Reviews for Lamentable Tidings
Agent ERA chapter 8 . 3/24
Ohh, I absolutely love this story. Poor, poor Faramir. I do hope that you are going to continue.
It would such a shame if you won't.
babygirl2580 chapter 8 . 1/27/2013
I really like your story, and was wondering when you were going to post another chapter?
Peter Jackson's Conscience chapter 7 . 5/10/2012
Denethor seems a bit too overtly nice here. His character in the books is most striking in how his raging emotion shines through the forbidding ubermenschy exterior. You get the emotions themselves right, but I don't see him unburdening himself quite so thoroughly or easily. It kind of detracts from the appeal of his character. And, really, the thoughts themselves made him sound less like a brilliant leader and statesman, the last scion of the Numenorians of Minas Anor that was, and more like a melodramatic housewife. Where's the wit? Where's the cunning? Where's the unyielding will?

So, in short - yes to the sentiment, no to the sentimental presentation.

Moving on, I really didn't get the sense of an infinitely subtle superhuman intelligence in the Sauron POV section. Sorry, but I expect my Maiar and Valar to act more like demigods and less like simplemindedly petty Bond villains. If you can't convey that (and really, it takes a writer at the level of a Milton, Tolkien or Goethe TO convey it), try to use a peripheral POV. Even the Witch-King or some other Nazgul, since, after all, they are just corrupted men, who presumably retained the minds of corrupted men. It takes a writer of a special caliber to directly convey the thoughts of a demigod. The rest of us have to rely on hints and cues perceived on a human (or quasi-human) level.

Still, I thought the idea excellent, and the execution was good enough that it took me seven whole chapters to gel my criticisms into coherence. Good show.
CC chapter 8 . 3/24/2012
O my goodness...I am speechless as I read this story...very angsty.

Please update!
A shade of grey91 chapter 1 . 1/31/2012
well, at only 8 chapters and 59 (including this one) reviews, this must be a good story. Though, I'm not sure where you intend to go with this concept, I find myself intranced; You have a good style of writing, but you often go into detail where detail is not needed, otherwise it is simple and easy to follow without lacking in vividrie and emotion.
Minstrel of Gondor chapter 8 . 6/3/2011
update please
Power Of Funk chapter 8 . 6/12/2010
You HAVE to continue this story! It's brilliant! I need to know what happens next!

Please continue! The Power Of FUNK compels you! XD
Iva1201 chapter 7 . 4/2/2010
Very interesting piece, really, a rarely seen scenario on Faramir's involvement in the quest. I would love you to go on! I found this story via AU Boromir search, so I am definitely happy he is alive in this, but I would hate it if Faramir were to die instead.
Clara chapter 8 . 1/31/2010
I think you didn't have enough emotions in your life, huh?, I like how you write but one thing is ANGST other thing is ANGST and hate the character, in this case Faramir. Thank god you have not update anymore. Thank you for stop this cruelty to Faramir.
Siriusly Loopy chapter 8 . 12/17/2007
VERY nice AU. I like the angst here and am anxiously awaiting your next chapter.
Fili chapter 8 . 9/6/2007
Now there's an image... a brutally tortured man dying in agony in the most beautiful place imaginable.

As an art student with a penchant for the slightly twisted, I find that picture intriguing... sadly.

Orcs are not nice. This has been the understatement for the day. I just can't even fathom why someone would hurt someone else jsut because they could. The least they could have done was put his joints back before they woke him up... right. Next they'll be washing their hands before teatime. Note the sarcasm.

Pippin opened the door to find Gandalf, who looked somewhat preoccupied. The Maia merely grunted and frowned at the Halfling before crossing to where the two Men waited.

*snickers* Ahh, not a morning person, is he? Me neither.

Gandalf turned his glare from the hobbit to the Steward. "Surely your Numenorean insight can tell you the answer to that," he snapped.

Very 'Gandalf'. HAH! Love it. But I don't know why I'm laughing.

If the 'good guys' do manage to get Faramir back alive, it's going to take more than a pinch of athelas to bring him back. If he wants to come back. I can't say I'd blame him if he didn't. Though his death would have interesting repercussions on the rest of canon... *wanders off down yet another mental rabbit trail* Some fangirl I am. When confronted with the prospective death of one of my favorite characters, I start doing mental gynastics about the possible effects on the future instead of running off to try and rescue him.

