Reviews for First Name Terms
Second Coffee chapter 4 . 2/1
That was wonderful. I haven't read many stories featuring Haldir, but I think you wrote him perfectly. I especially loved the dynamic between him and Ancadal. His interaction with Aragorn was great of course, too. He seemed somewhat baffled by the human, but in his speech and actions perfectly kept up his stoic, cool elvish facade. I'm always impressed by good Elf characterizations, and especially by their always-eloquent dialogue. You wrote Haldir wonderfully.
I would have loved to read more, but can appreciate this for what it is - a brief crossing of paths and subtle character exploration, and all beautifully executed. I hope to read more of your work! This has become an instant favorite of mine!
Also, "I haven't read the books for some months, I think I'm a bit rusty" made me giggle. In another fandom that might sound a little absurd, but I totally get it!
Mrs.King Aragorn chapter 4 . 4/17/2014
I LOVE YOUR LITTLE AVATAR PICTURE THINGY! This is a really great story! Keep writing, 'cause you're awesome at it!
HassleCastle chapter 4 . 1/30/2014
Good writing. Though it was a bit disconcerting that estel got overwhelmed by one Orc. I expected him to be able to deal with at least a couple before he was released in the wild. And the summary is much too suggestive. Gives a completely opposite impression.
forTheLoveOfHades chapter 4 . 2/6/2013
thats cool
Anne Camp aka Obi-quiet chapter 4 . 1/6/2013
I find your grasp on LOTR knowledge quite impressive. I could see it in the writing and found it very interesting and well done.
The Lauderdale chapter 4 . 2/10/2012
[I couldn’t leave this review earlier because FFN was glitching. Some of it has been superseded - I’ve read “A Warrior’s Experience” at this point, and am now reading “Agarwaen” - but I figured I would leave it anyway.]

Alas poor Slacquer. ...not really. I'm actually pretty glad he's dead. Satisfying, that.

So I started reading "Dwimmerlaik" but put it aside a few chapters in while I catch up on some of the stories leading up to it in your listing. I read all the shorter ones, so now it's "First Name Terms," "A Warrior's Experience," and "Agarwaen." Am guessing that "A Warrior's Experience" and "Agarwaen" will reveal to me (and to Aragorn, obviously) just what it was that happened Haldir, and who was responsible. Meanwhile, I enjoyed discovering this start to their relationship, and am really looking forward to reading what comes next.

So you mentioned that you might revise these earlier stories someday, and I was wondering what you would be changing if you did. Posting my own fic anew, I've been editing and tweaking a bit as I go, and one fiddly change involved making all the references to "human" into "Man" or "Mannish." "Human" does feel more sci-fi than fantasy to me in a way; still, I can't say that I have strong beliefs about it, but others really do, so I thought that I would go ahead and make the change while I was already editing. Yet sometimes I find that there is simply no other word that will work so well in place of "human," and on those occasions I've just left it in. I don't know. I guess I was wondering what you think about this kind of revision/substitution, and if it's one that you've considered or not, and if you think it's worth doing or not.
anonymous chapter 4 . 2/4/2012
This is such an enjoyable read. The characters each have distinctive personalities and the storyline is good. I love the ending - Anacadal and Haldir's conversation is hilarious - and how Haldir decides Aragorn isn't so horrible. It is an interesting start of a friendship.
Glory Bee chapter 4 . 11/13/2011
A very well written and compelling story and I think you write Aragorn very well. :) It was nice to see a more compassionate side to our beloved Marchwarden. :)
gginsc chapter 4 . 8/18/2011
Good story.
writertron chapter 4 . 10/13/2010
this is nice. me likey
Cariad-je chapter 4 . 8/12/2009
Oh very nice. Characterisation, plot, scenery, everything. It moves along at a good speed, just flows so well. Enjoying your writing of Haldir very much, he's not a character I often give much thought to and I'm regretting that now :)

If I may add a slight criticism though, sometimes your dialogue seems a little too un-Tolkien-ish, not that it matters very much, since it's a purely stylistic thing. But sentences like "ruin it for the rest of us" and "I guess humans aren't so bad after all" do feel a tad out of place, unless it's intentional in that it says something about Aragorn's character?

On the whole though an excellent piece, very well-written and well-constructed. Very much looking forward to what happens next!
dinopoodle chapter 4 . 7/31/2009
Very good I do hope you intend to continue this story. Nice detales. Well done charaters, easy to follow . Good work
Vashti chapter 4 . 1/28/2009
I took, or am taking, your advice and am now making my way through your longer pieces. So glad I did. I am thoroughly intrigued by Haldir's past (although I have the sneaking suspicion like if I'd either finished the books or read some of your earlier stories then I'd know a little more), and eager to see how Haldir and Aragorn's friendship progresses from this story to what I started with in "A Difficult Conversation."
Larner chapter 4 . 10/27/2008
A good ending. Nicely done with Aragorn accidently killing the orc and the retrieval of his sword, and the arrival of the reinforcments.

Glad this was part of the MEFAs.
Larner chapter 3 . 10/27/2008
A nice interval, and fascinating to watch the interactions and group dynamics unfold.