Reviews for Harry Potter and the Unforgiven
FreelanceBum chapter 36 . 12/31/2014
I hate that you never finished this.
FreelanceBum chapter 11 . 12/30/2014
Damn this angried up the blood. Such petty bitches.
Monika chapter 1 . 8/29/2014
i have just found your story and read it through. I have a term for stories like this, I want to have them and keep them and call them George. There are so many original thoughts and elements, so many plot lines to pursue - I'm enthralled. You nearly lost me at one point, as I have a real beef about Dumbledore and his need to know everything and tell nothing. You kept me interested by not taking it to extremes, and I now have a whole mental discussion to have about where I personally draw the line between having power, having knowledge and the right to know more, the right or obligation to act on what you know and so on. The HP novels are filled with the powerless who object to being mushrooms and the knowledgeable who like mushrooms as long as its not them.
I have a hope and a wish that you would write more, but overall, you have written enough that I can extrapolate the future events to my satisfaction. Thank you for a wonderful story!
pleurocoelus chapter 36 . 1/6/2014
I see you haven't updated this since 2009. I hope you are doing well and that you are able to finish this story. It's rather fascinating. It has some characteristics of a Soul Bond story, but is sufficiently different from the typical version of those. Quite original.

Also, I can't remember if I've read a jerk!Charlie story before.
Guest chapter 5 . 10/31/2013
Your harry is a pussy, I can't stand to read any longer
StarDotStar chapter 36 . 6/1/2013
Just finished reading this, after being pointed its' way some time ago through TVTropes (at least, I think that's where I got linked from).

First off: Great story! I suck at the constructive criticism thing, so I'm just going to say that, although this started in the summer hols and this last posted chapter is still in it, the story never suffered from pacing issues, as far as I could see. It never felt like it was dragging, never felt like most summer fics end up feeling when they've gone twenty or so chapters. Gracie is a wonderful character, you've left hints at things that I still want to know about like whatever Fleur saw, what exactly is the nature of Dumbledore's Oath (even though I can puzzle out some of it, in general terms at least), what's going on with the green fire/lightning, why Harry was able to go for most of the summer without food (okay, we've seen Harry surviving on subsistence rations in canon, and chalked it up to his magic, but not to this extent!), and a few more.

You had the logical outcome of the canon abuse (and even just what we saw through Harry's own eyes qualifies as abuse, not to mention any thoughts of what else surrounded those events), without the all-too-easy Dumbledore-bashing. You started the power growth that Harry should have had in canon, rather than winning through poorly-defined Deus Ex Machina. At the same time, Voldie isn't exactly sitting on his butt, either!

And character growth! Oh man, the character growth! I'm just going to say one name here: Dudley Dursely. You are one of the few authors I know of to have taken Dudley as he is in the books, and made him a likeable character through things that could believably happen! Some others have made him likeable by basically rewriting his entire personality/personal history, but then you've got an AU diverging before the first book and expecting it to turn out in roughly the same manner, rather than taking the books and building from them - not that there's anything wrong with that approach, either.

I know it's been almost four years since you've updated this, and your personal situation may not support writing more of this excellent story, or the muse/plotbunny might have flown away, or any number of other things, but know this: this has been fav'd, follow'd, and if I ever see an update for it, dammit I'm going to read it, even if that update occurs years from now and it means rereading the entire story to refamiliarise myself with this what leads up to the new chapter!

Eagerly waiting for more, *.*
pentium415 chapter 36 . 5/24/2013
Hey what’s going on? Here you have a wonderful story going and now there's not another chapter for me to read. : ( I really hope that you have the intention to continue. You have a great plot and really are an amazing writer.
hilow4322 chapter 36 . 4/2/2013
I reeeeeaaally wish you would update:( its KILLING ME having to wait.
P.s. I live in Austin too.
RagnartheSemiGreen chapter 36 . 2/20/2013
Hey, this is a great story! I discovered it four hours ago, and started reading immediately! The plot is good, the characters are great (and even in character! Amazing!) and your OC is immensely cool, unlike most HP OCs. It has been my pleasure reading this work, and I hope that you continue to be inspired to write!
nienerz chapter 36 . 1/3/2013
You are going to update, right? I love this story, it's amazing! Please continue!
brian chapter 1 . 10/22/2012
This story is really good. I really hope you update soon. You sent me a few chapters from to my email a few years ago. You may not remember me, I was in school at the time, but we exchanged a few emails and I think this story is great. Please update soon!
master-moehri86 chapter 36 . 6/29/2012
really fantastic story! love it. a little bit sad too, especially with Umbridge back in the picture. can't wait for the next chapter
BenignViewer chapter 36 . 6/21/2012
What a fantastic story. I know you've left it for a while (a long while, really P) but do sinerely hope you come back to it someday. I for sure will be waiting.

