Reviews for Consacra
Prl16 chapter 9 . 11/20
Wow, this was so deep. So far all three stories are great, but the one that surprised me the most was 18, I started reading this because of Vegeta, but the way you write 18 is just marvelous, how she thinks and what's inside her mind. I liked her, but now I see her on a whole new light. Also, you depicted a very selfish Bulma, in her own way, and I loved it. I would be very happy if you continue this.
Yung Warrior chapter 1 . 2/21
Who would have thought that Dragon Ball Z, a cheesy action-adventure story about warriors named after foods, would lend itself so well to religious philosophy. It's a shame you never continued this story, as it really made an impact on me when I first read it.
meganechan720 chapter 9 . 2/19/2012
I really like this story; it's not often fanfic writers are bold enough to delve into philosophy and religion in their writing. I hope you are able to finish this some day. I especially like the way the three threads of the story started off separate but similar, and then slowly intertwined.
gingerfurr chapter 9 . 1/13/2012
This is an amazing story. It's deep and thought provoking. I really hope you continue with this one and update it soon.
Gohanroxme chapter 9 . 10/26/2011
This is really great. You've given me a lot to think about, actually. And it's really neat how you included religion . . . creative. This story is super intense, very . . . I really don't know what to call it, but there's this feeling. It's a really deep fic. I like it. I hope you continue soon! :)
Gohanroxme chapter 8 . 10/25/2011
:O Awesome chapter! That ending was so unseen . . . . I love how you do 18's emotions, btw. They're so . . . in character. I could imagine her being this way if she were distressed like that in the series. :) Great job.
Dweller of the Sacred Grove chapter 9 . 10/7/2011
It's a shame that this story has been on hiatus. Definitely one of my favorites of all time.
DBZLover4Ever chapter 9 . 9/5/2011
This story is truly incredible and really challenges your mind. You know a story is a great one when it causes you to really think after you read it. It's the first story that I have seen with real "religion" fitting into the Dragon Ball universe. I LOVE the beginning with Vegeta at confession, it's just so thought provoking. Thank you for writing such a great story and keeping me extremely entertained.
Dreamer E.V chapter 9 . 3/28/2010
Great story, I wish you would continue it.
BlackLioness chapter 9 . 10/10/2009
What a wonderful, well written and thought provoking story! You've done a great job with the characterisation, Vegeta, Piccolo, Eighteen and the others were spot on. It was very interesting to read this tale from three different perspectives and I liked that you gave every character the equal amount of 'screen time'.

Hmm, what themes were most prominent? The first one that comes to me is the theme of discovering, searching for oneself, his/hers place in the universe, his/hers purpose, a reason for being. Another one is that of family, the importance of relationships that people build between one another and the pain that comes when these ties are severed.

The part with the Son family was especially difficult to read (not because it was poorly written, I assure you) and it made me think how I would fare were my own family ever in the same situaion.

The existence of a power and a different plane of existence beyond the Kai's and the established version of afterlife is also very interesting and it made me wonder what has caused it to take a more active role in the lives of our heroes.

I hope you'll be able to continue this story someday, I'll keep an eye on it.
scaragh chapter 1 . 5/22/2009
Hey, this was totally not was I expected. But in a good way! It's just so different than how I would imagine a normal DBZ fic to start, lol. I just love the idea of Vegeta going to confession! And then feeling threatened by the priest (or is he? XD), someone who doesn’t use power or whatever, but rather truth and gentleness to make the person think and look inside himself. There were a few times it got a little heavy and I had to stop and re-read the sentence to understand it (I had to look up minutiae, lol), but that might just be my state of mind at the moment (which is tired), and it was mostly the beginning of the chapter anyways.

I really like how you used truth in this. It’s funny how often our experiences differ in our minds from what actually happened, or how another might’ve experienced it. Have you seen the film Rashomon, by Akira Kurosawa? It’s about a murder/rape in a forest, and the story is retold from the viewpoint of four different characters, which really makes you think about how you perceive things. That's always fun to think about.

Anyways, I look forward to reading more. I'm really curious to get to the one your class read! I’m going out of town for a week starting tomorrow, but rest assured, I’ll be back to read more!
RaCM chapter 6 . 4/29/2009
Loving the story so far. You're very deep with your characterizations of everyone.
Adnawun chapter 1 . 6/11/2008
Wow, this was/is really amazing. The first and only thought provoking DBZ fic I've come across.

I love how you've drawn the characters in this - their fears, their wants (or lack thereof with 18).

