Reviews for Ubi Sunt Gaudia?
The Taloned Merlin chapter 1 . 12/7/2012
What a lovely, thoughtful story. I do wish you would write more about these two!

-Merlin
kalirush chapter 1 . 9/13/2011
This is so bittersweet and beautiful. I have so much respect for the way that Ed won't- can't- take comfort in religion in this story, not even for a moment. This is such a detailed, thoughtful piece.
Kibetha chapter 1 . 8/13/2009
This is a wonderful piece - I can't believe it's got so few reviews! You build such a great atmosphere, and all the cultural and geological details are so thoroughly researched and lovingly described. I've been to Munich when it's snowing and bitter cold, with all the friendly Germans not caring who you are, just offering you cheerful greetings and your description gives off the same feeling.

Ed's feelings towards the service are exactly the same as mine... I go to church every Christmas despite being too cynical to believe in a God, just because of the comfort and companionship that you can feel in a church during the carols and the Christmas cheer. It's intoxicating, whether you believe or not, so this really struck a chord with me. If you don't share Ed's viewpoint, then you have a great imagination indeed - every line was like my thoughts exactly, and that crushing feeling of... 'intrusive' happiness is a hard one to imagine, I'm sure. Congratulations on a great piece of work.
MacDerpin chapter 1 . 12/29/2008
I liked this a lot for quite a number of reasons. The German cultural references were excellent. I only caught some such as marzipan (good stuff), the German Silent Night and the Vivaldi Gloria references (et tin terra pax) only because one I sing yearly for the Christmas time in a choir and the other I only sung one year for Christmas. It was very well written.
hellohallo chapter 1 . 6/28/2008
That was Awesome with a capital "a". Truly moving and very, very deep... damn it, now I feel inferior. And with good reason.
musubi7 chapter 1 . 8/9/2007
I can see why this won the contest! Very brilliant! I liked it a lot.

Sometimes I forget that Germany was/is(?) a religious country. We didn't go over too much of Germany itself during APUSH when we went over World War I/II, so I don't have past references for the time period. Either way, this fic helped capture the feeling of a) the season and b) the setting of the area/time.

I enjoyed your elongated syntax style. Unlike short, choppy sentances, longer ones help make the overall esence of the story flow.

Good for you for doing your homework and checking on the locations that you described in your fic. Not a lot of authors do that, and I'm impressed. Major kudos.

Your characterization was right on...as far as I can tell. I'm a recent fan to the series so my opinion of your characterizatin can only go so far.

Once again, exceptional job!

~kai
Rhino7 chapter 1 . 4/1/2007
This was an amazing read. Your use of description and dialogue were outstanding. The way you portrayed Ed's personal thoughts left no room for confusion.

Everything just felt so...real and solid. I also loved how you got into Ed and Alfons' relationship without making it slash.

It's stories like these that make mine look like crap.

Good job, to my favorites this one goes! -
Jennifer Darknight chapter 1 . 1/7/2007
Wow...just Wow. I don't think I've been this moved by a fanfic in a long time.

I'm also really happy with how you portrayed Alfons and Ed's relationship, making it deep and realistic-as I read this, I could almost picture them as people I would see daily in the streets, and the depiction you made of Munich was just wonderful.

I can't just...I just can't put into words how good this fic is.

I hope someday I can write something this wonderful, though I doubt I could come close to something like this.

Thank you for writing this. This definitely made my day. You can bet money that I'm putting this on my favorites!

I hope I can read more stories by you in the future.

~Jennifer
Kimmy Jarl chapter 1 . 12/26/2006
This I like very much. Felt so... real. Powerful, and kind of quiet and understated. Thanks.
lulgijak chapter 1 . 12/3/2006
This is probably one of the best Fullmetal, or otherwise fics I've read on this site! Everything seemed so authentic and the story was terrific. I loved the powerful spiritual theme and Ed and Alfons' respective reactions to it's attraction on them. Great Christmas story!
museofmirth chapter 1 . 11/21/2006
Ah, this was a wonderful story. I loved how accurate everything felt. Great job!
Freddo the Amoeba chapter 1 . 11/20/2006
Aw, so sad and pretty and perfect.
Socrates-Symchych chapter 1 . 11/15/2006
that wasa pretty good fic!
Aemilia Rose chapter 1 . 11/15/2006
I can't begin to tell you how much I love this story.

I remember checking out the entries for the Green Lion Contest (As the beta of one of the contestants - Yixsh - I felt some vague responsibility for assessing the competition ;-) ). I came across this one and stopped dead in my tracks. Oh my WORD. HERE is an absolute masterpiece.

The atmosphere you create is just incredible. It's true that music can have an affect like that on people. I remember getting extremely choked up during the Midnight Candlelight service at my church when we sang Silent Night. That song is a killer, it really is! Granted, I do not in the least share Edward's religious views, but I have several non-religious friends who have mentioned being affected by the music as well.

Also, you get kudos for exploring the relationship between Edward and Heidrich without making it explicitly sexual. It seems like all the stories with Edward and Heidrich these days are yaoi! In my opinion, stories like yours that emphasize other elements, stronger themes, and DEEPER meanings are so much more powerful to read.

I wonder why it hasn't gotten any reviews here on this site? I suppose it's a shame that the great masterpieces on tend to get overlooked.

Anyhoo, congratulations on winning the Green Lion contest! You deserve it, dearie!