Reviews for Within My Hands
stealthyone chapter 8 . 11/27/2006
Good final chapter. You tied up the story nicely, and you get bonus points for shower!Dean and shirtless!Dean. *g*

Favorite lines:

Dean shifted his eyes to the door separating the two rooms. “He’s not gonna like having that closed.”

*g* Dean knows Sam so well.

“Man, I so need a shower,” he said on a groan.

“Want any help?”

He had begun to roll very slowly, carefully into a sitting position, but froze at her comment, his eyebrow’s quirking up at her. She blushed, realizing how her question sounded.

“That’s not what I meant.”

*snickers*

Her movements with him suggested that he both belonged to her and she was borrowing him.

Nicely written.

She lifted an eyebrow at that, and with the grace of a gymnast rid them both of the rest of their clothing with barely a sound and without his having to move.

“Wow,” he said. “Should I be worried about how good you are at that?”

LOL!

“You ever think about quitting?”

“You can’t quit what you were born to be.”

I really like this, not just because of the basic truth of it, but because the lines could be equally spoken by both characters. They apply to both Brenna and Dean.

“What about you?”

Dean’s mouth relaxed into a grin. “Oh, I got some.”

In more ways than one. *snickers*

He wondered how long it was going to be before there were too many memories and not enough places to hide.

Nicely phrased.

He leaned in and pressed his lips to hers, not touching her anywhere else, connecting to her one last time. Sam folded his mouth into a small smile, dropping his eyes.

I love Sam’s reaction here.

he knew with absolute certainty that if anything ever happened to Dean… if he ever lost him, he wouldn’t survive it. He’d survived Jessica because of Dean… he’d even survived the loss of their mom. But he knew the one person he couldn’t lose was his brother.

Nicely written, and yeah, Sam would be lost without Dean, just as Dean would be lost without Sam. Oh, *boys.*

He heard Dean sigh over the rumble of the Impala’s engine as he shifted to a comfortable position in the passenger seat, reaching over with his left hand to clap Sam on the shoulder.

“Damn, it’s good to be home.”

Nice ending. I figured Dean’s idea of home involved Sam and the road and the car. :)

Great story! A nice, long, satisfying piece, with solid characterization, an exciting plot, good action, lovely h/c, and great banter and dialogue. The pacing worked very well, leading the reader from scene to scene and chapter to chapter in a seamless fashion.

Thanks for a great read, and I look forward to more of your stories. :)
stealthyone chapter 7 . 11/27/2006
Nice chapter here. I really enjoyed Dean chewing out Beth and Paul. I know they had their reasons for what they did, but they deserved some censure.

Dean’s long, painful trip to the hotel and subsequent breakdown was really well done, and I loved how Sam kept grounding him to reality.

Favorite lines:

This Dean was bruised and broken. This Dean was weak from fever. And this Dean needed him just as much as the other one had.

Aww. Dean always needs Sam.

“He listened to you,” Joss said to Dean, a touch of amazement in his voice. He looked down, saying softly, “Ki sa se bon.” He looked back up and met Dean’s weary gaze, repeating, “That is good.”

Dean shook his head once. “When he listens to you…that is good.”

I really like Dean making that distinction.

She just blinked at him. Her eyes remained their normal gold-green. They didn’t widen to see him further – she was just looking at him, at what he wanted her to see. She didn’t press further.

I *love* this, that she doesn’t look any deeper than she has to, that she doesn’t pry. Nice.

“Dude, you are a mess,” he said.

At that, Dean raised an eyebrow, a spark of life in his eyes, “It’s been one of those days,” he claimed.

*g*

Oh, *Dean.* *cuddles him*

“I threw an eight inch knife in his neck to the hilt.”

“What were you aiming for, his heart?”

A brief laugh escaped. “To the hilt, man. Who cares what I was aiming for?”

*g* I love Dean’s quip and Sam’s comeback.

“Dude, that stopped working when you were eleven.”

“Sixteen.”

“Still.”

*snickers* Face it, Dean. Sam’s always owned you, and he still owns you.

“You have to… I don’t know… be careful with him.”

Brenna’s eyes softened at that. “Better not let him hear you say that,” she replied.

Sam grabbed her hand and her attention. “I need you to hear me.”

Great dialogue. Sam says so much in that last line.

“Dean, he is innocent. And guilty. And human. Just like everyone else,”

Nicely stated.

