Reviews for Halo: The Arbiter
Kolostramin Indincranin chapter 2 . 11/27/2006
Okay, here's a problem. No doubt it's been discussed before, but what rank is the Master Chief in this story?

In the novels he's Petty Officer 2nd Class, i.e. he's actually Navy. In the game, I don't have a clue what rank he is. But military rank tables show that the rank of "Master Chief" is actually E-8. So which is he here?

In addition, no matter which of those ranks he is, he's actually lower in rank than Johnson, which is utterly bizarre-he's always giving the man orders.

I like the touch of adding weapon holsters. A constant question lingering was "where on earth did he put the rocket launcher when he wasn't using it?"

Another question, this time about explosives in space. Were the MAC guns designed to be fought over? No matter what, a grenade is intended to do personnel and structural damage. What would they do to the walls? And even the windows, thick as they are?

And another nice touch, him carrying three weapons at once. I mean, why not? Oh, yeah, game equality.

And another question. You're obviously using the gun calibers from the game-9.5mm rifle, 5mm SMG, 12.7mm handgun...do you intend to explain why or just use them because they're part of the game system?

In my opinion, even the first two chapters of this work far surpass anything Dietz wrote. But he's another subject.

Write on!

Koin
Havoc-legionnaire chapter 2 . 11/27/2006
Excellent work so far, superior to even William Dietz's take on the first halo, keep it up.
Xephon chapter 1 . 11/26/2006
I love it. The way you had incorporated ideas from Halo into Gunblade and it's sequels always made me wonder how cool it would be if you had done a Halo novelization. Now that you're doing a Halo 2 one, I'm pretty excited. You're style of writing battle scenes and additional info on a series will fit well I think. I can't wait for the next chapter Peoptuck! As always, good work!

~Have a Nice Day
Drodjan chapter 1 . 11/22/2006
Nice. Expertly worded. Look forward to reading more.
Kolostramin Indincranin chapter 1 . 11/14/2006
For a prologue, and one based after events which took place in the actual game, most of what is here is description and thought processes. It's obvious you've decided to follow the "canon" novels, and you've already succeeded in melding together the end of First Strike with the beginning of the second game.

One question, however: were your alterations to the character speeches intended? If they were, I must say I consider the original speeches more fluid. I'll find out next chapter.

Koin
fosashaman chapter 1 . 11/13/2006
Yet another reason for me to come on here four times a day to see if you have updated. I'm excited for whatever it is that you have planned, and your ability to weave a story better than (in my opinion) the original media is the reason I love your writing. You better not die anytime soon. not only would that be horrible, but you'd have about four stories left unfinished!
Elias Dae chapter 1 . 11/13/2006
That was an awesome start. Keep it up!
Tain Shari chapter 1 . 11/13/2006
I have every confidence that I'll enjoy this, despite having never played the game, and with only the barest knowledge of the game, mostly gleaned from wikipedia.
RogueCanuck chapter 1 . 11/13/2006
Having read all your Final Fantasy work, I'm confident that you will do the same kind of justice to the Halo universe. The level of detail you've included still does you great credit.

I look forward to seeing how you continue the story.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/12/2006
Very good so far. I like how you've weaved in your own material that fits in well with the original storyline (something that any novelisation should do in my opinion). You haven't simply done a cut and paste job, you've given it good originality. Also good job of tying Halo 2 in closer with First Strike than the game did.

Anyway, definetly worth continuing.
40 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3