Reviews for Within My Hands
CalamityJim chapter 1 . 4/3/2010
I know you wrote this story a long time ago and I haven't checked out any of your other stuff so I don't know if you are still like this, but here is my two cents.

If you are going to use a second language in a story at least use the correct words. It's oui, quatre, adieu and tu comprennes. Faking an understanding of the ennunciation is lazy, especially since you are obviously on the internet. There are free french to english dictionaries and translation sites everywhere, so it isn't a difficult task.

However, this story is really well written. You have obvious talent and despite your second language mash up this story is awesome. I know the first part of my review sounds a bit harsh but thats because this story is so amazing that it sucks to see you stumble over something that was little and easy to fix. I also like your characterization of the boys. Good job.
bhoney chapter 8 . 1/7/2010
LOVED this: "he knew with absolute certainty that if anything ever happened to Dean… if he ever lost him, he wouldn’t survive it. He’d survived Jessica because of Dean… he’d even survived the loss of their mom. But he knew the one person he couldn’t lose was his brother."

This song always makes me think of the boys: “Carry on my wayward son. There’ll be peace when you are done. Lay your weary head to rest. Don’t you cry no more.” I hope EK will let them have rest when the series ends. Not ending it with them dead, but give them a happy ending, a peaceful one.

“Damn, it’s good to be home.” I've always thought the Impala symbolized home to Dean. Well, his family, too. But the Impala's been the one constant, even when both John and Sam have left him.

"Not all who wander are lost." Really fitting quote for the boys.

Another great story! Loved the characterization, the brotherly moments, the suspense. Nicely done! I'm adding it to my favorites.
bhoney chapter 7 . 1/7/2010
Sorry it's taken me so long to make it back to finish reviewing.

This cracked me up: "Sam was giving him the look that said I am more stubborn than you and you know it and I’m going to sit here and stare at you until I get my way. “Dude, that stopped working when you were eleven.”

“Sixteen.”

“Still.”" *snickers* Yeah, Dean's a big softie, all right.

Loved this: "He rolled his head toward Sam, looking at him and for a very brief moment letting him see what no one was allowed to see. Letting Sam see him.

Sam blinked. Don’t leave me alone in the dark. Darkness literal, darkness figurative… their lives were eternally tangled in the dark and Sam saw that his brother battled it back every minute of every day.

“Dean,” he said, his voice cracking. He took a breath and started again, “What I saw in that churchyard was my brother. I saw you defeating evil as you have done your whole life. I saw you protecting me. I saw you do it the only way you knew how.”" I love how you write the boys' relationship.

And this was great, too: "“You protecting him his whole life has kept him from having that same darkness…”

“Well, maybe at least one of us can avoid it,” his voice sounded… lost. Brenna remembered thinking when they’d stood in her garage back in Massachusetts that no one had held him in a very long time.

“Dean,” she said softly. “Sam is your innocence.”" *sigh* I wish Sam could've kept that innocence that I loved so much in him, instead of embracing his dark side like he did on the show. I hate that.

The song "House of the Rising Sun" always creeps me out, now, ever since "Roadkill" in S2. *shudders*

Nice chapter!
stilljustceci chapter 8 . 11/13/2009

*sniffle*

No, really, that was lovely.

Those boys.

*sniffle*

You know, a whole chapter of rest, sweet dreams, and sweeter lovin', topped off by a good song and the "good to be home" line? Yeah, I think you cured me of my angst attack, and I can start the next story right away!

Tomorrow. Gnight. ;)
stilljustceci chapter 7 . 11/13/2009
OMG, I'm such a poetry nerd AND a numbers nerd. Dean fitting his little crush on the number 8 into that Frost poem... that was insanely cool.

Sigh, such a lot of family angst and pain. Poor boys. So glad Brenna was there for them. And poor, poor Brenna. Doomed to love Dean... good thing she's tough enough to be alone with her worry!
stilljustceci chapter 6 . 11/13/2009
Oh, whew! *sagging with relief* That actually...almost seemed too easy. I hope I'm wrong!
stilljustceci chapter 5 . 11/13/2009
I wasn't able to really comment as I read because it was just so intense. Intense. Can't tell you the relief over Brenna's arrival.

