Reviews for Dance with the Devil
Silver Kitten chapter 3 . 11/28/2006
Yay, I can finally review this last part! I had tried before, but I kept getting an error...and then later a lot of the site was going down (still ticks me off, but what can you do?). Anyways, I'm here now, reviewing, and that's what matters.

Firstly, the entire scene with Dean and the knife twirling in the dark? All that went through my head was:

"ABUIIORMABIAOEJALIKGHA;HFNA BFEAU BUA FBGEAU BAEBGJ;SE NAKABGVE ANDSZOXBEBALFNCO AHU;ESANBJAKLDNJA;AGJSLF GJFLFL;;AFABFAEB ABNEUXMRO LIRNDNAHSKGL ASFHJKLA"- And those were the *coherent* thoughts. You literally melted my brain, but it couldn't have been done in a more stimulating, provocative way, and I thank you for that.

"“Sorry I ran out on you there,” he mumbled, his voice low. Sorry I left you alone in the motel room. Sorry I left you to be sacrificed to a Pagan god in Burkitsville. Sorry I left you to go to Stanford. " Oh, Sammy, Sammy, Sammy...forever the sorry one, but so cute at it.

Ah, and then he laughs! I love that bit, all the mental anguish coming out in fountains of hysterics. That's just great, and really makes Sam human. Seriously, it can't be normal to be a puppy-face-emo-sulk-in-my-own-shadow-sidekick-geekboy 24/7 (no matter how well he plays that part, or how much I love him when he plays that part, because then we get big-brother-protective-defender-anti-chick-flick-but-makes-you-feel-better-anyway Dean. Wow, sorry for all the hyphens...).

"He could barely see through the tears, but Dean lifted his head and looked at him, a shocked expression marring his otherwise frighteningly stoic countenance." *drools* What a great use of words. You make the use of vocabulary, twisting it into something inventive and beautiful and insightful, look so easy-it must be like...breathing, for you, or something. Don't even have to think about it, it just happens (unless sometimes you're like Sam and as such find your way into countless moments of being strangled...but, then again, Dean's there to save you...*le sigh*)

"A hesitant hand lay itself on Sam’s shoulder, and suddenly it wasn’t funny anymore."

Wonderful transition for Sam, to have Dean there. To be honest, I had been kind of quietly giggling also, as Sam was laughing himself to tears...but then I read that line, and I stopped laughing, too.

"nice to see you, here’s a psychotic burst of energy, now I’ll be on my merry way." And then I laughed again.

"“He told me to tell you that he loves you.”

The pang in his chest intensified, even though Sam knew it wasn’t true,"

And then right there? I just died. Fell out of my chair, heart stopped beating, no oxygen, no blood flow, no life. I just died. The cause of death is still unknown...it might have been from the utterly tragic beauty of those sentiments, either: 1) Dean saying that to Sam even if it wasn't true, he was just being a damn good big brother, and 2) Sam knowing it wasn't true, but not calling Dean out on it, because Dean was being a damn good big brother. Or it was a mixture of both.

*sigh* And, gotta say, I love for how serious the issues were that have been dumped between them, they are able to laugh, to talk-and no, there isn't any final resolution, but that's okay. I know you said you were writing this without plans of an extended plot seeing the demon thing carried out. And I so love this for what it is. A slice of life, of their brotherhood, of how no matter what...there'll always be M&M wars. _

You know it all already, but I loved this. Love your writing. Love you.

Thank you so much for writing this. And I apologize for my delay in reviewing.
rozzy07 chapter 3 . 11/19/2006
Wow, amazing slant on what Papa Winchester told his oldest and how his youngest finds out. Sam's initial explosive reaction was to be expected but the gentler more atuned Sam returning ot his brother, who himself has bottled up a whole world of hurt, was wonderfully explored. Dynamite stuff. Loved it totally.
Silver Kitten chapter 2 . 11/19/2006
I'm back! Sorry it took a few more days than planned to get to these reviews...A plot bunny assaulted me after Thursday's episode, maybe even possessed me...huh, now that I think of it, shoulda had Sam and Dean come excorcise me...among...you know, other things...*ahem* Oh, and then Friday after work- we got a new puppy! And boy, is he one bundle of energy! Kinda like a thunderbolt...and, ironically, we named him Zeus. *sigh*

Anyways, enough blah-ness (excited as I may be, lol). Okay, on to the actual review...which, I'm not certain the alerts are working...but, the show must go on (at least in the ficcing world...damn hiatus!)

"But there it was, stretching out in front of him like a vast, empty wilderness," Wow, I love how Dean interprets the motel room as 'wilderness'...it just really suits the tone of his emotions and perception without Sam there.

"In dreamlike slow motion, Dean slid to the floor, his back rubbing against the tauntingly bright wallpaper until he sat, knees up, against the wall. It wasn’t supposed to be like this."

Oh, _wow_ my heart broke into tine pieces and then disintegrated into my hollow chest cavity. But for Dean (and your writing) I'll glady refrain from having a pulse. But seriously, those lines really brought everything into perspective for me. So powerful and sad, and the structure of the words so well put together. That image is forever alive in my head...and it'll just keep repeating.

Oh oh oh! I really like the passages about cleaning guns and forgetting about the past lest you drown...and how that's Dean's mantra is to forget and not dwell, and clean guns...and then you have the line "He’d learned from the best: John, who’d always had the cleanest guns known to mankind." And that just put a whole new spin on the passages for me. John always in the present, moving forward...even at times away from his kin he moved ahead so far. *sigh* Really great double twist on angst for Dean.

