Reviews for Accountable
Aiden2 chapter 4 . 11/25/2006
Unexpected/unwanted pregnancy as a path to true love has been done many times in HG/SS fandom, but you've put an interesting twist on it. I have to confess that I don't much like this Hermione or feel much sympathy for her. Tricking a man into bed and then expecting him to be excited when you turn up pregnant seems pretty unreasonable, with the result that your depiction of Snape's reaction both IC and entirely reasonable from my RL perspective. Are we supposed to feel sympathy for her? I found her declaraton to all in sundry that she supports termination for others but won't do it to be, well, awfully self-righteous. And the decision to go forward with the pregancy under his very nose (even to the extent of insisting on taking potions!), given the circumstances, seems arrogant, manipulative, and unfeeling. As Duj points out, it really puts Snape in an untenable position to insist on being in his class. I also question the manner in which she elicited the sympathy of family, friends, and teachers by declaring again and again the unknown dad's unwillingness to be involved. If Hermione really regrets what she has done and understands Snape's reaction, why cast the unknown dad in such a bad light?

Just a clarification-I am NOT criticizing the story, merely pointing out my reactions to the situation and characterizations. That is ok, no?
Subversa chapter 1 . 11/25/2006
Oh, my. He didn't take that well, did he? Well, this *is* Snape we're talking about; we mustn't expect too much from him to begin with. He is naturally going to think it is all some kind of plot to make him appear ridiculous. Strong start, Author - I am intrigued and eager to find what happens next.
duj chapter 4 . 11/25/2006
Of course he can't help looking. (And looking. And looking again.) Who could?
Borolin chapter 4 . 11/25/2006
Almost too many good bits to count, but I love especially Ron's strut and his *trying* to look menacing, Lavender's really catty question, Ginny's martial bearing, Snape feeling that the dungeons aren't a home but at least they're a refuge (does he feel that anywhere is home? would he want to, given that he probably associates "home" with his parents fighting?) and

"I am, really," Hermione said, looking down at her toes. She should really enjoy them while she could still see them.

and

"Last night? The usual - wild speculation, flights of fancy and a general desire to watch the train-wreck as closely as possible. You know how it usually is with Harry? Like that, but with sex, so it was more interesting."
sunsethill chapter 4 . 11/24/2006
I love this line:

"and, assuredly not the least of your achievements, you have managed to force both Mr Potter and Mr Weasley to keep up with their schoolwork."

Then, I think I may fall in love with Draco if you're not careful! Poor boy is finally free. I really want Harry and Ron to figure this out soon.

And you are doing a fun job with Snape.
sunsethill chapter 3 . 11/24/2006
As with your previous story, I am really looking forward to your characterizations as you deal with this plot. Neville was wonderful, and I fully expect him to gain quite a backbone by the end of the series. And the appearance of Dumbledore's ghost was a surprise. I think there's only a slight chance this will happen in canon, but I love his character so much that I'm glad you used this device to keep him in the story.
a fan chapter 4 . 11/24/2006
The only bad thing about reading the new chapter is loving it somuch and knowing that I have to wait days for another one. Thanks for updating. I loved sloper and I loved Albus Dumbledore the nosy old ghost and I love that he said he didn'tknow about the DA from the start. So many fics have him omniscient. Great story.
LastScorpion chapter 3 . 11/24/2006
I'm really enjoying this story, especially the way you're doing McGonagall and Ginny. My favorite line so far was "Professor McGonagall gave her what could only be described as a Very Old-Fashioned Look."
Kim chapter 3 . 11/23/2006
heheheheheh hahahahahaha hes a ghost? thats funny lol maybe he can look after hermiones and snape and try to get them together? lol and when will snape open up his eyes! poor hermy... well hope u update soon!
amsev chapter 3 . 11/23/2006
After a perfectly craptastic day at work, I was more than delighted to look forward to a new story by you. Excellent beginning! I love reading what you write. And like the idea that Severus has gone all Snark over the whole thing. That poor man, you really do like to put him through his paces, don't you!

And Hermione, too, but he's dealing with, if I understand correctly, not remembering what happened, having been 'taken advantage of' and fathering a child that he didn't ask for. Yes, I have sympathy for Hermione, but he's had such a bad rep that if anyone did find out he was the father, the feces would really hit the oscillating device...

If anyone other than the author happens to read this review, go read Dyce's other story "Survivors" and its sequel. It would be well worth your reading time, as well as the story she is co-authoring under the sig "Borolin." That story's name is "Lost and Found." Go read them! Now!
tubin chapter 3 . 11/21/2006
Fun story thus far, well written and engaging. No criticisms here on your moral character or anything else - even if I'd prefer the situation didn't arise in real life (and only idiots believe that), isn't fiction an opportunity to explore the potential of situations we'd prefer not to live?
Nocturnus chapter 3 . 11/21/2006
I love this fic. And as I'm not a USA citizen, thought I'm American (from Chile) , I dont see the abort discussion the way you face it in that country.

Besides I felt it plausible, and I felt your story is coherent, pertinent and have internal cohesion (sp?) and at the end that is what matters the most. You could write a story in wich Hermione abort (or not) and not hit the nail in terms of a well written story. There are moral issues but in the process of writting what it matters is that the character looks and act in a consistent way with the authors premises about said character. Wich you have.
Plumbum chapter 3 . 11/21/2006
I was very happy to find that you are writing a story again (besides Lost and Found I mean, which I am following at the Borolin site).

I do hope thoughtless comments about the morality of the theme of your story won't disturb you and discourage you from writing. Whitehound's comments on that particular review managed to point out its inconsistencies.

I think your story treated the topic with respect so far, and I trust you will continue to live up to the usual high standards you set in your stories. I think it's rather believable that Hermione would decide to keep the baby: as she does not hate the father, she was not a victim of rape, and furthermore, considering only her current situation: the termination of pregnancy after day15 IS murder. And people deciding to live with it better have some very good resons for committing such a crime. (Says a nonreligious scientist.) It is disturbing that people elect abortion when the only reason for it is the mere inconvenience in timing. There are options such as giving up the kid for adoption, which do not involve murder. Furthermore, Hermione is a responsible person, who can be trusted to understand the consequences of her actions. (The mistake at the vistory party was under unusual circumstances...people don't manage to survive a war every day.)

Anyway, all I wanted to say is that so far you have my full support. The story is great, and i'm looking forward to the next chapter!

I hope Hermione can somehow resolve the tension between Draco and others, he must be pretty lonely about now. The description of all the injured kids was moving...especially coupled with the everyday treatment of the topic when they talked about it.

Your characters are rich as always, and I'm looking forward to read on their story!
MollysSister chapter 3 . 11/21/2006
What a thrill to return to work after being off for 4 days to have 2 chapters waiting for me. Hip hip hooray! You get many points for the following good things: 1. Allowing Hermione's parents to be supportive and loving in the face of her choice. 2. Keeping the ranting and raving of Harry & Ron down to the bare minimum and 3. Good witchy names of the first years being sorted. 4. Giving Draco a chance to be a good guy. I look forward to the next instalment. Thanks again.
azulkan2 chapter 3 . 11/21/2006
Great chapter as usual.

I think some people just have to damn much time on their hands...if they don't like the subject, don't read the story. I get so tired of someone trying to police my life. Odds are they are some damn hypocrites like certain public figures have been lately. Stick to your guns, this isn't a police state yet( although sometimes it seems to be getting to damn close).
1,684 | « Prev Page 1 .. 97 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 .. Last Next »