“Dean,” she said softly. “Sam is your innocence.”

I *love* that. It’s beautiful and so, so true.

In minutes his eyes blinked closed, and he sighed, his head drifting to the side in sleep.

Aww, sleepy Dean. He's so cute when he sleeps. *pets him*
pengwin-jibberish chapter 8 . 11/27/2006
I adored your story. It took me a litle while to realize it was finished due to the alerts being down but I'm very glad I got to read it down.

I liked the pacing and length of this story. It didn't drag but it had enough substance so that it didn't seem short either. I look forward to reading your future work.
sams1ra chapter 7 . 11/27/2006
"somewhere inside Dean he knew that it was never going to be over. Not for him. This was it for him. Survive to defeat evil and save innocence… save the innocence in everyone but him." so, so sad… I liked the stare-downs and the brotherly banter. I totally went aw at the parts about Dean's/Sam's innocence. The ending? Beautiful.
brighette chapter 8 . 11/27/2006
OK, I started reading last night and you have me finishing it up here at work! That's how caught up I was - I couldn't wait until tonight to find out what happened to our poor lost Dean. Loved it, great job. And I'm still okay with Brenna as a recurring character, but not a 3rd passenger - just FYI ;) Though it is your world and you make the rules!

Anyway, you do a great job letting Dean need help and being...broken...without him sacrificing what makes him Dean. That's a hard line to walk, and you rarely even lose your balance, so kudos! Adding you to my favorite author list...can't wait for the promised more to come!
mtee1958 chapter 8 . 11/27/2006
So that's Dean's home. This was a great story. I really love Brenna. I don't usually like original characters, but you have her just perfect. When she's with Dean - they are sweet and wonderful and it's sad when they have to leave each other - but it's just as well. She's his anchor when he needs it.

Thanks.
stealthyone chapter 6 . 11/27/2006
What I really liked about this chapter is its overarching theme about having faith in each other. Dean, Sam and Brenna all needed to believe in each other, and no matter how tough it got, they did so. Nice. :)

Other things I liked: Dean avoiding Brenna’s eyes at the beginning so she didn’t see into him, because yeah, Dean isn’t much for sharing his inner feelings with people; Dean worrying about Sam even when he’s hurt, because that’s just what big brothers do; Dean taking comfort in the moment from “Shadows,” which really was a great moment, not only because Dean got to hug John, but because Sam and John clicked for the first time in years; and Dean testing Sam to make sure Sam isn’t a trick, which was just a very well-written segment full of good tension.

Favorite lines:

Sam saw Brenna’s shoulders stiffen, and he slid his eyes askance to Joss, saying softly, “Hold on to something.”

*g*

His dark side shook her, and his light blinded her.

Beautifully written, such a great way of describing him and the way she reacts to him.

He blinked. She’d asked him to do that before. And if he recalled correctly, the end result was that he’d been taken and tortured by a banshee.

She narrowed her eyes, knowing where his thoughts were going. “So not my fault.”

LOL!

He just hoped something would occur to him before it was too late.

“It’s too late now,” the deep voice whispered through his head and again in a blink, the witch was in front of him, her hands reaching for his throat.

Creepy little moment here.

almost instinctively Dean wrenched his arm from Sam’s grasp. Sam blinked at that. This Dean wasn’t bruised and broken. This Dean wasn’t weak from fever. This Dean…

“Sam! What the hell are you doing here?”

… was pissed.

*g* Yeah, Dean doesn’t want Sam’s life in jeopardy, too, if he can help it.

“Wait, this is her isn’t it?”

“What? No, Dean, it’s me.”

I just ache for Dean here, thinking that Sam’s just another trick.

“When I was five you taught me how to ride a bike and I almost –“

“Got hit by a truck, yeah, yeah, we’ve done this one already.”

Dean’s voice was hard. He’d heard this tone before, but never directed at him.

I really like this, how strange and alien it feels to Sam to have Dean treat him this way. Nice tension here.

“I got you,” Sam panted.

“You bet your ass you do,”

Aww, boys. :)

“If she’s gonna be bound to anyone this time around, it’s not going to be you,” Sam said through clenched teeth.