(Why do you like torturing Dean so much? Definitely going to have to find some fluff to read after I finish this story. But you know I'll be back. I'm always back.) :P
stilljustceci chapter 4 . 11/13/2009
Is Sam bait? Tell me Sam is bait. Of course, that's crazy. But we know Sam and Dean do crazy things for each other, and that's better than Sam got captured because Joss and Paul got their asses kicked already!

*chewing nails*

HA. Threesome with Sam n Dean. You're trying to distract me, aren't you?

Oh. Oh, ouch. "Sam had walked away. Again." :( :( Okay, so that really REALLY wasn't Sam? How did she fool Dean?

So shocked at first that they couldn't finish her off, that she got away! But then I remembered DUH we're only halfway through the story, OF COURSE she's not dead yet.

(OMG, I can't stay awake any longer or the kids will have me trussed and tortured tomorrow morning when I wake up. Hope my laptop doesn't crash overnight...will finish in the morning!)

Okay, what a read! Break my heart, again and again. But BRENNA! So perfect. GO, SAM. Ready for the next chapter!
stilljustceci chapter 3 . 11/12/2009
Took a long break there! Been so crazy busy...and right when Dean and Sam were being held prisoner, too! EEK.

OMG, when did you write this? (I know, I know, there's a date on it, but I'm so bad with dates and timelines...srsly, the whole damn series is one big blob of scenes in my head, not in order, LOL.) If it took Alastair decades to break Dean... of course, he needed Dean to do a whole lot more than just be afraid. Gah. Poor Dean.

The busted rib busting through his skin. That made my skin crawl, man. You kill me with your Dean-torturing. My poor, poor Dean...

Gah, it really sucks that Sammy has to wait on the voodooun!
stilljustceci chapter 2 . 11/9/2009
Brother banter was GREAT this chapter. :D I love Sam being afraid of Darth Vader (what a voice, man, seriously...dude is awesome)

And scary, scary fight/capture. Poor Dean! Please don't be too mean... :(

(BTW, if you haven't heard about it, the voting is going on for the SFX Awards -science fiction- and Supernatural is in an awful lot of the categories! Director, Episode, Sexiest Actor, One-Liner, and more. Good stuff! Do a search for it and give our boys some love!)
stilljustceci chapter 1 . 11/8/2009
Yes, my sister is the one who recced your profile to me. :) I'm afraid you're stick with me for a while 'cause I tend to read through the whole story list when I enjoy someone's writing. ;)

So you started this story out exciting from the get go! Cale is scary...

heehee, Sammy's adorable...how the hell Kripke managed to make a 6'4" godly-muscled little-boy-faced bohunk like Padalecki a shy, geeky, insecure little brother type I have no clue. Dean trying to get him laid awesome! LOL

I like the story set up! Reading on. :) (Oh, and reviewing from my phone 'cause FFN's ads are being a butt on my laptop. Glad phone reviews give you a jolly!)
TheKritty chapter 8 . 10/19/2009
I can't believe that I didn't review this one yet!I've read it a lifetime ago and just found it on my computer's favourites - so I reread it to refresh my memory *lol* This story is awesome, I like Brenna and was glad that she came back in this story. The hurt!Dean was amazing and I was *squee*in throughout the whole story! And you captured the brotherly love so well,Sam and Dean's relationship was so beautiful here,it almos hurt my did more than a few times. Especially these days it was heartwarming and heartbreaking to read something which describes the strongest relationship I've ever seen so damn well! I also liked the story about Joss and his family,the whole background with the witch and Joss' brother, and John and Dean when Sam was at Stanford.

And again,I was pretty impresst by the whole language-thing. Creole or what's it calle and gaelic...

Love this story, loved reading it and will ever love it!