And, gotta say, the way you exploited John's secret truth amid Dean's anxious gun cleaning...just perfect, such a literary treat to see it played out that way.

"Sucking in a breath, Dean chucked the gun across the room, watched it dent the feeble wall and clatter noisily to the floor. Then he released the breath, slowly, and felt a bit more calm."

Aww! Dean! *holds him tightly*

And then, when the guns are clean and sparkling from Dean's saliva...*drool*

"A wave of anger welled within him, and he knew why: it was because he’d learned from the worst. The absolute worst.

His father lived in the present because that was the only way he could survive being stuck in the past. He was always in the past, couldn’t get past the past. And there was no future for him."

BAM! Every thing switches...from best to worst, just like that...and Dean must be so disappointed (and terrified) that his father's methods to get on with life have now been proven as useless. And he realizes John couldn't esape his past...and that maybe he can't escape his.

Dean plus knife plus lamp equals total "Guh!"
Sepik chapter 3 . 11/18/2006
That was cool. :D Very in character, and also probably what John told Dean. Or at least it was plausable. :D I liked this fanfic.
Silver Kitten chapter 1 . 11/15/2006
Finally! Even though I only got 4 and 1/2 hours of sleep last night, just got off of work after a long day, I don't care...I am taking a fresh, clean slate of time and throwing myself into this story. So, here goes...

Um, who loves the title? *raises both hands emphatically*

Okay, the whole thing about all the hotels they've been in...heehee. But I dunno 'bout you, I could really be entertained by seeing Dean on a vibrating mattress, lol. But uh, back to the story...

I love how the beginning is set up, describing (giving great mental pictures) the colorful motel...but then Sam notices that Dean hardly notices it, and just from that gesture we see how detached Dean is from it and so "inside" himself with worry and pain. And I love that Sam sees it and immediately, in his own way, starts to get Dean to talk. The whole discussion was entertaining, and I really appreciate all the added input as to what the characters are doing as they talk, and exactly how their speech is. It really widens the image and the universe you have going on and it's so easy (and fun) to get lost in it.

For instance,

-“So,” Sam tried as he swiveled his upper body in the chair, cracking his back. “What do you think?”-

and

-“Sorry. Your theory about Aswangs is fascinating,” he deadpanned, drawling out the last word in dry sarcasm.-

Those stuck out to me as particularly well written...of course, the entire thing is well written, but I can't quote the entire story in this review box...may become a bit redundant. _

And, oh, Dean's defensive nature towards the Demon angle as soon as Sam brought it up...I LOVED how the conversation was lit up by that.

"There was something hard, fierce, in his tone like the sharp edge of broken glass that would have made any sensible person back off before getting cut."

*melts* Dean...

"“Come on, man. If you don’t talk to me, I’m going to tie you down and play Justin Timberlake music until you break.”"

*cringes* Sammy plays dirty...*giggle* But that is a major threat right there, especially for Dean, lol...

AH! Wrist grabbing! I LOVE IT. Rain check! I LOVE IT! “Dad knew.” I shivered, seriously...LOVE IT. So ominous, so knowing, and soon so revealing...

I tell ya, I've imagined what the final, big "reveal" will be like for Sam and Dean before...but THIS is just so fitting and, honestly, one of the more relaxing of circumstances. Like you say in the summary, it's some cheesy motel room...not some dark cave, haunted house, some hospital where one of their lives is hanging in the balance. It's so simple, so raw and so defined in their world. It's an interesting speculation and it fits.

And wow, great spin on what John told Dean. I much rather prefer Sam being turned than already being a Demon (implying John and Mary both weren't Sam's parents...meaning Sam and Dean weren't really brothers...).

Anyway then, Sam's whole reaction was painful and beautiful to read, and *see* as you write so vividly. He was frightened, just wanting to run (that's sexy, by the way), feeling like the walls were closing in, Dean's far away, and not being able to breathe...poor guy, he can never get enough oxygen it seems.

Guh.

Yeah, when your summary says "dark themes" I say "*clicking into favorites*" :D

Now, so you know, I have read this up until the end...but I spent a lot of time on reviewing this one chapter, and now I've got to sleep or I won't function tomorrow...yeah, I'm a wimpy baby...go and say it. But, I will review the other two parts tomorrow...after I catch up with sleep, if you don't mind. I want to be as coherent as possible while I smother you with much deserved praises. :)
Ster1 chapter 3 . 11/12/2006
Awesome execution of a very difficult concept. I loved that there was no easy resolution but the brothers' relationship is so solid, it withstood the shock of the reveal. And their respective reactions and voices were so in character, I could see this happening in canon.

Looking forward to reading more of your writing!
friendly chapter 3 . 11/11/2006
good job... I really liked that
Nana56 chapter 3 . 11/10/2006
Very good!
tsweeny chapter 3 . 11/10/2006
I thought that this was a good story and enjoyed reading it.
Nate and Jake chapter 3 . 11/10/2006
I liked this story. You did a great job with it.
MistyEyes chapter 3 . 11/10/2006
Very nicely done, I enjoyed it a lot.
Jennygeee chapter 3 . 11/10/2006
Loved it - especially the game with the M&Ms at the end (I bet Dean won!).
irismay42 chapter 3 . 11/10/2006
Fabulous last chapter! I could so see the M&M war in my head! Thanks for this story - I hope they do it justice in the series!
nolongeractivedfgdfgd chapter 3 . 11/9/2006
wow i absolutely adored it. Awesome, just wow. Nice job.
Poaetpainter chapter 3 . 11/9/2006
Man I'd love to read a continuation of Sam becoming a demon