Reviews for Through Glass
IndeMaat chapter 25 . 5/7/2009
I know you have written this story a long time ago, but I only just read it and there are a few things I'd like to address.

One of them is, Gwen was distancing herself from Owen for months before he managed to talk to her long enough to hear from her she was going to have an abortion. Gwen would have been at least three months pregnant by the time she planned to have the abortion. If it bothered her so much to be pregnant with Owen's baby, why did she not decide on an abortion sooner? (and have it sooner).

(First chapter says "as the months progressed" which made it same like Gwen was ignoring Owen for months before he acted. Later chapters indicate this time period was a lot shorter. There thus is some inconsistency in this story in that regard.)

Tightening up the timing - Gwen distancing herself from Owen for a few days - would also make more sense in respect to how Owen would respond. He's not the kind of guy that waits for months to sort something out. He would have either pulled Gwen on her arm to talk about why she was ignoring him after a few days, or he would have decided "whatever" and moved on. Personally, I think the former option. If Owen doesn't like a certain situation, he addresses it. Sooner rather than later.

I don't think Owen would suggest to Gwen that she either loves him or he is a bit on the side. Love had nothing to do with Gwen and Owen getting together. That was lust, mixed in with needing an outlet for the stress she experienced at work that she couldn't find at home (because she couldn't tell Rhys about her day). Owen knows that ain't love - I think he'd rather appreciate that ain't love - so why is he suggesting it here?

Another point has to do with writing a story that starts in the middle of a running series. There are two options here: (1) completely ignoring what happened in the series after the story started, which an author's note atop one of the chapters indicates you did, or (2) trying to work in some events, but present them in such a way that they do not clash with the story. The latter is more difficult, I imagine, and it probably means the story could not run ahead of the broadcasting schedule which probably was the case here. It would also make the story seem less disconnected from canon. Nothing happening for months? I'm still trying to get my head around the notion that Torchwood One had hundreds of employees, and after that was gone, Torchwood Three still managed with only five. Alien activity must have really gone down in a few years' time.

Choosing to ignore everything that happened after a certain episode is also a valid option (I'm not saying it isn't), I'm just a little hard put believing that really nothing happened. If anything that in itself would warrant an investigation.

In the end I thought Flo gave up rather quickly, and then there was a sudden switch to a dark patch on a scan. I actually think that part of the story would work better as the prologue or opening chapter(s) of the sequel rather than as the end of this story. The problem is that a new story is starting at a place where another story is ending. Both story parts are rather disconnected, at least I didn't see a connection between Flo and Gwen having a Rift Child. If there is, if that's the reason Flo latched on to Gwen, that should have been explained here. None of the characters, however, made that connection (and it could have been easily been made, seen as both Flo and the Rift Child have telepathic abilities). Flo and the Rift Child were delivered as two unrelated events; they might as well be in two different stories.

Some other, minor points you may wish to address if you ever decide on a revision of this story:

I'm not too impressed by that hospital Gwen went to after the car accident. All the medical procedures seem to be done by nurses. Plus they only did a full examination of her injuries after she woke up from her coma. That broken wrist could have been set and cast perfectly when she first arrived in hospital. Should have been actually, to prevent the bones from joining incorrectly which may require the bone needing to be broken again so it can be set properly. Later, they just put a bandage on Owen's third degree burn, while that injury means there has been serious damage to the skin. I'm also wondering about Owen's medical knowledge here.

There's an R in brought. You seem to write it consistently without (bought is the past tense of buy, which can give an entirely different meaning to certain sentences).

Oh, and could the characters occasionally go somewhere rather than all the time wandering to places?
WelshGalBeth chapter 25 . 10/9/2008
hello! wow that was brilliant! i just read the whole ething in one go :) you have the characters personalities just right, and can you please tell me the name of the sequel? thankyou! love Beth
phoegon chapter 11 . 5/20/2008
O...M...G...

... I'M UTTERLY SPEECHLESS!

i've just read chapter 6 *sobs* no

this probably the most shocked i've ever been WOW!

that last bit was great!

gotta go reading what happen's next

pheogon
pinksocks chapter 25 . 3/8/2008
aww! Ive just spent 2 hours reading the whole thing, and I loved it! But I hate you because i'm supposed to be revising for my exams that are in 8 weeks! argh! Anyway, moving on, that was brill. Is the sequel up yet :p

~pink
Ivy-Parker chapter 1 . 1/17/2008
"Ianto was stood in the middle, trying to keep away from the mistletoe, a pair of light up boppers on his head. Jack had threatened to feed Ianto to the Weevil if he didn't wear them."

HA!

I can so totally imagine Jack forcing Ianto to wear light up boppers. Anyways, i probably shouldn't have put that quote, because...well, you quoted it, but who cares?

Love this story, i've read it before, but then my computer began to hate me so i couldn't review.

I've always wanted Gwen and Owen to get together, even though several people disagree.

Love this story. Enjoy the next series.
Eliche chapter 25 . 7/12/2007
Great work i really liked it. :D
Psionycx chapter 25 . 2/23/2007
This is a very nice piece of writing. I was especially taken by the characterization of Owen, which I thought was very good. Jack and Ianto's quiet coziness was cute as well. Gwen's almost perpetual state of snit eventually became more amusing than dramatic though, but it was understandable. Tosh was a bit background though (almost like Ianto tends to be on the show). Overall I really liked it and hope to see you write more. Cheers!
Walley chapter 1 . 1/21/2007
god this is brilliant. best story ive read on this website, no competition! you are an amazing writer.
Black Sorceress chapter 25 . 1/14/2007
This was awesome! I love torchwood and I love this fic! I can't wait for the sequel! Please let there be lots of yummy Ianto/Jack goodness in it (they're my fave pairing, closely followed by Gwen/Owen)!
frootfloops chapter 25 . 1/4/2007
Holly Cooper. I love it. ) This was fantastic! D Well written, brilliant storyline, everything was amazing! Congrats, I'm looking forward to the sequel.
ShockingReality chapter 25 . 12/29/2006
So adorable
ShockingReality chapter 24 . 12/29/2006
Aw, poor Owen! Bless.
ice-connoisseur chapter 25 . 12/29/2006
Yeyness! Sequels! A true blessing to every fanfic readers day!

Great stroy, can't wait for the next one!

EMma
I-Confuse-Everyone chapter 25 . 12/29/2006
Oh oh oh! That was awesome. Cant wait for the sequel!
McRaider chapter 25 . 12/28/2006
I LOVE YOU! Fabolous story thank you so much for sharing it! CAnt wait for more!