Reviews for The Taming of the Badger
Tirnel chapter 2 . 11/14/2006
I really enjoyed this
sehellys chapter 2 . 11/14/2006
that story was just wonderful

it drew such a greeat image of estels first command and the problems he might have suffered while taking it, i always found it a little hard to imasgine how he would just walk up to the dunedain and become their chieftain

but your version and the explanations you gave helped me to visualize it and like i saidf that was just wonderful

all oc's are well pictured and characterised, too

- and i certainly love aragorn *lol*
grumpy123 chapter 1 . 11/14/2006
Great chapter, I love how you have written the rangers and their camp. Aragorn and the twins are perfect. Kenuric does seems to have some problems with Aragorn.
peredhil lover chapter 2 . 11/13/2006
This chapter was very good as well.

I found that I was quite involved in the story and moved by Kenuric's plight, which is quite a feat when dealing with an OC IMO. I love your portrayal of Aragorn. He is decisive and strong, yet kind and willing to listen. In other words, the epitome of all the best leadership qualities.

A very enjoyable and well-written story.

peredhil lover
meckinock chapter 1 . 11/13/2006
Kenuric is a very intriguing character, and you fleshed him out so well. Sometimes difficult people are worth getting to know, and Aragorn is mature beyond his years to realize this. I'm glad he didn't dismiss Kenuric based on his initial behavior, but took the time to get under that thick skin. And poor Kenuric, it really must have been difficult to be bested at his own game, but he's also mature enough in the end to accept Aragorn's gifts for what they are. A lovely tale.
Silivren Tinu chapter 2 . 11/13/2006
Okay, once again you are leaving me quite speechless. I didn't get through the Teitho stories this time, so I had the pleasure of reading this story for the first time. Your grandfather must have been a fascinating man. I loved the background story you have given Kenuric, and how you compared his friendship to Arathorn to Aragorn's friendship with Legolas (you obviously found a way to insert Legolas in the story :) - it made the terrible grief he must have felt after Arathorn's death all the more understandable, and I think it also made Aragorn just the right person to help him and understand him. Once again I also liked how caring your Aragorn is, and that he is able to repay refusal and dislike with understanding and even healing instead of reacting in kind, which is one of the things that make him so special. It was very interesting to accompany him on his first mission as a chieftain. I'm glad Aragorn was able to help Kenuric, and that Kenuric allowed him to help.

I also liked how you described Aragorn's relationship to his brother's - Elladan's "Command as you will, and I will obey" was very touching, as was the scene when Aragorn healed Elrohir. I really could understand Kenuric's envy, btw - who would like to suddenly feel superfluous because someone appears who can do everything better than oneself? It would be difficult to handle even for someone who doesn't have Kenuric's other problems. Oh, and last but not least I also liked your other OCs very much, Trallen and Ros. :) All in all, this was another story I really loved.

Almut
peredhil lover chapter 1 . 11/13/2006
So far, this is wonderful, Pentangle. I enjoyed this chapter thoroughly. Of course, I'm always up for reading a good brothers fic, especially when it is so well-written.

I loved your mature portrayal of the twins and their relationship with Estel. Elladan the over-protective worrier-I wonder why it is so many of us think of him this way?

Usually, OC's send me scurrying. For some reason, I seem to have an inherent fear of them, but I enjoyed yours. They provided us with a nice glimpse into Aragorn's early years with the rangers. Kenuric and his attitude is most intriguing and I am not sure how this is going to work out. I look forward to reading chapter two.

peredhil lover
DawnStrider chapter 2 . 11/12/2006
A nice tale... i loved it...was great. I must say i really liked Kenuric, you created him so well. Cant wait for another one of your stories.
Sivaroobini Lupin-Black chapter 2 . 11/12/2006
Shakespheare helped with the title? I'm guessing 'The Taming of the Shrew' became the Taming of the Badger. I loved this! I felt so sorry for Kenuric. He'd lost Arathorn, his heart's brother, and he would not even allow himself to grieve. You have written this perfectly. Elladan and Elrohir made me laugh, and I was fearful when Elrohir was injured. You captured the Dunedain perfectly and your OC was well-developed. Wonderful story! Once again, it seems that the Valar have guided your hand.

Anor silatha erin rad lin.

Sivaroobini.
Apsenniel chapter 2 . 11/12/2006
OK, fine, make me love Estel all the more. Such a wonderful story...interesting new characters, very well developed personalities. Your conversations between Estel and the twins are quite amusing, and Estel's talk with Kenuric was very moving. I like that Kenuric never became very friendly with Aragorn, but he did become quite devoted, in his own way. Nicely done!
Thorongirl chapter 1 . 11/12/2006
What a strong beginning. Fantastic writing and so far I've picked up two (or was it three) new words to add to my vocabulary. Loved the detailed description of the twins and Estel at the beginning and he bantering among them. When Elrohir proclaims that he is 'not fool enough to answer him!' I couldn't help but chuckle. And when Estel muses that 'he knew that everyone with older brothers suffered as he did...etc.' I thought you nailed that. Nicely done.

Now this healer, my, what a tantalizing mystery you've raised as to his strong dislike of Aragorn. Very intriguing. Okay, I like to comment as I go along in a story. Couldn't suppress a chuckle when you write that 'Elladan's worries would never be shown before the rangers, and he made up his mind to speak to the boy...man...and tell him' - well done once again. But I seriously love the way you portray the brothers' relationship. True to life and beautiful.

Back to the healer again. Again, a bit of whimsy in with all the seriousness. 'Are you sure...? (Estel) 'Like what? Do you think he and adar got into a hair-pulling brawl over whether borage is a good fever reducer?' This is fantastic writing! Ah, the healer was there when...never mind. I'll let other readers find out for themselves. But it starts to clear up the mystery, that part.

The aftermath of the battle/the healing ward scenes - well done. Kenuric comes across as cold and harsh but I'm quite certain there's a lot more to his cold demeanor. Oh my, that scathing criticism of Aragorn. I might just have to leap through the computer screen and defend the poor ranger!

Ah ha! I knew it! The ending of chapter one tells much. But what does it tell? On to chapter 2. BTW, GREAT descriptions/imagery this chapter. I was mesmerzied throughout and thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed EVERY word.
SmileyHalo chapter 1 . 11/12/2006
Two tales for me to read in one day! yay!

Beautiful writing as always. Despite all the introductions needed to be made, all the characters you had to establish, this was by no means a dull chapter! Poor Elrohir! and Elladan and Estel too of course :)

I'm not sure how to take Kenuric. He is obviously a worthy man, but there is clearly something more behind his dislike of Estel besides the fact that Arathorn died too young. Can't wait to find out what that is!

I will read the next chapter in the next couple of days when I know I have enough time to give it the attention it will undoubtedly deserve. Until then, well done for a superb opening chapter, I'm drawn in already!

Keep up the good work