Reviews for The Scent Of Coffee
riverrat chapter 1 . 11/16/2011
That was awesome!

You captured those two characters perfectly.
watin77 chapter 1 . 10/24/2009
damn, that was good.
Chemistress chapter 1 . 9/17/2009
A perfect scene! I love the ones in which the author doesn't use the names (at least for a long while) and actually manages to surprise the reader about who he writes about... you did: I only realized Minerva was missing Severus when the scene from the past was described. And I do buy the idea...
Niemand5 chapter 1 . 7/26/2009
Another great one shot.
FirstYear chapter 1 . 1/25/2009
again, lovely.

Her child turned man... sums it it nicely.
moira of the mountain chapter 1 . 12/2/2008
I am re-reading this aain after a very long time - I remember it moved me at the first reading, and does so still. I very much like the relationship you have created between Minerva and Severus. It is similar to my own concept of them, which I'm developing in my own stories.
hopelily chapter 1 . 2/8/2008
Oh my goodness, this was heartbreakingly good. So bitter, just like black coffee, but yet so beautiful.

A.A chapter 1 . 1/15/2008
This was heart-breakingly good.
Raeumi chapter 1 . 10/22/2007
This is beautiful.
Kirinin chapter 1 . 8/26/2007
Well! I really liked it even more this time around. Good show! The ending is still more or less the same, and therefore still, in my opinion, a hair too much. I still don't quite get the 'sanctity of the day' line... it doesn't seem particularly peaceful for Minerva.

Yet this piece retains a true beauty, even more pronounced than before. You've tightened it up into a much lovelier piece. And I have to say that I'm glad I prodded you into doing so! Bravo. :)

LinZE chapter 1 . 4/18/2007
This was fantastic

thanks for sharing and I hope you continue to write and share.

DailyProphetEditor chapter 1 . 3/18/2007
I truly liked this one. It's just the way I always pictured Severus and Minerva in the books, that they were friends without ever telling each other so. Just sitting besides each other and reading the morning papers.. yes, I can see that Minerva will miss him like hell, even if he's murdered her best friend.

Beautifully written piece - shame it's not longer, but no, don't change a thing. I really like it.
Kirinin chapter 1 . 2/23/2007

Your story is well-done in that your language is very thoughtful, and your general set-up is nostalgic and moving.

Where I would disagree mostly rests on that horrible paragraph about Albus Dumbledore, as well as the fear that your story has slightly edged from drama into melodrama.

Addressing the first: considering that Albus made Minerva his deputy Headmistress and essentially his second-in-command in the Order, the assertion that he's never really trusted her seems out of phase with canon. Worse is the implication that Minerva would not mourn her mentor because he possessed a character flaw. I realize from reading this that *you* do not like Dumbledore. Well and good; he can be an interfering old codger. But don't impose your opinion on a character who has no reason to agree with you, either canonically or within your story.

To address the second issue: re-reading the story, I don't get the sense of melodrama until the very last paragraph. First of all, it seems odd to me that Minerva would cry. It just doesn't seem very in character for her to be crying at her workplace when anyone could walk in. Second, her tears are cascading down her 'unfeeling' cheeks - if her eyes are feeling sad, then so is the rest of her! (What *are* unfeeling cheeks?) The phrase 'fragile sanctity' strikes me in the same way... the day doesn't seem to have very much sanctity so far (if you mean peace), and even if it did I'm not sure how it would manage to. (Can a day have sanctity? If so, how?)

Finally, the very last line says that Severus always hated the smell of burning coffee. It's just that the phrase "burned coffee" or "burning coffee" is used one too many times in close proximity. I would suggest simply, "Severus always hated the smell" or even "Severus always hated the smell of coffee when it burned" to change things up a bit.

Alrighty. Good bits, of which there are plenty. I *love* the way that you have depicted the messy staffroom in such detail. The way that Minerva despised the sight of the teapot - a reminder of all things cheerful and ordinary - was spot-on. The assertion that you don't have to love someone to miss them was true, although it certainly seems that Minerva cared for Severus more than she wanted to admit. The assertion that she had never known a thing about Snape was great, too, although again - she probably knew more than she realized...

Well, this is as nitpicky as I've been in a long time! Why? Because your story rocks hard, and I think it could be truly awesome with some tweaking. If I didn't think this were amazing, I would have written something like, "very good" or "nice". ;)

Keep writing!

Terri Stephens chapter 1 . 2/3/2007
Oh I just love this. I was just thinking, "Is anybody thinking that Minerva has not only lost Albus, but Severus as well?" And he's rough on the kids, but wouldn't you think the sarcasm and attitude would be relished in the Teachers' Lounge? Yes, the casually rolled-up sleeves are a delicious touch.
laurydory chapter 1 . 1/3/2007
whoa. that was great. now I don't usually make the foray into other areas of fan fiction particularly not HP which I love and would hate to see misrepresented but I was browsing, bemoaning the lack of new fics at this time of year. I saw the story, I clicked on it. Here I am and as always, you delivered. Brilliant work.