Reviews for An Old Man's Winter Night
sapphireswimming chapter 1 . 5/6/2013
Oh wow. That was one heck of a wake up call. A very necessary one, though. It's good to know that Dean was ready and able to protect Sam even from their dad. And good to know that that would never ever happen again.
Macbeth's Mistress chapter 1 . 1/2/2013
You did an amazing job capturing both of the characters. Wow. Amazing interaction and dialogue! Thanks so muh for writing
JediMagnet09 chapter 1 . 7/2/2010
Wow. Again, great story! Dean is so awesome! :)
The North Wyn chapter 1 . 3/24/2010
Wow, poor guys. And, wow, Dean, what a great guy! Covering for his father, comforting him. And hitting his dad with a frying pain! My favorite lines:

"Sammy might forgive him. Sammy forgave everyone. It was a fault John was trying to break in his youngest."

"Sammy wanted to do a full on exorcisms. Said Pastor Jim taught him the words. Hell, he got the holy water out, and everything." - Too cute! I can picture a wide-eyed Sammy earnestly insisting.

"Dean shrugged. "Improvisation. I couldn't exactly ask you to hold still whilst I got out the crowbar." That smile blossomed into a full on smirk. "You should be thankful I couldn't reach the shotgun." - :-D

Great job!
rika chapter 1 . 3/2/2010
stupid john...
Gohanzgirl chapter 1 . 11/2/2009
Absolutely loved it!
bhoney chapter 1 . 2/11/2009
Hm...well, while I don't believe John ever did anything like this (or that he would), it was an interesting take on the situation, Dean sticking up for his little brother and taking John down. Loved that he was able to do so.

Loved that Dean tried to protect Sammy and his dad both, with the possession lie. And that after hitting him with the frying pan, Dean put salve on the wound. That was a nice touch, and very much something he'd do. As was Dean showing support and trying to make his dad feel better.

Very well-written.
sweetysmart0505 chapter 1 . 7/12/2008
Poor John, probably drug/alcohol induced beating. Great job on thsi.
Star Mage1 chapter 1 . 5/27/2008
This was greatly written.
Cari chapter 1 . 4/30/2008
_ I liked this alot. Very nice
Twinchy chapter 1 . 4/22/2008
Heart-wrenching story. Sad but ending on a positive note - and with some humour too.

I liked how Dean protected Sammy both physically from getting hurt and mentally from losing faith in his Dad. Very sweet and tender how father and oldest son made their peace eventually.
sally sparrow chapter 1 . 9/23/2007
o, well done you!:P I simply adore your writing. Especially this one, "Sincerity and the truth" and of course "Knight manouvers". please write more. soon. pretty pretty please!
Ivy3 chapter 1 . 8/23/2007
That's a bit scary, seeing how close John could have come. I liked how Dean handled the situation- so smart for an 11 year old!
unapologetic chapter 1 . 6/7/2007
Aw, sweet! This line was just wonderful:

"Dean, you could tell that boy that the sky was pink and that ducks are trying to take over the world, and he would believe it."

It was so darling.
Ephemera2 chapter 1 . 5/11/2007
What a moving and heartbreaking story! I love how you portray Dean as simultaneously tough and vulnerable; as a kid who is able to knock his dad out and tie him up in order to protect his younger brother, but who is still enough of a child to melt into a hug. And of course, no matter what John thinks, Dean could never hold a grudge against John, which is likely his great undoing. How exciting to have discovered a new SN writer who really gets the characters (not to mention the English language!) I look forward to reading more of your stories.

Ephemera