Reviews for Toy Story
girlfan1979 chapter 1 . 6/11/2007
So sad and real. Well done.

(And nice job on the late-80s realism).
unapologetic chapter 1 . 5/26/2007
Go you for fact-checking! I love when other people are as anal as I am about dates for games and movies and things. That was incredibly adorable, I especially loved the bit about Where's Waldo.
Rainbow Stevie chapter 1 . 12/3/2006
Oh, my goodness. I've never seen Supernatural, but I love your writing and when I saw this summary, I had to read it. The word that jumped to mind after only a couple of paragraphs was "breathtaking."

I'm literally almost speechless. This is how all short stories should be. There is just so much heart and emotion in such a quiet, contemplative story that I feel like nothing I say will be adequate. Basically, I'm in love with every word. The little details are everything - even something as simple as 'the T-Rex rattling as he put it down.' Or the bit about Sammy bursting into tears when he couldn't get the trick to work. Poor little guy. And the paragraph near the end, about all the things he should have been able to provide his sons, left me choked up.

(as a minor aside, I love you for mentioning Animalia. I mean, between my brother and I we own at least one of everything you included, woohoo for nostalgia! but that book was a first-birthday present for me, which now holds indescribable amounts of sentimental value.)

I also showed the story to my mom (having gotten her degree in English Lit, she's quite used to me dropping bits of writing in her lap for opinions), and she too thought your attention to detail was impressive. Though she was mostly caught up in memory lane, and kept saying, "Oh, it's just like when you and Kyle were little!"
irishgirl9 chapter 1 . 12/2/2006
Cute story! The kermit reminded me of the one I had as a kid. Thanks for sharing.
E. Clay chapter 1 . 11/11/2006
Good job on this. I love how the personalities of Sam and Dean came out in how they played with their toys, like The Tonka truck that Dean managed to destroy even though it was "virtually indestructible," and I can just picture Sam tormenting his father and brother with that harmonica, and the whole "Where's Waldo," book how Sam could never find Waldo even though he went through the book over and over again, and Dean calling him an idiot and pointing out Waldo in all of the pages. I could just really see this happening.

Oh, and like the other reviewers this story really took me down memory lane as well. I think I had the majority of the toys mentioned in this story, excluding the trucks, muppets and Star Wars toys, but my brother had these things so I guess in a way I did too. I really loved this story.
Starliteyes17 chapter 1 . 11/10/2006
This is absolutely adorable, and so detailed. I love your explanations on why each toy was either kept or discarded - the story felt very real and I can really see it being something that John did as the boys grew up.

Good work.
rozzy07 chapter 1 . 11/10/2006
Delicious read. Loved how each toy held a special memory and reflected each child's personality - and how John judged their worth accordingly. Wickedly funny in places, but most of all it left me with nostalgic grin on my face recalling my own childhood favourite toys. (As for lego - that stuff is dangerous maanging to get in the strangest of places not just mouths, but noses, in ears, everywhere - Sam was lucky to escape with his life!). Loved this piece, thanks for posting it.
Thru Terry's Eyes chapter 1 . 11/10/2006
that was really good. Realistic, John's various justifications for keeping or tossing things very insightfuland frequently amusing. I liked it.
Evergreene chapter 1 . 11/10/2006
You do realise that I now have to go dig out all my childhood toys after reading this lovely story? :P

You mentioned a couple of my favourite books, such as Anamalia and Where's Wally (I live in Sydney too!). And, of course, who on earth could grow up without reading Roald Dhal? (kudos to you for referring to the original Willy Wonka movie by its proper title and not "Charlie and the..." I work in a dvd store, so I've become rather pedantic about that! :P)

I still love playing Jenga, though I was baned from playing it in the house about ten years ago due to a rather unfortunate collapse on a lovely wooden table of my mother's.

This was a lovely insight into John's character. I adore seeing him as a father/hunter, and not just a hunter with a couple of kids, if you get what I mean.

Thanks for sharing!

*trots off to dig out boxes containg Rubix cubes, UNO, etc*
Unhobbity Hobbit chapter 1 . 11/10/2006
"(or Wally in Australia)" - it's Wally in Britain too.

Anyway, I really liked this and not just because I'm a sucker for all things wee!chester. I love the way John evaluated everything and the little glimpses we got into their daily lives. And then the moment John has of being sorry that he ever got them into this, which is, I think, a big part of his character especially in those early years.
noname32 chapter 1 . 11/10/2006