Reviews for Halo: The Arbiter
Kavek chapter 4 . 2/13/2007
*nods* Well crafted. I agree - this is a sight better than the other novelizations. Not much to point here on the negative side of things, except for the fact that the last time this was updated would have been LAST MONTH. ;-)

As far as the MAC gun goes, I agree with Peptuck. To a certain point, a magnetically-propelled projectile is a magnetically-propelled projectile, but then you have to consider size, velocity, and barrel acceleration.

A MAC gun's shell is propelled by magnetic coils in the barrel. Thus, the longer the barrel, the faster the shot is going to travel, and consequently, it will impact with greater force. Let's just hypothesize that the projectile accelerates at the rate of 50/m/s. [That's probably ridiculous, of course, but whatever. ;-)] So, if the barrel is 100 meters long, your projectile will travel accordingly.

So if a SuperMAC gun barrel is 10 meters long (*shrug*), the projectile is traveling that much faster. 10 meters clears right through a capital-class ship. 100 meters maybe wrecks the shield. Remember - in space, there's no resistance or drag, so an object leaves the barrel at 10 m/s, it's going 10 m/s when it impacts, period.
Vehrec chapter 4 . 2/6/2007
On the subject of Orbital mechanics: Anything in orbit is always falling, but it's simply falling in such a way that it's velocity carries it in a circle or elipse around the object it's orbiting. Gravity is a force that is stronger the closer the two masses are together, but the formula for this is can be expressed as the universal gravitational constant multiplied by the sum of the masses divided by the square of the distance. It's always best to measure the force of gravity based on the distance between the center of object 1 and object 2. It's a sad state of the afairs of physics that Gravity is so weak that nobody has ever been able to get a truely accurate estimate of the strength of the constant.

However, I can say with a certain amount of certainty that falling to earth from orbit would cause you to gain velocity at a rate of about 2m/s/s. Doesn't sound like much, but after five minutes you're falling to earth at 600m/s. The only way that the Master chief could have made any kind of soft landing on either the carrier or In Amber Clad would have been for them to be decending at almost exactly the same rate as him. And if they were just free-falling as the lack of roaring thrusters seems to indicate, that's not a major streach.
Wanderer chapter 4 . 2/1/2007
A damned fine read. Better than any of the novels I've read so far. Keep up the good work!
Kolostramin Indincranin chapter 4 . 2/1/2007
I'm afraid I must take issue with this chapter in several ways. One, there are quite a few more mistakes than is usual for you.

Two, gravity does not affect things that quickly-especially if the moving object is as small and moving as (relatively) slowly as John was.

But I did always wonder how he managed any sort of course corrections in space. Nice touch.

Erm...I think that's all. No wait-one more comment. The Chiefs comment about In Amber Clad taking on the carrier. A MAC gun, even a ship-mounted one, does hellish damage against anything. And she wouldn't even have to get close.

But then, if I question that, it brings up the question of why she asked for permission at all-everyone was shooting at the time.

Koin
freelancer92 chapter 4 . 1/30/2007
that was very good.
Elias Dae chapter 3 . 12/16/2006
That was an awesome chapter! No complaints what so ever.

Although I wonder how rigidly you will stick to the game's version of events.

Keep it up!
ssj4 broly chapter 3 . 12/16/2006
dude, this is a really good story, its well writtin, and is very descriptive. please update soon.
LordShotGun chapter 1 . 12/15/2006
perfect start. With refrences to every one of the books and halo combat evolved. this is without doubt the best of novilazations i have read during my time as a visitor to
freelancer92 chapter 1 . 12/13/2006
that was great, very detailed and specific. I like it.
Hawki chapter 3 . 12/12/2006
Good chapter. You're able to describe the battle scenes in detail and keep the action constant yet not make it become labourious and repetitive. Good job.
crspybot chapter 3 . 12/12/2006
awesome, yo. Keep writing! XD
crspybot chapter 2 . 12/3/2006
this is, simply put, awesome. Beautifully written and creatively conceived. Update soon, please!
Mr. Gruntsworthy chapter 2 . 11/29/2006
Hm... this is actually a very good adaptation. Not quite the same style as Eric Nylund, but it's pretty good. That you've read all the Halo books and graphic novel has given you a unique insight to the whole universe... I wonder who will do Halo 3's adaptation, or Halo wars.
Xephon chapter 2 . 11/28/2006
lol, sorry about that Peptuck.

Ah, the latest chapter. It's amazing what a walking green tank can do for morale. P

As always, your addition of extra dialogue and descriptions is sweet. It adds that extra Oomph! into the story that makes reading your novelizations just enjoyable. Haha, I'm just full of praises aren't I? Hope your head doesn't get too big. D

~Have a Nice Day
Hawki chapter 2 . 11/27/2006
Good job. It's good how in addition to the referances to First Strike you managed to tie in the events of the HGN as well. The extra scenes and script are good also.

BTW, I was the one who submitted the anomonous review. From what I can tell my login expired as I was writing it. What are the chances eh?
40 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »