Reviews for Ramble On
Rinne chapter 8 . 12/20/2006
Fantastic ending.

You write very well crafted stories.
Vee-sama chapter 8 . 12/20/2006
Totally awesome, one of my favorite supernatural fics for sure, and that's saying a lot cause I read a heck of a lot of fanfiction. Keep the great stories coming, it was excellent from start to finish, although I'm sad to see it finish :(
stealthyone chapter 3 . 12/20/2006
Ooh, such great dialogue and action in this part. The end of the chapter was so very, very exciting.

Also, great job writing the tension between Sam and John, and between the brothers where John’s concerned. I especially liked Dean calling Sam out on the similarities between how Ellicot’s mind control affected Sam’s actions and how the alcohol affected John’s actions.

And, of course, I’m loving all of the h/c, the way the boys are struggling to take care of each with meager supplies and little hope for rescue.

Favorite lines:

Humor him, he’s not himself, he needs reassurance… resist the urge to tape his mouth shut…

*g*

“Sam,” Dean’s voiced was laced with controlled anger that Sam realized covered a layer of fear.

Ooh, I like that, how Dean puts those two emotions into that one word.

“Sam,” Dean said, his voice cementing the tremor Sam had seen in his hands. In that one word his brother poured enough anger and pain that Sam wanted to take back everything he’d said in the last ten minutes. But, he remained silent. He was angry with John, and by default angry with Dean for always being the one to stand between them.

I love this, from Dean’s pained word to Sam being angry at Dean for always sticking up for John. Dean’s obedience to their father is such a sore subject for Sam, and you captured that really nicely in this chapter.

“Don’t you think I fucking know that? I think about that every goddamn day, but it doesn’t MATTER.”

Sam’s breath stilled in his throat. He pushed himself back a little from the rage and pain that rolled off of his brother in physical waves. He couldn’t hold it. He’d opened a box he hadn’t meant to and was ill-equipped to deal with.

This is great. All of Dean’s angst so nicely pours out of those two sentences, and I love how Sam has no clue how to deal with it. It’s one thing to get Dean to talk, and quite another to deal with the fallout.

He pulled Dean’s jacket closer to him, burying his arms underneath. As he pushed the collar of the jacket up to his nose he realized it smelled like his brother. And it was that smell, that combination of leather and gunpowder, that he associated with safety.

Aww. :)

Sam drew in a heavy, shaking breath and mimicked Dean’s stance, turning his eyes back to his Dad. He wanted desperately to be here and he wanted desperately to leave. All he knew was that he couldn’t let them down. He couldn’t let Dean down. He’d seen the stark fear flash through his brother’s eyes when John had declared that Sam would be on his own for this hunt. He wanted Dean to know he’d be okay, he could be trusted.

Such a great paragraph here, so nicely communicating all of Sam’s conflicting emotions, as well as his basic need to make Dean proud.

“Dude,” Sam said, awe in his voice.

“What?”

“When we get out of here, I’m buying every episode of MacGyver.”

LOL!

“Holy shit,” Sam breathed, his world tilting as the pain slammed into him. Dean’s smaller, but muscular body balanced him, kept him from falling. His voice was a steady cadence of easy, that’s it, easy, Sammy, I got you…

Aww. Such a good big brother. *pets him*
robin chapter 8 . 12/20/2006
I thought this story was absolutely wonderful. The ending naturally fantastic! I look forward to reading many more of your supernatural stories.
stealthyone chapter 2 . 12/20/2006
Ooh, the protection charm is a nifty twist. If only they *could* take that cave wall with them. Poor, broken boys!

I love that in this part, you offered an explanation for where “We do what we do and shut about it” came from, and I especially love the Lawrence 1983, dialogue-only flashback, with wee!Dean and John singing to him. Using just dialogue there worked really well.

Favorite lines:

Sam closed his eyes and counted in his head, a trick he’d seen Dean do when he needed to hear something that he couldn’t see.

Nice detail there, not only that Dean does this, but that Sam knows about it.

“That makes as much sense as saying a boy pulls a girl's pigtails because he likes her.”

Dean looked at him sideways, his mouth quirking down. “You mean that doesn’t work?”

*g*

“Just my arm,” Dean said, holding the flashlight with his right hand. “It’s fine, I just… moved it.”

Sam rolled his eyes. “What a dumb thing to do. How many times have I told you not to move your arm?”

LOL! I love Sam’s dry humor here.

He lost the battle when his leg reminded him of his predicament with a particularly harsh throb. He jerked in response and Dean’s jacket settled back over his chest.

Poor, hurting Sam! *hugs him* But hey, it gives Dean a chance to show Sam some blankie love. :)

Dean blinked rapidly and focused on what Sam was saying… with me, man, don’t you go, you stay with me, okay? You said you’d get us out of this, and you always do what you say, so you stay with me… are you with me… are you

“…with me, Dean?”

I really like how you wrote that, with Sam’s words going from being almost out of earshot to back in full volume midsentence. Nice.

“We can never be this stupid again,” Sam declared.

“Oh, I’m pretty sure we can. We shouldn’t, but we can,”

*snickers*

“You see him a lot differently than I do.”

Dean looked at his brother over his shoulder. “He was… he’s been two different people for me, Sam. You’ve only seen one.”

Here, here. Dean knows before-the-fire John, and after-the-fire John. Sam only knows the latter. Poor Dean knows exactly what they’ve lost.
heyesgirl chapter 8 . 12/20/2006
great ending to a truly wonderful story. this last chapter did not disappoint. more great dean pain and angst. great emotions. great dialogue. can't wait to read more of your stories. thank you!
Susan82 chapter 8 . 12/20/2006
Ok...fun lines first:

-“Don’t let go… I’ll fall if you let go,”- Holy crap. Talk about tugging at the heartstrings!

-“I’ve never known anything else. Dean, he uh, he had normal until he was four,” he shifted and looked up at the ceiling, his face dark, his eyes haunted. “I’m not sure which way is worse.”- Wow, that was sad. You really know how to cut right to it.

-“Don’t ask me stupid questions, just help me or get out of my way,” lol. Tell 'em, Sam!

-“The infection. Or mystical wendigo disease. Or whatever the hell you two wackos said it was."- lol. Those Wacky Winchesters!

And finally-“Not my fault you’re little.”- Hysterical! I love it when Sam's able to get in a zinger or two.

Now, on to the real review. I'm extremely conflicted after reading this chapter, but all in good ways. First, I loved the flashback to the encounter with their father, and I really enjoyed the small tag you wrote. However, it made me wish you'd made it a seperate oneshot; you left me hungry for more! That was such a sweet melancholy addition. The show's writers couldn't have done better.

I loved the end conversation with the boys...Sam thanking Dean for all he's done, although the image of a pink Impala made me shudder. That was scarier than any wendigo!

I have to agree with you, the way you ended the story was best. Of course, had you decided to go forward, I would've eagerly followed along. So basically, it was nice reaching a satisfying conclusion, but I still want more! I guess I'll have to settle on waiting for your next tale.

Thank you for sharing such a terrific story. I'd have to say, it was one of, if not the best one I've ever read. You are a very talented writer with a great grasp on the boy's "voices." I can't wait to see what else you'll come up with!

Sorry this review went on so long...I guess the title of your story has subliminally influenced me. hehee So again, bravo on a job well done.
stealthyone chapter 1 . 12/20/2006
Boys in peril. Yummy! *g*

Great to see another story from you so soon. You’re so darned prolific!

I love how this one opens, right in the middle of the action. Just a great sequence of events to get the reader immediately invested in the story. Nice.

I also like how you’re using the flashbacks, making them of varying length and inserting them at just the right moments.

Favorite lines:

“Dean, behind you!” Sam found the air he’d been missing. He sucked it all back in when he saw the wendigo literally loom over Dean in the wan light filtering in from the mouth of the cave. He actually reached toward Dean, his instincts screaming at him to shove Dean aside

I love how Sam, despite being incapacitated, tries to help Dean. Such a good little brother *pets Sam*

Puffing out a series of breaths to try to still the nausea that immediately hit when he shifted his leg, Sam started to pull himself toward Dean’s still form.

Poor, hurting Sam! You sure did mess him up in this chapter. *g*

“Sam,” his name was a mere breath of air whispered across his brother’s still unaware lips. It wasn’t acknowledgment of his presence. It was simply Dean’s first thought upon waking, verbalized through his bewilderment.

I love this, how Dean’s first thought upon waking is of Sam.

Sam nodded once. He was sweating and shaking, but he was focused on controlling his breathing. Dean’s here… Dean’s here… Dean’s here…

Aww, I so love how much Sam relies on Dean’s presence to calm himself.

“You do that a lot, you know,” Sam said, his eyes steady on Dean’s.

“What?”

“Count the beats in a song,” Sam said, watching Dean’s eyebrows go up in surprise. “Mostly when you’re hurting.”

