Reviews for The City and Star Island Line
MrsPeelWe'reNeeded chapter 1 . 3/6/2010
A great story. Very well written.
Vamp.Michelle chapter 1 . 8/20/2008
I listened to this as podfic today and enjoyed it a lot! I've always imagined a story portraying LOTR-characters telling fireside-tales - they must have done that often, so it's charming to finally see that penned down. And so artfully as well. And funny!
Larner chapter 1 . 11/13/2007
Why am I reminded of "I am the Viper, and I am six blocks avay"?

"Fie! Fie! I'd like to see you try!

A wonderful look at typical campfire stories that sound scary and turn funny, at the love between Faramir and Eowyn, Dumbledore's phoenix familiar, and the absurdity of Eowyn trying to understand all these needlessly difficult and confusing folk who have come into her experience since she first laid eyes on a stranger from the north.
helga3 chapter 1 . 2/9/2007
I absolutely loved and adored this story. The tone, the atmosphere, the glimpses into the Eowyn/Faramir relationship, the commentary on certain Middle-earth events ("a little perturbed by the devil worship and human sacrifices" - well, yes!), Arwen's cameo, absolutely everything feels so right. I adore the slightly absurd feel Faramir's story gives the fic, and how the anachronisms somehow just gives that absurd aspect just the right touch.

Really, there are even details that strike you as so right that you can't believe you've never thought about them before. (A phoenix for Eowyn and Faramir? YES. A thousand times yes.)

Rounding this up before I end up abusing the word 'right' even more: loved it and favouriting it. :)
Denise chapter 1 . 2/9/2007
Brilliant, funny and moving. The back-and-forth between Faramir's wonderful story and the interludes in the Faramir/Eowyn romance were very well done. I didn't get it at first that the story was about Denethor, but caught on at the end and could see it upon rereading. (Very cute King Kong, etc. references in the crystal ball, btw.)

Your descriptions are amazing, with just the right edge to them. You make all the old familiar things feel so fresh and new, from your description of Faramir and his ancestors, to the HoH, to Eowyn's research - but most especially your Arwen, and her gift. (“I had heard it said that elves do not understand the evasion that mortals call tact.” Lolol!)

I loved, completely loved, your interlude where Eowyn reflects on her love for Faramir. ("When she fell in love with him the world suddenly stretched out before her again, as full of possibilities as it had been when she was a child.") Lovely, lovely.

Great, great story! Thanks for sharing it.
HRT chapter 1 . 12/28/2006
This is quite a graceful, well-written story! I haven't read much of anything like this in the fandom before. Thanks for writing it!
Lady Masterblott chapter 1 . 11/28/2006
Now, that was a nice one! :)

Thanks a lot! Reading this saved my evening.
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 11/17/2006
This is magnificent! I had thought you were not into Tolkien anymore...

(Actually, well, I must admit that my first reaction was WTF is this?)

But when I began to get involved in the fic, it started to captivate me more and more. I was moved above all by the wonderful portrait of Arwen, and Éowyns childish/ morbid curiosity for Faramirs infamous people.

And what gets the prize, of course, the ending. Denetor in the old wivess tale. And Faramirs idea that hed find it amusing. (I wonder...)

Please, keep posting those jewels now and then!
Acacea chapter 1 . 11/6/2006
Lovely fic. I really like the way Faramir conveys something of his father through his little story.

Very nicely done!:)