Reviews for Figuring out Family
amyh52 chapter 31 . 2/25/2014
Great original story.
amyh52 chapter 8 . 2/25/2014
I love how you provided a visual and tactile sesation whith the blue soap and the bubbles"forming in her hands"
amyh52 chapter 1 . 2/24/2014
great start
Ha-seon chapter 31 . 9/6/2013
You know what? I really appreciate this story a lot. Not only do I think it's a realistic take on the progression of their relationship, it's extremely well-written. AND I actually liked Katy, which is a bit of a shocker, considering that a lot of newly introduced characters to add to the plot in fanfiction do not generally go over well with me. The only thing that I think could have been expounded upon would be the whole thing with Abby, but it's not really a pressing detail, in the end.

This story is excellent.
Mae Snapdragon chapter 18 . 11/14/2011
You know, with some of the Dasey on this site, I just can't visualize it actually happening. But Casey grabbing Derek's hair and yanking his head so he'd look at her, and him pretty much letting her because he's in a very sad mood was something I could actually see happen in canon. I can see Mike's face making the face that I am picturing in your fanfic, and I can hear Ashley's voice speaking the words you are writing. High praise, my friend.
daydreambuff chapter 31 . 11/8/2011
To highlight how much I like this story, before I get to the gritty details, I'd like to say I read this in one day and am only stopping at three in the morning.

So, In the beginning... You hadn't found you're groove.

When you were describing in particular detail that shirt I was positive that you were going to somehow integrate it into every single one of the following chapters. Thankfully, you didn't. I could see what you were building up to with Abby, so I kept with things.

When you found your groove, I can't remember when, things got really good. Your use of an actual plot was much appreciated, let me tell you. (Such things are often ditched in favor of angst/UST/ resolving UST/emotions, you understand.) Your portrayal of Abby was thankfully, not simplistic. If she had fallen into the fanfiction trap of all abuse is physical and completely without reason, she would have been a lame sort-of antagonist. But she was verbal, to certain targets, and managed to be pleasant to many a person who didn't fail to meet her expectations or tick her off. Her WASP-ish nature came out of nowhere though. I mean, what on earth?

There was a moment when I questioned what exactly your characterization of Casey was, because it wasn't something that popped out at me. But then I realized how much I liked it. She is the things we see in the show: passionate, intelligent, responsible, caring, organized, prone to work herself up into fits of whatever. But at times they are displayed with subtley.

She isn't abrasive or irritating as she can be sometimes when manipulated in-show to suit the writers needs as a sitcom, which by nature is going to fall into some stupidly sociopathic ways (a sitcom, that is).

Derek is the sort of character who needs to be perplexingly complicated and therefore mysterious. It's practically the premise of Life with Derek. I got that in your portrayal. You gave him depth without explaining it, in how Casey understood him, or when she watched him play hockey. You didn't glorify him because of his hotness or give him some painfully forced damage that the heroine can fix or swoon over while the audience inserts themselves into heroines role as Florence Nightingale... Sorry, I'll stop ranting. It's like 4AM. Anywhoo, I found myself wanting to know about his revelation of attraction if he felt it so much earlier than Casey. Plus, awesome big brothers are just awesome. By that I mean his Smarti interaction was adorable.

I adore Lizzie and Edwin's data collections. Just, adore.

Lizzie having her own subplot was a great touch. The fans often ignore her and having that acknowledged in-story and remedied to a point was nice.

Marti was fantabulous. Just wonderful. Both crazy and insightful, adorable without being annoying, and someone you wanted to read about. Her interactions brought good things and you used her fantastic character well.

George just wasn't present much. It's actually possible he's your most underused character in this story.

Which is notable for reasons I'll get into. Later.

I liked Nora. I loved it when Casey told her about her feelings. It was a pretty unique thing for me to read in a fic and made sense for the both of them.

However, it was a unfair for Nora to just go "well, your a responsible teenager with raging hormones. Even if I acknowledge there's nothing REALLY wrong with this I expect you to deal with everything entirely on your own because that's perfectly reasonable." I'm exaggerating I know, but WTF?

Anyway, I can't recall if Katy is actually canon or not but if she's an OC, good job cuz I can't tell.

Your use of Emily was pretty well done. I saw an actual friendship present instead of just stating for the audience

"Yup. These two are BFF's. Watch how they spend no time together and are shown to never hold a conversation not relevant to the lead couple."

Her freaking out for a bit over Casey's feelings for Derek was human, and appreciated. It was clear that her crush wasn't serious and she held an idolized view of him.

Really, I'm impressed with how you handled everyone of these characters. You used a cast to a fuller extent than most would bother with and they held onto their original nature's.

This was a Dasey story, but relationship stuff took backseat to the Marti conflict so often that it ended up being more than just Dasey.

Your title choice was pretty excellent in the end.

The only character that seems underused now that I look at it is George, and that's only because he's someone's parent and it seems he should have been doing more stuff.

I'm tired so these are going to be some fragmented sentences. Screw coherence.

Liked your theories on Klutzilla.

Arguments: thumbs up (because with Dasey, arguments are very important).

With the Marti conflict I liked how the heroine got to save the day without Mary Sueing it up. Though it felt a bit sudden with the "You are deemed an unfit mother" and everything is resolved. But I was ready for it to be over so no harm no foul.

I liked how you focused on building a relationship that seems in the end to be based on more than raging hormones. I'm used to people going crazy with the steamy and the smut, but you held back. Which I appreciate. Believe me, it makes me an awful lot more comfortable.

And am I ever thankful for that epilogue. People need closure and fluff after fighting through 104,000 words (I really need to sleep) for a resolution.

You should maybe change your genre and get family in there next to the romance because it really fits with the story. Though you do have it in the title so maybe your covered *yawn*.

I think that's all. I probably forgot some stuff.

I hope my rambling conveys how much I enjoyed reading. And if you got back with Life with Derek (because eventually I'll have read everything else you've written on the fandom) and wrote more, I'd totz read it. I can't believe I just wrote totz. How do you spell that anyway? Goodnight.
alphaladywolf chapter 31 . 5/23/2011
Loved this. Drama. Well-witten. Realistic.
LivingVampire chapter 31 . 11/14/2010
This story probably went a little bit slower than I would have liked. However, it was a great story.
Caris L. Clearwater chapter 31 . 9/4/2010
Great story! I loved the plotline and the eventual Dasey conclusion. Very well written and in character.

-peace
buffyangelinfinitdesire chapter 31 . 2/10/2010
loved it!
ronandhermioneareforever chapter 8 . 10/13/2009
Really great story! :D
Avide chapter 24 . 9/20/2009
Holy crap, Casey TOLD George and Nora! Oh wow! You hit me with that!
SusanMarieS chapter 31 . 8/29/2009
great story just felt like it was missing afew chapters. but thank you very much for the effort. it really was very good.
DarkBelieverAnge chapter 31 . 7/4/2009
i loved this story! it kept me reading until the end!
Azhmyr Athena Le-Fay chapter 31 . 6/17/2009