Reviews for Just Like The Old Days PPC
Book girl fan chapter 3 . 12/15/2013
I'd love to be a PPC agent! I've read a lot of PPCs, though never written one, and I doubt I'll get to write one now, as this hasn't been touched in six years. If you ever get back to it, I'd love to PPC a fic.
Neshomeh chapter 2 . 3/1/2012
Hey there. I don't know if you're still active at this account, but I'm a current PPCer and I recently stumbled on this, so I thought I'd leave a review.

To be honest, I have a lot of concerns about this spin-off. I do like the idea you outlined in the prologue, following the journey of a former Mary Sue in the PPC, and I think the attitude shown by the SO is appropriate. However, in my experience, most agents don't go about jeering their own, no matter where they come from, since lots of them are rescuees from badfic. That made me a little uncomfortable to start with.

I'm even more uncomfortable with the idea that you moved your agents into Response Center F, Jay and Acacia's own response center. Did you get permission to do that? As far as I know, it's been off-limits forever, and just taking over like that without even the slightest qualm on the part of the characters suggests a fundamental lack of respect for the original that really puts me off. If you did get permission for it, it would have been nice to see Mackenzie and Nate tip their hats to J&A. A bit of "wow, I can't believe we're really here, and everything is right where they left it! Is it really okay for us to just take this stuff?" would have made the transition easier to accept.

Also regarding Original Series concepts, I think you've got Lux confused with somebody else. Lux is in the Department of Bad Slash, and as such doesn't generally go around killing Sues. She's also generally too ditzy to be THAT homicidal, and even if she did meet a Sue, she'd probably proposition it before trying to kill it. {; P

I'm not quite sure how I feel about Mackenzie, but I'm afraid I really don't like Nate as a person. Between the racist comments about how black Uruk-hai are and how casually he breaks Boromir's neck - BOROMIR, one of the canon characters he's supposed to be protecting - breaks his neck, which is not how he dies in canon, and Nate doesn't feel a single pang of regret . . . he just seems like a cold, heartless person. I can't see any reason for it in this chapter, either. Is it because he's stuck as a ghost and he's angry at the world, or did he have no empathy or morals to begin with? It's not clear, and it doesn't make me want to read more about him.

Mackenzie has potential to be an enjoyable character, but I'd like to see more effort on her part to overcome her Suvian side. Wanting to kill Arwen out of jealousy isn't very endearing, and strikes me as the sort of thing the SO warned her about at the beginning. If she doesn't worry and struggle over these things, then the whole premise of her redemption falls apart, and that would be a shame. It's a good premise.

I did enjoy some of the banter between the two agents. The classic clash of excitable newbie vs. staid oldbie makes for some enjoyable friction, and at least when they're mean to each other it seems like they're on equal footing, each giving as good as they get. I particularly liked the scene when they meet for the first time - Mackenzie's line, "Who are you and what do you want from my liver?", gave me a good chuckle. Livers are almost always funny. _

Some of my trouble with the chapter overall is the lack of scene breaks and transitions, which gave me a sense of whiplash as I tried to sort out what just happened from what was currently happening. I'm not sure some of that isn't just a failing of FFnet's formatting, so I don't want to go on about it too much, but I do think you could improve by paying more attention to Time, Person, and Place: WHERE is the action happening? WHO is it happening to? WHEN, and for HOW LONG? There were a few times I wasn't sure who was talking or doing an action, such as this section:

" 'For the thausandeth time, Mackenzie, calm down!' Nate was losing his patience, and as we all know, boys and girls, when PPC agents lose their tempers...

" 'That wasn't very nice.'

" 'Gag me with a pitchfork, please.'

" 'I don't have one, but I have poisoned arrows. Here-'

" 'That was sarcastic, you dimwit. Little Mary's reciting poetry.'

" 'And as touching as it is, it was never there; Sam hits the spot when he says that it's different. So different that canon couldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.' "

I could've sworn Nate hits Mackenzie, Mackenzie comments that it wasn't nice, Nate says gag me, and then Mackenzie says she has poisoned arrows . . . but I thought Mackenzie didn't take a bow and arrows, because she's not a good shot. She carried some through the first portal for Nate, but then Nate took them. So, did Nate say that? If so, did Mackenzie actually hit him? Why?

Also, the assassination had me scratching my head. I didn't get the impression from the badfic quotes that Aeronwen/Lexi was dumb enough to accept candy from an Uruk-hai, so the whole thing fell a bit flat. I'm also not clear on where the agents dumped her body - it doesn't sound like anything in canon I'm familiar with. You mentioned agents being able to dispose of Sues in other 'verses earlier, so was it something like that?

I don't know if you used a beta, but things like this are where they're really useful. You probably knew exactly what was going on when you wrote it, but since we can't read your mind, we need more hints. { )

Anyway, I hope this is useful to you, even if it is on an old story. Feel free to get in touch if you like.

Aeidhryn chapter 1 . 6/24/2010
The introduction, although done on a not-often-done, broad scope, is well done. NEXT!
Vaneria Potter chapter 2 . 12/23/2007
MST is 'Mystery Science Theatre', based on a hilareous old show of the same name.