Kritty
bhoney chapter 6 . 10/12/2009
I liked that Brenna was able to act as a conduit to connect Sam and Dean. I do like her a lot, which is really saying something for an OFC, but in small, supportive roles like this. I LOVED Sam being inside Dean's head, helping him fight. Love that he was able to defeat the witch with Sam's support. Yay! She's toast! ;)

"Until he’d heard Sam’s voice, calling him, demanding his return, pleading for him to fight. Dean had never been able to deny Sam… and his brother had trumped the darkness long enough for Dean to fight his way back to the light." Loved that.

And this description of their bond was great, too: "These two… their connection was unique. Anyone who took time to observe them for even a moment could see that they quite literally wouldn’t survive without the other."

"“No,” Sam answered, shaking his head once. “They would never have gotten close, man.” LOVE when Sam's protective.

"Dean met his brother’s eyes and saw something there that he’d always admired about Sam. Certainty. Sam never doubted them. Never doubted him." Aw...love Sam's faith, especially when it's in his brother.

“Because… it hurts too much to live.” That was chilling, and heartbreaking. I really like the nightmare witch. Did you create her, or base her on real lore?

Love this insight into Dean: "His dark side shook her, and his light blinded her. The dichotomy of both existing inside of the one man explained so much to her in that fraction of a second. His light would always win, because it was shining on his family." LOVED the part that shows his devotion to his family. Very nicely said.

LOVED your description of the scene from Shadow: "she watched Dean stride forward without hesitation to step into his father’s embrace. As his hands fisted in the back of his father’s jacket, she saw the moment – relief, joy, forgiveness… peace." *sniffle* I love that moment and you did a great job re-creating it.

"“Stay away from him,” Dean growled. He moved to a low crouch. If she touched Sam… if she so much as breathed on him… “You will beg me for death before this is over,” his voice was low and carried with it an undertone that Sam had never heard from his brother before." Oh, loved this too. Protective Dean is always awesome! Dangerous Dean, too!

Really intense, suspenseful chapter! Nice work!
Alyssa Halliwell chapter 8 . 10/8/2009
(Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm scribbling things down as I go)

Interesting beginning...what the hell is going on? :)

Heh, Sammy the waitress

*sigh* New Orleans, somewhere else in America I'd love to go to

'Watched Sam drop his pillow on the ground beside Dean's bed and wrap himself in his quilt, laying down quietly on the floor' - aw, that is adorable

I love Joss! He is awesome

'Blood of her victims' - why do I get the feeling Dean's blood will be used

Okay, I admit, I'm kinda happy to see Brenna coming back, and her standing up to Beth and Paul was awesome

I liked that you had a whole backstory here, a whole history with these characters, and I also liked the repetition of the poem throughout; and the recurring themes of belief

Oh, and after seeing your last authors note I wanted to add that the pacing and length worked fine for me, I love this kinds of long stories :)
bhoney chapter 5 . 10/6/2009
"Dean had said he’d been hurt. He’d said it like he’d gotten a bruise or bumped his head. Not like he’d been… “What do you mean?” he looked at his brother. Please tell me I didn’t almost lose you and didn’t have any idea. Please tell me you didn’t purposely block me to fucking protect me from you dying…" Ah, so like Dean to do that. I look forward to the conversation they have about this when Dean's coherent.

Oh, poor Dean. This broke my heart for him: "“Turn on the lights… don’t…” Dean’s eyes closed and he relaxed in Sam’s hands. Sam was near-shaking himself. He eased his brother back and ran a trembling hand over his eyes. Somehow he knew Dean’s next words. Don’t leave me alone in the dark."

Man, it is diabolical how that witch twisted Dean's memories, had him seeing his family dying in front of him over and over.

LOVED how Sam placed himself between Dean and the Coulees, ready to shoot them to keep them from hurting Dean. That face-off was awesome, probably my favorite part of this chapter. Glad Brenna showed up as reinforcement when she did.

"“You have never backed down from a fight in your life, man. And I’m not leaving. I’m not leaving. I’m not leaving,” Sam almost chanted, willing Dean to wake up." Love that Sam broke through to his brother, that this reassurance was what Dean most needed to hear.

Nice chapter!