Reviews for Lessons Learned along the Way
sangi chapter 1 . 11/1/2014
This was really beautiful and wonderful. I loved the insight into these characters and the interplay between them. Each scene was great. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Midan no Hatake chapter 1 . 8/19/2014
Ow. Owowowowowowowowow. My eyes... um.. I got something in both of them. I'm fine. Damn you, Minato.
A MIdsummer chapter 1 . 4/2/2013
Lessons learned through the years. All somehow managing to include the Yellow Flash. Hmm...interesting.
none-so-lovely chapter 1 . 6/14/2012
Rilina,

Hello! I'm writing this though I realize it's been 5 1/2 years since "Lessons Learned along the Way" was published and a few years since you've been active on this site. I read this story a long time ago but didn't bother doing anything with my account back then. Now I'd like to use it and, being that this is one of my favorite Naruto fics I've ever read, I wanted to leave a review. This is also my favorite fic of yours period, and I've read all of your Naruto fics.

Each part of this genfic is, quite simply, perfect. I can offer no constructive criticism—only praise. I agree that this story benefits from the structure you've used. The disjointed vignettes, skipping back-and-forth through time, add a sense of the story progressing to the poignant finish even while they're nostalgic.

The young dying before the old is such a tragic reminder of how unfair life can be. At the same time, the older survivors taking care of the younger generation's children is beautiful and evokes that there's hope for the future. The characters and the events of their lives might not be created by you, but you've captured the heart of the events—and thus the soul of the message—and painted it in such an emotional way.

The third roman numeral touched me the most. This line, especially, gets me every time: "Yondaime figures out how to die on his own."

This story is agonizingly beautiful. It's the kind of thing that touches you deeply and leaves an impression. It will always be a favorite of mine.

One last thought: I hope that wherever you are, and whatever you're doing, in life you still have time to write, because you are fantastic.

Cheers,

None So Lovely
Crazycally chapter 1 . 5/7/2012
That was really deep, thank you
cerise888 chapter 1 . 5/26/2011
You know, this is the BEST Naruto fic I've read, ever. What strings all these memorable characters together is nothing less than the inextinguishable Will of Fire, passed down from one generation to another, and BOY do you nail that theme! I literally had shivers reading this... A truly incredible piece of work. Thank you, thank you for sharing it!
Seriously Yours chapter 1 . 9/17/2010
So very beautiful :)
Medicinal Biscuit chapter 1 . 5/27/2010
The last line of this is absolutely tragic. I loved your characterization of him. Perfect!
The Holey Gred and Forge chapter 1 . 4/23/2010
Oh god. I thought I was going to cry near the end. Really heart wrenching, I loved it. Minato needs more love on . Favorited.

- Mei
ProcastinationIsKey chapter 1 . 8/8/2008
BAH!

the last line made me want to hit the screen

as if Konoha helps *pfft*

but Sandaime, Jiraiya and Kakashi do :D

Really good fic, not too confusing with the order you placed the scenes in but just confusing enough to keep people alert and attentive :D
chibi heishi chapter 1 . 5/27/2008
Yet again, very good. This one is a little confusing because of the jumping back and forth in time, but it's still very good.
openwindow4 chapter 1 . 12/6/2007
for some reason, i laughed at the last line in I. i don't really know why, cause it's not all that funny, but i did.

anyway, this was REALLY awesome - it captured the ephemeral tone to shinobi lives, and i especially like the picturesque/snapshot-like feel to each of the vignettes (helped by the fact that they're not in chronological order - that adds to the literary value).

i also love how they seem to have some hidden moral or last word before ending, and how they all see sandaime as a rock - these are all characterizations and nuances that are easily forgotten - like the feel that someone will be there forever, or that even in war, the pace does not ever stop, even in the face of birth. (i especially like that vignette, because of the subtle contrast)

faved!
Ami Angel chapter 1 . 11/22/2007
very good and depressing.
Funkitated chapter 1 . 7/15/2007
My eyes started watering about halfway through. The writing style may have been unconventional, but it was perfect. The little tidbits about lessons learned - great. The specific range of character focus and time period was great too. The worst part had to have been the depressing factor. However, it was necessary to do the spot on take of the whole sad factor of the Team 7 teacher-student legacy. Wonderful piece.
Tatsumaki-sama chapter 1 . 6/29/2007
I loved it! All of them. They were so touching and made me want to cry. Yondaime was such a great man. I wish there were more moments of him in the manga/anime.