Reviews for He Stares at the Water
blahblahbayern chapter 1 . 9/4
Well, where do I start? I never was a fan of Maiko, I don't believe their relationship would work, at least the way they portrayed them in canon. I do love badass!Mai though and I'm sure she deserved so much more as a character in the show. It's cool you had her more alive and perceptive here. I guess it's only second or third time I sympathize with Mai so much. Yeah, the whole Zutara thing is heartbreaking but seeing it from Mai's perspective is so much more painful.
Thanks!
teabrows chapter 1 . 6/24
never felt this bad for mai :((
D'EmpressOfNations chapter 1 . 2/17
great write up
patronus1234 chapter 1 . 11/24/2017
Beautifully written.
Jackieee.98 chapter 1 . 8/19/2017
This is so sad yet beautiful
Guest chapter 1 . 6/12/2017
Ah, this is so sad. I can feel the Fire Lady's pain so deeply...
goldenrock chapter 1 . 3/28/2017
Favorited. This was heart wrenching and beautiful
Jaricchi chapter 1 . 12/7/2016
/3 Poor poor Fire Lady (Mai?). To love the one who will never look and learn to love you back. This was really well written, thank you.
Nanyin chapter 1 . 11/20/2016
Wow, beautifully writtern angst.
HoldTightAndPretendItIsAPlan chapter 1 . 10/26/2016
Good story, even if it is heartbreaking.
The-Red-Lip chapter 1 . 10/10/2016
Wow... that's ... wow
Guest chapter 1 . 7/18/2016
I feel so bad for Mai
Suspicious Soup chapter 1 . 10/7/2015
This was SO good. I think another reviewer said it best. This takes the pain of Zutara not being canon and multiplies it tenfold.

This was depressingly good, haha. Although there is a point I want to make-I'm not saying that this is a flaw in your story, just a personal opinion-but I think neither Zuko nor Mai would subject themselves to so much sadness. I vaguely remember this, but I believe in the comics, she left him because he was constantly keeping secrets from her (even though she loved him). I doubt she'd stand for him having an affair right in front of her face, even if it meant keeping her family together. And by the end of the show, Zuko was a lot better at expressing his emotions and I feel like he would eventually tell Mai, "Hey, I don't love you. I'm sorry."

But nonetheless, your story was very well-written and well thought out. I enjoyed it a lot!
LavenderBlossom74 chapter 1 . 9/8/2015
Awww was the wife Mai? Even though I never really liked her cuz she dated zuko I didn't hate her either tear tear
Unenthusiastic Zoe chapter 1 . 7/21/2015