Just a really well written piece.
Jeki chapter 1 . 5/3/2008
First of all I would like to express my appreciation for this marvelous peace of work and to thank you for it. Your story is not just an entertaining fanfic , but covers several profound topics – and to discover such a challenging fanfic (especially as it is related to a rather superficial oevre, like DB) was a delightful experience.

It is really amazingly done, you are a talented writer (probably you are used to be hearing it, but anyway)! Your story is well build up– it is obvious that you have not spared with time and thought before starting off. The thrilling line of action is interwoven with delicate philosophical matter – not at least due to the three parallel character threads.

I have read all of your stories related to DB and liked all of them so much that I decided to review, which I normally do not do. So, once again – thumbs up.

But now to your questions:

With regard to your first question – in my opinion the search for the true self and the longing for the inner harmony seems to be the first dominant thread in the story. Regardless of whether it is Vegeta looking for his “place of origin”, or 18 not knowing how she should handle the inability to feel, or Piccolo grasping his three-fold personality – all of them try to find out about the true reasons for their actions as well as their being in general. Your choice of characters is remarkable: Not to mention that the three have experienced the transformation from evil to good, all of them are united by a far more complicated issue: they failed –subconsciously or due to reasoning– to fulfill their ultimate goal. Your interpretation of how they deal with this common problem is very interesting.

The second topic which is prominent in your story is the freedom – the freedom “to” and freedom “from “, the ubiquitous theological question. I must admit, that the realization of this one being one of the main topics, daunted on me only at the end of the last chapter. How this could possibly happen… I do not know...After reading the first part about Vegeta and the priest I actually perceived the importance of it, but in the course of the story it slipped away, receded into the background, or at least became less dominant … in order to reappear with fresh impetus in the last chapter. To be frank, I had the impression that this was made on purpose (or I just should stop reading at 4:00 PM…).

In this context it is appropriate to turn to the topic of religion in your story. It certainly takes a great deal of the story, especially in the last chapter, but you have not overdone it. Moreover, the religious connotation made it possible for you to embark on this profound exploration of the meaning of the dragonballs and not at least Namek and its universal role. This is one further point in which I find your story outstanding.

Additionally, I have made an observation (not on this story in particular but in general whenever religious themes are involved): the more knowledgeable your readership is in terms of religion, the more distinct and powerful your implications grow… and vice versa: for someone without any basic understanding of religious concepts those details do not play any major role.

At this point it is to be stated that I am not religious and probably not faithful in so far as this term is understood by the majority. I do not go to church or accept any religious believes but I have a certain conviction that “faithfulness” is rather the matter of interpretation. Therefore I regard religion as a mixture of historical events and the intricacies of human philosophy, both of them producing a moral codex, not more but not less. That’s why I did not mind what you call “religious overtones” at all; it was rather delightful to see how they give the whole idea of DB more weight and depth. Last but not least: you have managed to create an awesome mixture of DB story and the philosophical thinking, it is impressive how exactly you have measured the amount of religious matter to inject it into the story and how considerately you have chosen the places to set the needle. It could be the reason why it goes so smoothly down with the reader.

Another astonishing turn in your story was the perspective from which you cast a light (or rather shadow ;)) on Son Goku’s family life. Your point of view is quite different from which we are used to from the original. What I liked in particular was your exploration on the relationship between Gohan and Piccolo. The scenes with the two are delicious!

And one more thing about metaphorical make up: I have not been able to get this image of gambling between Vegeta and the priest out of my head for three days. I have not felt like that since I read Shakespeare four years ago. But I do want to refrain from going that far into detail…in fact your linguistic performance is so great that I could write pages and pages about it solely.

Well, your second question is the most difficult one, expectedly. Certainly your story has triggered off some thinking on my part, or - which is more exactly - rethinking. The topics you confronted were not new to me, and it was nice to see them embedded into such a surprising environment. But it would take too long to put it down on paper in an appropriate manner, not some stream-of-consciousness technique.

I understand that writing at that high level demands time and inspiration, but you have not updated since months. You have obviously dropped this story. That would be a pity because I have become pretty fond of it. Is there any possibility to find out?
Musette Fujiwara chapter 9 . 11/1/2007

I just begun reading your story... well I started this morning...

I loved it how you put the three characters that nvolves so may dark traits...

now about the questions I only gonna answer one because I really don't know what to say to the other one...

This story made me re-think some of my past actions that rpobably I shouldn't meddle with, but it did, made me remember them and if I had a different approach...

It also made me think about other things I never considere till now... Like what Bulma says about the stars and that... but it specially it made me think about the thing's I take for granted...