Basically, it is a way of mocking horrible story/show/movie/whatever. The critics sit in what looks like a movie theatre and watch the movie while making snide and sarcastic comments on plotline, characters, overused themes and pretty-much anything else you can think of.

My Dad introduced me to it and I was in hysterical laughter before we made two minutes in.

By the way, some fics that badly need to be PPC'ed are anything by a ff.n author named 'just annother stupid idiot'.

Yes, that is the real pen-name, and how she spells it.

Given a good Bete, a strong dose of Canon-realism and a serious overhaul, her first story, a HP/LotR crossover 'snows of time', might eventually rate as tolerable. Until then, it places as one of the most senseless stories on he site, with the exception of deliberate badfic.

The first few chapters are actually somewhat good, if you discount the odd mis-spelled word, but then it really starts to deteriorate.

Unfortunatly, a polite and well-rounded review critique of each chapter, offering suggestions and corrections to the extent of my knowledge, as resulted in me being banned from the author's review and PM lists, and labelled as 'Umbridge-esque'.

Obviously, the author isn't listening to anythin that doesn't consist of mindless praise. Your turn to try.

Best regards,

Agent Tomato chapter 1 . 12/3/2007
It's always nice to see people giving the PPC the attention it deserves. However, I was wondering if you got the okay from the PPC Permission Givers before you published this fic. It strikes me as a bit unpolished, and I would be surprised if the PGs approved it. Not that the writing is bad, but the PGs can be pretty tough.

I also don't think I've ever seen you on the Posting Board; are you retired, or were you never fortunate enough to stumble across it?

Agent Tomato, RC#24601, DoMS
Ringbearingreasergal chapter 4 . 3/13/2007
LMAO-this is so original! I love it! Please update!
Dawn Searcher chapter 4 . 3/8/2007
Good to see you're back!

And good to see i'm back *grins* although the superpowers are a little...meh.

But overall, an excellent way of killing a 'Sue! You'd think that after all those killings, new and creative ways of eliminating them would run out...
swift hunter chapter 4 . 3/6/2007
Let the fire of the just, rain down from the heavens and burn their pillars of Tolkien treachery to the ground. Ahhemm...sorry...just one of those moments. I'll pass. Great chapter by the way...Death to the Sues!
EvilFuzzy9 chapter 1 . 2/17/2007
Hello there! This is wonderful, seeing the PPC tradition carried on.

So, you will want to recruit people for this story, no?

... Then so be it! I shall sign up!

Code Name: Grizzly Tim

Fandom(s): Naruto, Avatar the Last Airbender, Invader Zim, and Lord of The Rings

Lust object: None, really.

Reasons why I think I can handle a Sue: I am an intellectual. Not to mention irritable, chubby, and Scottish.

Well that's everything, I think... Oh wait! I should give you a badfic alert as well!

Title: The Ten Walkers

Rating: K plus

Crimes against canon: Self-insertion, Mary Sue, Legomance, Tenth Walker, and All-around lousiness.

Grr... I hope you tear it to pieces... Metaphorically speaking, of course.

I wish you good luck, comrade!
Ariadne'sThread chapter 1 . 12/29/2006
That is so true. Sometimes spinoffs are just a poor reflection of the original but, judging on what I've read, this is a really good story.

I love the idea of recruiting a Sue. I was planning on doing something similar with one of my earliest fanfiction characters who I'm too sentimental to get rid of, despite her being related to a canonical character.
NoLongerHere1985 chapter 2 . 12/20/2006
MST- Mystery Science Theater 30. In fanfiction, it means to have characters from a story read a terrible fic and make fun of it, not unlike a sporking.
swift hunter chapter 3 . 11/29/2006
Fantastic, I absolutely love the P.P.C idea. DEATH TO THE SUES!. Got a little off track there. sorry. Anyway I love your characters, I completely understand the chocolate thing aswell. I was like that before I was told I was alergic and every piece was me risking a reaction. Keep up the Sue torture. DEATH TO THE SUES! sorry it's a compulsion.
Dawn Searcher chapter 3 . 11/28/2006
Firstly, you should ignore that Rhamnousia's review unless Fanfic really bans this fic. You have supporters in this; you are never alone in the never-ending war of thoughts.

For that is what they are, Rhamnousia, just thoughts.

Wish you luck on your next mission, Agent Mackenzie

Rhamnousia chapter 1 . 11/28/2006
Right, so let's examine this, shall we? So you're trying to stop fanbrats from posting shit in this fandom by...posting MORE shit?

Ever heard the term 'flawed logic'? You might want to look it up. While you're at it, you may want to check out the site's TOS and guidelines as posting this is in violation of more than one of them.

Reality check, Agent Sweet Pea: You're clogging this category more than the fanbrats and their Lego-antasies. In fact, you're worse. They have stupidity as their defense.

What's yours?

Miss Nikori chapter 1 . 11/9/2006

First, this was supposed to be for chapter two, but my computer was being stupid.

But moving on:

I’m so glad to see another PPC Fic up- I thought created some rule or another banning them!

*evil laughter*

This is a brilliant fic! I can’t believe no one though of this sooner- a self insert as a PPC? _

One question- what caused Acacia to take an indefinite leave of absence... in Ancient Rome?

Update soon!