Reviews for Philip
deelove1 chapter 1 . 1/30/2011
Olympias did try to meet Philip half way. Philip did not take her up on it. Olympias told him if he wanted her to do more in bed he had to teach her. She then let Philip know that there was room in her bed for him. Things might have ended better for him if he had.
Norrsken chapter 1 . 1/27/2008
What a lovely childhood tale. Philip is not the best of fathers, but he does what he can! The scene with little Alexander feeding him raspberries and cream, the cream sticking in his beard, it's most endearing. He is such a little manipulator, even at the early age of three ! No wonder Lanike cannot handle him ! It is good to know that she will get able help from Lysimachos.

The love scene between Philip and Olympas shows their complicated relations so well, little Alexander unintentinally coming in between.

All the best wishes and many thanks for sharing,

/ NorthernLight
moon71 chapter 1 . 11/12/2006
This is such a beautiful story. Even better, its beautiful without being unnecessarily sentimental. Where to begin?

With Alexander, first of all - the histories do suggest he was precocious to the point of being something of a prodigy, but if you read between the lines, the word "brat" appears! In your story it seems that he has already learned to make use of his pretty looks, his status and his "advanced" nature to get a lot of attention from those around him, and that he doesn't like being subordinate to anyone! But underneath it all he wants and needs the attention of his father more than any other and responds to a little loving care - as well as a bit of sharp discipline!

Philip here is so well drawn - he's a Macedonian warrior, not a "new man", who settles things if not quite with his fists then with action rather than words! But at the same time he's a loving father - I tend to picture Macedonian life at the time with boys of Alexander's age being totally the concern of women until they're old enough for schooling, and as such I think your image of Alexander and Philip is totally believable - Philip doesn't have the patience to deal with a sick child but on the other hand he treasures the short time he has Alexander to himself. The scenes between them were magical and Alexander in particular was so realistic, not wanting to be deprived of this new attention and the pleasant novelty of being with his father, even to put his clothes on!

As to the women - your Lanike was lovely! I imagine Alexander, like all the children of the rich and powerful, must have been a trial, yet at the same time he could probably win her around with a smile. But Olympias was best of all - the scene between her and Philip was so perfect. The love scene was errotic and beautiful, but it also said so much about their relationship and the differences between men and women in general - Philip wants Olympias to be more "active" but she seems to be restraining herself, perhaps being afraid to give too much of herself to a man she has to share? At the same time, she wants Philip beside her, yet he apparently finds the deep layers of a woman's mind too much and prefers to go drinking with his "mates"!

As always your writing is fluid and if this makes any sense, "professional." Thank you for such an enjoyable read.
Tastytime chapter 1 . 11/8/2006
I really enjoyed this. It made perfect sense- your characterization of all of the characters, from the young Alexander attempting to push the boundaries and assert his position even when so young, to the fiery Olympias who here is neither a cow, nor a concubine. I am very admiring also of your Philip, who is a far more complex character than the usually drunken brute who characterizes so many peoples work. I'm going to check out some of your other works right now, I enjoyed this one so much, and from what I've seen over all, I enjoy your writing style immensely, so will also add you to my favourite authors list. Thanks for sharing!
A Horse Called Hwin chapter 1 . 11/6/2006
This story really showed a more human side of Philip: the tension between Olympias and him, his love for his son, etc.

Really nicely written!
CoralDawn chapter 1 . 11/6/2006
A truly original story and a very realistic picture of Alexander's parents when they were young. The characterization is superb. Your vision of Olympias feels so much more real than the way she has been portrayed in fiction (especially Renault) and film. The respect she shows in public to Philip, together with the emotional indifference and sense of duty to him, are in sharp contrast to the passionate and instinctive caring for her son. Philip at this time is not yet thirty, and it is easy to see how he would be enthralled for the day with a strong-willed toddler of a son he has not seen for long months on campaign. Alexander is so bratty and yet commanding of other people's attentions - a true miniature of what he grew up to be. I loved it when Philip threw him into the pond! And nice tie-in to Nicesipolis and her child. Isn't it interesting that despite the usual idea of Olympias as a madly jealous wife, she is not noted to have displayed any jealousy for any of Philip's other wives (like Nicesipolis, Meda, Audata, et al.) till Philip married the last one, Euridyke, and her son's future seemed suddenly in serious jeopardy?

Great story! Thank you and I am so happy you are continuing to write on ATG!
Lysis chapter 1 . 11/6/2006
I really liked this story, it's among the more orignial and historically attended to than I've read in a while. The scene with Alexander sitting on Philip's lap eating raspberries and cream was really sweet and adorable. I hope he actually got some time like that with Philip. I also greatly liked that you have the scene between Olympias and Philip being a tender one, and not full of anoimosity, as Stone's movie portrayed. I believe that the problems between Alexander's parents came later on when Alexander was older and his mother's concern for his welfare grew; due to Philip's disasterious marriage to Eyridike. Little Alexander is quite a handful. Prior to that we can't really be sure where in line Alexander really was, even though it was a good sign when Philip hired Aristotle to teach him, that he was held in good regard by his father, but there may have been other sons who died, etc. There are still a lot of holes in Macedonian history. I liked your reference to Nicepoliices(spelling's way off) I love to see someone else who does their research and homework - it lends a credibility to their work. I can't quite see historically, Philip being so attentive to Alexander when he was so young, it was noted that Philip was absent so much, on various campaigns, when Alexander was younger that Alexander jokingly referred to Leonidas as his foster father, and said later that while he credited Philip with giving him life, it was Aristotle whom he considered to be his true father or father of the man he became. His reasons for this comment, I'm sure we'll never really know, but I would think it probably had to do with the attention Aristotle gave him, teaching him to think, look to the truth within himself and the world outside and around him; all the things a father supposedly does for his son in helping his develop into a man. Good story, is there going to be more? I'd enjoy reading more about little Alexander's exploits.

Selket (Lysis)