everyone says. I hate how people in forums and stuff are unfair about her personality because in DOC, we find out mostly why she went to Hojo instead of Vincent, but she did so a few things that made me made besides that fact that she experimented on her own son! I would of slacked her hard for that if I could! I get made on how she tells Vincent that's she's sure about the experiments in DOC. It's just not right her voice was full of a bit of anger when she said it because Vincent was only worried about her.

I also don't like how she ignores him a couple times, acting like he's not there. That's just wrong. I know she's gulity about Grimoire (Vincent's dad), but I don't think she had any right to do some things that she did. Secretly, she irraitated me in this fanfic a bit when she wouldn't look at Vincent. It's one thing if she marries Hojo, but it's another thing to ignore him like he wasn't there. If she at least glanced at him before she left, I wouldn't of been so mad.

Sorry, I may not mind the LucreciaxVincent pairing, but I'll always think of her as a woman that's cruel at certain points. Don't get me wrong, I like Lucrecia, but she just makes me made sometimes. In fanfics, I don't want to see her as a completely cruel woman, not caring about Vincent. I know she loved Vincent and she cared about him. But I don't like to see her as a victim either because she had no right to do a few things she did. Experimenting on her son is one of them.

Sorry if this review is filled with anger. I just couldn't help but to feel bad about Vincent a LOT. This fanfics is going on my favorite list! I checked out your art. I'm shocked you did that! It's really good. I saw it once while looking at some picture on devian art, but didn't expect a memeber of drew it. Please write more Final Fantasy VII fanfic (with Vincent at least) because this fanfic is so good, I'd love to see more work done by you. I wish I was as good as you!
Konstantya chapter 1 . 5/6/2007
Wow. Hee... I'm just smiling giddily at how great this was for me to read. Characterization, style, everything. Just fantastic. Without a doubt, Vincent's my number one male FFVII character, too (hell, not even male-FFVII character in general), and I think it is awfully difficult to characterize him as a Turk in his younger years. As others have said, though, I think you pulled it off damn well. Hells yes and amen to you for that. (And I think it's the great portrayal of him that's got me grinning, by the way.)

This is the sort of almost insane obsession I always believed he had for Lucrecia, because after all-you figure a guy who kills for a living is not going to fall in love like most people. Nor is he going to deal with a broken heart "normally," per se. (And after all the shit he goes through, I think it's safe to say he isn't going to fall OUT of love normally, either.) Hmm. Maybe I'm going off on a tangent here.

The point of the above paragraph, I suppose, is that there's this dark, gritty obsession to Vincent in here, and this story might just be what finally gives me the inspiration to write a fic I've been meaning to for some time, but couldn't quite grasp well enough to start. Assuming I get around to that, I'll say thanks now. :D

And Lucrecia and Hojo, too-wonderful. They all come off as terribly HUMAN, and I love it. Love it, love it, love it. If it were possible to fall in love with someone based solely on what they created, I'd be in love with Georg Jensen, the Gorham company, Anton Corbijn, a guy I go to school with, and quite possibly you. Or at the very least, I'd want a tempestuous short-lived affair with you. ;P

Need I say keep up the awesome work?

-Sztorm
Sylvan chapter 1 . 2/22/2007
This story is amazing. I so rarely read fanfiction for Final Fantasy VII, because I almost never like any of it, but this is unbelievable.

I love well-done characters, and the fluidity of your style is more than I could ask for in fanfiction.

And I applaud you for daring to take on Vincent in his Turk days. I haven't even considered. You're much braver than I am, and if this isn't the Vincent that the original designers of the character had in mind, I'd love to see them try to do better.
VinVal chapter 1 . 1/28/2007
I've found certain stories on this site that absolutely take my breath away, most written by several of the others who reviewed. these stories take me to another plane of existance, a place so real i literally black out the rest of the world. i'd like to believe that while i'm not nearly the writer i'd like to be, i'm fairly discriminating, because very few move me the way this one has.

this has solidified my vision of Turk Vincent, a flawed, human, broken man, a wonderful precursor to the in-game Vincent, because really, if he was this great person, he'd be neither a Turk or caught in the web you find him in the game.

i love this; not only is the imagery resounding (the gun safety is beautiful, i hardly breathed at all the entire scene), but the characters, down to the barfly at the beginning, are thoroughly believable and complicated and human, its impossible to hate them, it's impossible to love them, and there's simply no scapegoat to hand the blame.

I'm normally a Vincent/Lucrecia fan, but you made that waver, gave it such a realistic edge that i'm not sure what to think anymore, and while that would piss some readers off, i cherish it. it means that you've accomplished exactly what you meant to do and in such a skill manner.
Sixth Night chapter 1 . 1/6/2007
In one word, stunning.

You honestly captured my complete attention in every small detail. The imagery was nothing short of amazing and the emotion was very genuine. I think that your characterization of Vincent as a young Turk is quite tangible, despite the fact that we only have brief glimpses to go from in the compilation.

I'm so glad to have stumbled on this, it was wonderful even in all the darkness it possesses. You really have a true talent for writing, and I hope to see more of your work in the FFVII fandom.

P.S. - General Hospital, too! I love that you write both.
sakuyavalentine chapter 1 . 1/1/2007
This is an awesome story, I don't know how I could have overlooked it before -_-

Anyway, seems like you took a lot of time and care while writing it, and it paid off. I'm definatly adding this story to my favourite story list, and you to my favourite author list -
Tijuana Pirate chapter 1 . 12/2/2006
'Lo Nineshadows,

I received your lovely review for my story 'Heartless' and thought that I'd return the favour... your first FF7 fic you say? I think that it turned out rather well. I absolutely adored that bit near the end where Vincent played with the safety on his gun - a nice tonal bit that worked really well with the repeated lines... I always love it when people can manage to pull off a minimalist approach to description that still creates great images. I think that you excelled there.

As for characterization... well, Turk-Vincent is really open to interpretation. If you were going for a contrast between him and OGC-Vincent, I think you succeeded. I kind of read this story like a movement to who he eventually becomes and the last line of your story really tied that together. I thought that that was a great line to end on.

I confess, I've never been much of a Lucrecia fan so I tend to downplay her role in the game... but this, I think, struck pretty close to something that could have happened in the story line so, overall, I think you've succeeded in what you wanted to do.

Thanks again for the review!

-T. pirate
mlpbuttons chapter 1 . 11/5/2006
OMG! So good. You captured the emotions so perfectly that I could practically feel his pain. And the pic that went with this is gorgeous. But, I already told you that. :)

You should definitely write more Turk!Vincent.