Reviews for Our Boots Ain't Muddy
Winchester-Directioner chapter 1 . 12/7/2008
its true about the amount of deer in PA. i see deer everytime i walk outside my house! haha. good story. it was funny.
Rat chapter 1 . 6/6/2008
Cool story, I like the way you have Dean dealing with his worry by taking it out on Sam.
IheartPadalecki chapter 1 . 12/29/2006
that was funny, man i hate being lost.
Charmedp3123 chapter 1 . 12/1/2006
awesome!
GhostBehindYou chapter 1 . 12/1/2006
Hmm. Now this one made me think. Good story though. I don't fully understand it- I'm wondering if you do :P

Keep writing, really liked this one. For some reason.
Carikube chapter 1 . 12/1/2006
Your stories make me think, make me wonder and yet again I am wondering. This is always a very good thing! I feel that I can almost reach out and understand the significance of this, and yet it's vaguely intangible, thick with undertones and hidden meaning that I'm too tired (or too stupid) to grasp. *wink*

So I'll stick with what I know. Recognising damned fine writing when it bites me on the nose, and ow, you bit me good! This, my friend, is stunning. The imagery, Sam running, the fear he feels, the panic, the lessons he has learned about all of these things that seem to be lost to him as he searches and deals with echos that might be his brother or might not be.

Meeting the deer was a turning point, from where to where, I'm too vague in the head to know, but Sam held no threat to it and it held no threat to him. Both eyed each other... then Sam was back, he found his way back and there probably was no deer, he was probably not lost at all, only lost in his own mind for a brief moment, confused by his direction, by how he approaches the hunt - the bathroom in the blueprint was awesome, by the way! - maybe by his fate, but the imagery so transfixed me that I can't get it sorted and that is so so good.

And as for how any mistakes or errors. I got nothing, this is pure poetry and that's pretty much it. Oh, and you have nailed those boys perfectly, the way they interact and the care they show each other yet won't show each other. That Dean touches Sam - he recognises that Sam needs that contact, the physical reassurance (maybe he needs it too) and that was beautiful, but respectful of their masculinity and bond. Thank you!
Starliteyes17 chapter 1 . 11/30/2006
This was an excellent one-shot.

I loved Sam's panic - I got lost in a state park when I was nine, walked three miles in the wrong direction and was found by searchers about nine hours later. I don't remember a whole lot, but what I do recall is the utter helplessness and desperation, turning around in circles and biting my lip to keep from crying. You nailed those emotions. I can totally see Sam running through the woods, and then - bam! Figures that it almost takes being taken down by a deer for Sam to get his sense of perspective back.

The brotherly banter was spot-on. Dean does mask his worry with sarcasm, and Sam knows it. And Dean taking a step backwards from the potential hug, so Sam just gives him a pat on the shoulder? These boys know each other so well, and you convey that clearly, even when the majority of the story Dean isn't present.

As I said before, great one-shot. I loved it.
pizzapixie chapter 1 . 11/30/2006
I loved your elements, the deer encounter, Sam trying to reason his way out of being lost, Dean's acerbic sense of humor covering up his worry. I think you nailed them. It seemed like a snippet from an job!
angel679 chapter 1 . 11/30/2006
That was funny and at the same time deep. Gasoline pixies yea now that I could believe they suck it right out the tank damn things. I think running from the deer would have been a bad idea, just my opinion though. Dean masks his concern and worry with sarcasim and sharp retorts the fact that Sam is finally seeing that is a good thing. Really good story.
gaelicspirit chapter 1 . 11/30/2006
Nice. I like how you described the voices as being deadened. Very realistic - the snow always sucks up all the sound.

Thanks for writing.