I disagree with some reviewers who have responded before me - criticizing your characterization of Harry and/or the Dursley's as OOC, but as a darker take on the Harry Potter series, I don't see where they are coming from.

On the matter of the Dursley's (namely Vernon and Petunia) being excessive in their abuse of Harry I would quote the Stanford prison experiment - where people who bore no ill will towards one another STILL abused those they were given absolute power over. In this story the Dursley's have been given just that, and with the already existing resentment there, I find your depicted environment believable, no matter how macabre.

As for Harry simply 'taking it' from the Dursley's and Umbridge and being OOC, I couldn't disagree more. Harry isn't submissive in this story at all, he is overly selfless - a trait of his which is one of his most lovable and yet also one of his biggest flaws. He thinks that by staying with the Dursley's he's keeping his friends etc. safe, because if he were staying with them then they'd be a bigger target for Voldemort. From reading the story, Harry seems to me to still run his lip at the Dursley's when he can get away with it, but with his natural survival instincts (honed by the years he lived in that house-hold) he is smart and aware enough to know when to avoid making things worse for himself. Harry isn't naturally a boisterous character - he avoids attention wherever possible - it's only when either his temper or his nobility flares that he stands up. And being used to the Dursley's I am right behind you (the Author) in your interpretation of him not standing up to the Dursley's at every opportunity.

Finally, the idea that Dumbledore would just go and blast his way in to the Dursley's is ridiculous in terms of his character - he is firmly against abusing those, especially who are powerless in comparison to him, regardless of their actions and attitude. Just look at Draco Malfoy for an example. I do think he would most definitely have interfered with the Dursely's treatment of Harry, don't get me wrong, Harry is obviously more valuable than his relatives in terms of the war, and Dumbledore doubtlessly cares about him, but you (the author) have already explained why he did not - he was out of communication presumably doing something else of dire importance, like when he went looking for the Horcruxes in the sixth book over the Summer and Christmas holidays.

Phew. Had to get that rant off my chest. One of my biggest pet peeves is ignorant reviewers who post one or two lines of criticism based off an instant reaction while failing to properly embrace and analyze the context and characterization of a story, especially one that deals with sensitive and dark themes, like this one. Especially in the case of this one, I think the sheer elegance and complexity with which it has been presented deserves no less than someone's full regard, but alas this is just my opinion and is not shared by everyone. An absolutely stellar story, with only few and far between hiccups in grammar and formatting, as perfect as any novel I've read, and flawless in comparison to the average standard of .

It has been said by the reviewer before me, and I'm sure I got at it above, but I will repeat anyway; This story has phenomenal characterization and a depth of plot, themes setting, which has had me enthralled since I discovered it. The concept of a 'bond' between Harry and Ginny (an exhausted idea, I was all but sure) is anything but cliche, and despite not dominating the story, makes this one of the greatest stories of that genre in and of itself. Your blending of 'Old Lore' style fantasy is seamless with the Harry Potter universe, and only gets better and more intriguing the more you development. I would love to see more, if and when (I'm being faithful P) you get back to it.

Until then my deepest gratitude for posting what you have thus far, and my best wishes for your future.

forevermagic chapter 1 . 5/23/2012
I decided to re-read this story last night, half convinced it couldn't possibly be as good as I remembered. Well, you proved me wrong. I love the complexity of the characters and it's absolutely killing me not knowing what the hell is up with Charlie. You've set up such a fantastic story, and I really hope you eventually continue it, because it would be a shame to let it go to waste. It is truly one of my all time favourite fanfictions, because it is an example of fanfiction at its best: building on the opportunities created by the world of the original. You've taken the best of Harry Potter, remixed it with something that almost reminds me of Dianna Wynne Jones' British 'old lore' fantasy novels like 'The Merlin Conspiracy', and created something truly compelling. I sincerely hope you continue it someday.
TheRedPoet chapter 6 . 2/13/2012
Emo!Harry is probably gonna scare away many readers.

I'm also pretty damn sure that Dumbledore would've responded to the Ministry's actions by blasting his way to Harry (If needed) and taking him.