M. Protective, defiant Sam. So sexy. *tackles him*
sams1ra chapter 6 . 11/27/2006
"If his father or brother were ever taken from him, Dean’s fight with the darkness inside of him would be epic." Do I see a hint for a new story? Cuz I, for one, wouldn’t mind… Is she really gone? Well, 2 more chapters, I guess it ain't over yet… good update!
Tacpebs chapter 8 . 11/27/2006
I'm sorry you've finished the story, but it was a good ending! Thanks for the great read!
Tacpebs chapter 7 . 11/26/2006
Poor Dean. Poor Sammy. Where exactly is home for Dean? That's so sad. T_T
mcatB chapter 8 . 11/26/2006
Excellent story! And I really enjoyed the fact that you included Brenna - I liked her. I'm already looking forward to your next story.
EagleGirl6 chapter 6 . 11/26/2006
Ahh, the brotherly love, it's wonderful! Who wouldn't love a protective Sam taking care of big brother. And you do it so well. Your description at the beginning of Dean's head motions and his instinctual searching for Sam was so clear, I could be watching this on TV:

Once he saw that Sam was sitting next to him, he allowed himself a small moment to breathe...

Ooh, man I love Brenna! Love that she's there to watch out for our boys, whatever needs to be done. This was awesome:

Sam knew from the expression on Paul’s face that Brenna’s eyes had turned predatory. He glanced briefly at Dean and saw the shadow of his brother’s usual cocky grin turning up his mouth. He looked like he was…proud of her.

Have I mentioned that the character of Joss is really intriguing? He's caught between his family and the Winchesters, but manages to balance it to the end. And I wonder what Brenna *saw* in Beth. I love these lines:

“You gonna try to kill him?” “No,” Joss answered, horrified by the thought. “You can stay,” Sam answered.

Such a great description of Dean's recognition of Sam, I so smiled at this:

Sam never doubted them. Never doubted him.

Wow, Brenna changing Dean's bandages and talking about the nightmare witch lore. You did a great job sneaking some exposition in there with the h/c we all love. How much did I want to be Brenna there...

Your description of how Dean finally let Brenna *see* him was great. I loved this line:

"What she saw, the Dean she saw, was both brighter and darker than she could have thought... If his father or brother were ever taken from him, Dean’s fight with the darkness inside of him would be epic."

Hehehe, this was cute, nice job keeping the lighter parts mixed in with all the angst:

And if he recalled correctly, the end result was that he’d been taken and tortured by a banshee... “So not my fault.”

What a great moment for the happy place; that's one of my favorite scenes from season 1. Good choice! And how creepy is this witch, with her blue eyes and child-like voice. Yikes:

“Clever hunter,” she pouted. “Why won’t you play with me?”

“Not this time, hunter,” she cried out, a demented, angry child’s voice.

What a wonderful visual, I love how you have them all connected to protect Dean and defeat the enemy. This was just awesome:

Seeing Dean lay with Brenna on one side, a hand on his face, Sam on the other, a hand on his hand, and Brenna and Sam’s hands clasped across his body, he realized he’d never seen anyone more connected to life as this man who was close to death.

Yay! Sam's in Dean's nightmare with him, the brothers're gonna lay some smack-down on that Freddy Kruger-wannabe witch!:

This Dean wasn’t bruised and broken. This Dean wasn’t weak from fever. This Dean… was pissed.

“You will beg me for death before this is over,” his voice was low and carried with it an undertone that Sam had never heard from his brother before.

All the action between Dean and the witch is totally well written, I can see it happening, especially when Dean is using his knife while they're in the circle. Well Done! And this line sums up the whole thing:

Once he’d believed that it was really Sam there with him, he never doubted that he could defeat her. Without Sam, he was alone in the dark. With him, he was powerful.

Wonderful chapter, really. Your dialogue, descriptions of both the action sequences and in between, all vividly described. Just one question. Are Dean and Brenna gonna have any time *alone*? Please? Poor kids got interrupted in your last story!

Thanks for the chapter, sorry it took me so long to review:)
shywalk chapter 8 . 11/26/2006
Even though FF has been a ... I got to read this..wonderful end to a great story...one of my favs
holychocolatestarfish chapter 8 . 11/26/2006
Ah. A beautiful ending. I love the song too. And I can't wait to see what you come up with next. I love your writing!
Allegra chapter 8 . 11/26/2006
Great stuff! I'm glad I didn't have to wait long for that last part. Your plans for another story sound fantastic. I shall be waiting with baited breath!
314 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 .. Last Next »