Well, this may have been a 'filler' chapter, but it was not boring! Aswad is an interesting OC...not a typical insanelyevil!Haradrim, though I don't doubt that he's currently looking out for number one, and could be cruel enough if he so chose.

And I have to wonder if that little expedition party made it into his log book...

Looking forward to the next!

Fili chapter 7 . 9/6/2007
Back again...

I do like the shapeshifting!Sauron. It's really original and fun to picture... for me anyway... sitting safely at home in front of the computer. If actually confronted by him I'd probably loose my lunch straight off. Real-life aside, it's still a mesmerising idea.

YEAH! Go Denethor! *waves flags* *slowly looks around* What? *Fili looks confused as crowd walks away shaking their heads*

You know,I've recently been wondering why Gandalf didn't do more in the way of magic during the seige. I remember reading that he and his fellows were forbidden to use their powers for intimidation and control, but I don't recall anything about not using them in cases of dire need. Wouldn't it have been simpler all around to just do a big sparkly blast of magic, and BOOM! no more siege engines; BOOM! bye-bye Grond! Or if that was too hard, just kill those monstrous Rhinoceroses (rhinoceri?)that were pulling it before they could get it close enough to the gates to be any good. Written out, it sounds really childish, but I still wonder.

But now I'm way off topic.

Every time I think about what Denethor's life was probably like, I am re-filled with awe. He's been fighting against a power not of this world for his entire life, with precious little help and a sad, sad personal life. It shows an enormous amount of courage that he didn't just throw in the towel long ago.

It is so good to see him back in top fighting form, I'm just shy of actually jumping up and cheering him on... where'd my flags go..?

“Plenty of time to sleep when we are dead” I like that. :) Very dwarvish... dwarf-like... I give up. Typically Dwarf! *laughs* Yay for Dwarves! :)

Okay, this is... good... and bad. With Faramir out of Mordor and kept nearby, there's a chance of re-capture... no, there isn't. It just seems like it because he's closer. I guess Sauron won't be able to pick through his mind now, and that's got to be good... but that's about all that's good about it. Hurry, Boromir!
Alexa Johnson chapter 8 . 8/13/2007
This is one of the most believable AUs for LoTR I have had yet to come across!

Faramir has always been my favorite character, and my heart is just aching for him! Your writing is wonderful and gripping, and I love that Boromir is alive, and I am also quite fond of your Denethor.

I hope to see more soon!
Fili chapter 6 . 5/25/2007
-Denethor dragged in a deep breath and pushed his mind into the crystal, demanding that it show him what he desired. Show me my son!-

Oh no, Denethor! Oh, NO...

I understand WHY use it. But what he might see...

There is a lot I have to say about this chapter, but I feel that if I tried to say any of it, it would fall far short of what I meant. It was terrible, and, in a way, awesome.

I want to say keep it up, but it sounds so sadistic. I don't take perverse enjoyment out of other people's pain, but this chapter was extremely well-written. Now that I've hopefully clarified it a bit- keep it up!

Fili chapter 5 . 5/25/2007
Got the new log-in process figured out!

And my little brother's off the computer, AND the sporadic internet connection is working, so I'm reviewing some more. :)

Your first paragraph was picture-clear, I could see it as if I was standing there. Lovely.

The Uruk didn't destroy Faramir's eye? Relief! That had me so scared.

-I might be able to will my own death before I betray those whom I must protect-

*screeches to a halt* Whoa... I wouldn't have thought of that option... and I don't know what to say about it. 'Oh, yeah, that's a good idea, Faramir,' sounds horrible, but the other option is worse. *moan*

-Another jerk aimed Faramir’s gaze to the very top of the Tower, where a window looked west towards Mount Doom, and he saw that it glowed with an evil, unearthly red-

Ooh, you're doing Book!Sauron, are you not? Neat! I don't know if I've read any other stories where Sauron appears in Book!form. I discovered LotR far too late to become a hard-and-fast book purist, but Book!Sauron is a nice change.