Reviews for An Old Man's Winter Night
Laurie chapter 1 . 7/2
Wow. A touching but tough story. John was never a monster but he had serious flaws as a parent. This image of Dean, John's perfect soldier, setting limits like that was sad but all too believable. Saving people might be the family business, but protecting Sam was his mission.
Blossom9 chapter 1 . 2/6
Oh yes! What a good story and a great idea behind it!
sapphireswimming chapter 1 . 5/6/2013
Oh wow. That was one heck of a wake up call. A very necessary one, though. It's good to know that Dean was ready and able to protect Sam even from their dad. And good to know that that would never ever happen again.
Macbeth's Mistress chapter 1 . 1/2/2013
You did an amazing job capturing both of the characters. Wow. Amazing interaction and dialogue! Thanks so muh for writing
JediMagnet09 chapter 1 . 7/2/2010
Wow. Again, great story! Dean is so awesome! :)
The North Wyn chapter 1 . 3/24/2010
Wow, poor guys. And, wow, Dean, what a great guy! Covering for his father, comforting him. And hitting his dad with a frying pain! My favorite lines:

"Sammy might forgive him. Sammy forgave everyone. It was a fault John was trying to break in his youngest."

"Sammy wanted to do a full on exorcisms. Said Pastor Jim taught him the words. Hell, he got the holy water out, and everything." - Too cute! I can picture a wide-eyed Sammy earnestly insisting.

"Dean shrugged. "Improvisation. I couldn't exactly ask you to hold still whilst I got out the crowbar." That smile blossomed into a full on smirk. "You should be thankful I couldn't reach the shotgun." - :-D

Great job!
rika chapter 1 . 3/2/2010
stupid john...
Gohanzgirl chapter 1 . 11/2/2009
Absolutely loved it!
bhoney chapter 1 . 2/11/2009
Hm...well, while I don't believe John ever did anything like this (or that he would), it was an interesting take on the situation, Dean sticking up for his little brother and taking John down. Loved that he was able to do so.

Loved that Dean tried to protect Sammy and his dad both, with the possession lie. And that after hitting him with the frying pan, Dean put salve on the wound. That was a nice touch, and very much something he'd do. As was Dean showing support and trying to make his dad feel better.

Very well-written.
sweetysmart0505 chapter 1 . 7/12/2008
Poor John, probably drug/alcohol induced beating. Great job on thsi.
Star Mage1 chapter 1 . 5/27/2008
This was greatly written.
Cari chapter 1 . 4/30/2008
_ I liked this alot. Very nice
Twinchy chapter 1 . 4/22/2008
Heart-wrenching story. Sad but ending on a positive note - and with some humour too.

I liked how Dean protected Sammy both physically from getting hurt and mentally from losing faith in his Dad. Very sweet and tender how father and oldest son made their peace eventually.
sally sparrow chapter 1 . 9/23/2007
o, well done you!:P I simply adore your writing. Especially this one, "Sincerity and the truth" and of course "Knight manouvers". please write more. soon. pretty pretty please!
Ivy3 chapter 1 . 8/23/2007
That's a bit scary, seeing how close John could have come. I liked how Dean handled the situation- so smart for an 11 year old!