Sam’s so sneaky. *g* Or not, since Dean quickly figures out what he’s up to here. But Sam gets points for trying. :)

Sam got out of bed and crept to the door, trying to be really quiet, wanting to ask his brother to come to bed. He could sleep if Dean were there.

“Go back to bed, Sammy.”

I love how even though Sam tried to be sneaky, Dean knew he was there. It’s like the whole thing with moms having eyes in the back of their heads. *g* Kids just aren’t as quiet as they think they are.

Autumn night, northern Minnesota woods, minimal supplies, no blankets, in a wendigo’s lair. Perfect Winchester evening.

*g* Yeah, that’s about par for the course for them.

As he reached for the first aid kit, he heard the unmistakable sound of gravel falling from the cliff face above. Sam lifted his eyes to the darkness above and saw two eyes reflecting the light that danced from the crystals on the ceiling.

“Oh, shit,” he breathed.

Oh, dear! Cliffhanger! *gleefully rubs hands together*
Onari chapter 8 . 12/20/2006
Hey there!

Sorry for taking this long to review! I've been a bit caught up with work.

So you finished! No! Well, not because the story hasn't found its natural ending, but because you've managed to left us craving for more, as usual!

The story about Running Horse and his brother was very sad. After all, it all started because he wanted to save his little brother, to defeat death. He turned into a monster, no doubt about that, but now I can't help feeling sorry for him, and for Running Horse, of course. I especially like this line:

"As if feeling his gaze, Running Horse murmured, “Seyenz.” He lifted a shoulder in apology.

Sam pressed his lips together, then nodded. “I know. I couldn’t have done it either,” he whispered."

Well, exactly, just as I don't doubt Sam would have acted exactly the same with the faith healer in Nebraska even if he had know about the reaper. Ok, maybe he would have managed it so that Dean never found out, though.

Of course, I can't even start saying how much I've loved all the need to be held, the fear of falling, the fierce will not to let go. It's especially heart-breaking that Dean voices his plea.

"“Don’t let go’ame, Sam,” Dean whispered.

“What?”

“Don’t let go… I’ll fall if you let go,”

And that Sam complies.

“Sam?” Dean whispered through frozen lips.

“I’m not going anywhere, man.”

“Sam looked up. “Might make him sleepy?” he asked.

“Well, if I told him that I was going to knock him out, what do you think he’d do?”

Sam looked back at Dean. “Tell you to go to hell.”

Hehe, damnstraigh!

“I just wanted you to know…” he couldn’t continue...

“I know, Sammy.”...

“I mean it, man,” Sam said softly."

Perfect dialogue. Who says they don't express how much they love each other?

Well, I know this review is a bit shorter, sorry about that! I wanted to tell you I'm looking forward to read your next story. About that, I'm going to be honest with you, because you deserve it: I'd rather have it without OFC! But hey, you know I'll be right there to read it! (If the alerts allow us :s)

Congrats for your excellent story. And Merry Christmas!

Love xx

PS. I listen to Staind every day now (it a good background music while I'm working)! I'm totally with you about Right Here Waiting!
Sanderspleen chapter 1 . 12/20/2006
All I can say is...when's the next story coming out? Your writing is so incredible...you keep the boys so true! Bring on the new brotherly angst! I have you in my "favorites" so I'm just waiting to see any new stories coming from you. Bring it on! And Merry Christmas!
Em chapter 8 . 12/19/2006
Excellent
sams1ra chapter 8 . 12/19/2006
"It seemed he was such a cornerstone in this family. And yet… and yet it was as though he were invisible at the same time. He was gravity. Needed, depended upon, and unseen." I like the analogy. Not the first time I've heard it, and I agree with it. He's like the ground – you ignore it and step on it because you know it'll always be there. Until there's a quake – and then you hold on to it for dear life… But… it's over now *is pouting* Good story, I really enjoyed it!
Raven524 chapter 8 . 12/18/2006
I really enjoyed this story...it was so original and well written. I'll be looking for your sequel!
K chapter 1 . 12/18/2006
This was an awesome story. I'm here because Dodger Winslow recced it. And I'm so glad she did. This was damn near perfect. Great job!
Nilah chapter 8 . 12/18/2006
This was entertaining, beautiful, fantastic, magnificent! Did I miss any? Wonderfully crafted, and warmly told. And the best part of fan fiction to me is when the story just makes you feel the characters even more. Thank you.

I loved your other stories, so please keep writing. I never say no to Dean angst / hurt. I thought Brenna was a lovely character. I can hardly wait to see some more sparks(?)
619 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »