Reviews for Casualties
chocolatecoffees chapter 1 . 2/27
This is a well written divergence from canon that's brilliant in it's simplicity. Canon never covered casualties really and all it takes is a step to the left for Touji's sister to be killed instead of hurt. The consequences of that would quickly spiral into everything. What comes to my attention the most is in this world Shinji will never have that lull period where Shinji gains things (friends, confidence, etc.) from the Eva. In this world, he'll only ever lose things.
Spazzzh20 chapter 1 . 6/8/2014
You should totally make this into more than a one shot, I'd read it.
KILO151998 chapter 1 . 6/20/2013
Really good:-)
Toriano.Flacko chapter 1 . 11/26/2012
Shinji? OOC? Nope, not here. Rather, instead of "consider the following," it was a case of "all things considered"; here, someone died. While cannot speak for canon, him blaming himself for what happened seems to happen often. Kind of makes (cut off)

Wonder where things would have gone on this route?

LATER!
Hickabickaboo chapter 1 . 7/4/2012
Read this along time ago and thought it was intensely emotional and real. Very sad but very well written.
The-Mrning-Star chapter 1 . 10/2/2011
i always wondered how the characters would evolve if suzahara tried to end ikari's life. i encourage you to expand on this a bit more.
James Axelrad chapter 1 . 7/4/2011
a very interesting bit of fic. such a simple twist, and yet, such an interesting take on events. thank you for the fic.
Caellach Tiger Eye chapter 1 . 9/12/2010
Friendship. It would better if you went with a friendship between them, if you choose to continue this story. And if it ends up feeling natural to write that into romance eventually ... well, then maybe you could pursue that idea with this story. Assuming you're even considering writing this story after four years, that is.

It was pretty obvious from the end of paragraph three that Toji's sister was dead, but it was still transitioned in quite well for those who didn't notice. Yeah, I can certainly see this happening on the off-chance that Shinji actually killed her - I can't remember if he'd stepped on or near her in the series, or if he'd just crashed into the building, or ... well, anyway, it's quite a brilliant premise to work off. Seriously Adam, I hadn't really thought about how much worse Evangelion could possibly be, but you've really got me thinking. I guess it's because I don't really like to make really dark material darker than it already is - I'd probably screw it up anyway. But damn, the possibilities - especially with Gendo and SEELE plotting their own forms of Instrumentality for humanity, who knows how much worse things could get. But ... I really hope things get better. Somewhat. Eventually.

A friendship between Shinji and Hikari - albeit one born from such pain - would definitely be an interesting read. Besides rather liking the Shinji/Hikari pairing, I also find the idea of Hikari taking a more prominent role in Eva ... somewhat different. In fact, I suddenly realised why she's the least prominent character in the series - it's BECAUSE she's the most stable, happy person in the show, not in SPITE of it! The original show simply didn't have room for such a stabilising, optimistic individual - when she starts appearing more, it's right before things start going to hell (Toji as the Fourth, with the Angel-infested Unit 03), and just when she seems to be the only one who's keeping Asuka sane ... Rei II dies, the city is destroyed, and Hikari leaves (followed by Misato giving Pen-Pen to her family. But this could be a very interesting premise, especially since Hikari's been scarred by someone near her dying, and even further by being forced to confront the truth that she doesn't have anyone to fault for it ... it would interesting to see her trying to keep things together after taking a more prominent role. Hopefully we'd see a friendship with Shinji, born of empathy, and after that ... hopefully, the Angels would be defeated and Third Impact could be averted. But whether that ever happens depends on whether you ever choose to continue this.

Whatever you do, you've got another deep story here which tugs at the human soul. You seem to be good at this - I wonder why Hideaki Anno himself hasn't offered you a job, you sure as hell have the right qualifications!

gODSPEED!
Sailor Pandabear chapter 1 . 7/9/2009
nice and sad
Violet Shadows chapter 1 . 10/28/2008
Good story, good idea. Yeah Shinji was a little OOC, but he never really killed anyone in the original until Kaoru and by then he was already five kinds of crazy - so overall I'd say its believable. Good job.
Guest chapter 1 . 1/12/2007
shinji-hikari? please...
Drekk chapter 1 . 12/17/2006
I actually think you have the plot Hikari is trying to understand Shinji and Shinji well he is trying to find why he lives and others have to die

you could just let their personalities bounce off each other but you have a real strong beginning so relax and let the story write itself
BishiHarem chapter 1 . 11/14/2006
Fascinating story! I really like it! The only thing is that I'm a hardcore Touji/Hikari fan. Anyway, keep up the GREAT work!
x chapter 1 . 11/13/2006
Only one real "beef" with your story.

Touji would have been dead if he tried what he did, choking Shinji to death. Two words - Section two.

They'd either have killed touji or incapitated him, lest we forget there where always a few agents around keeping an eye on the children or spys or whatever.
Yo chapter 1 . 11/10/2006
Wow, a whole other way to view things... Very realistic and introspective - quite interesting to see how things snowballed. Nice and straightforward...

I hope you keep those brain cells firing.