Reviews for The Last Emperor
saichan1989 chapter 1 . 2/28/2013
I'm having a nostalgia with Tales of the Abyss and lately I found myself digging for some PeonyJade stuffs, then stumble upon this fic. And this, this is the first time I found myself unable to hold my tears when reading a fic. Jade and Peony are very dear characters to my heart and you succeeded to deliver a fic that showed how fragile they are as a human.

Thank you for writing the fanfiction, even if it passed like 4 years already :)
MidnightxBluexBlack chapter 1 . 2/7/2011
Well, I favorited this story a while ago, and, having come back to re-read it now, I've realized that I was rude enough not to review it, so let me say now that this is probably the most tragic Tales of the Abyss story that I have read to date.

I really admire your writing style and use of language. You portrayed everything so well, I could see it all like a movie playing in my head. The scene where Jade dies gets me every time, and Peopny's futile struggle afterwards makes the whole thing that much more painful.

I love the dialog-you captured everyone so well. The emotions, too, are amazing.

Overall, I love it.
mirjamoakley chapter 1 . 1/2/2011
Wow, this was amazing!

I could almost smell the blood and the fire, hear the the distant sounds of the fighting coming closer... could really see the last meeting of the old friends before my inner eyes, feel their emotions...

I also loved how Peony really intended to flee, to fulfill his best friend's last wish, to honor his death and give it meaning by surviving! You see that much too less in stories, where people try to be all heroic instead of leaving, trying to survive and live the life that the people dying for them would have wished them to lead.

And there also comes the only thing that I didn't like that much... the door not opening because it had rosted was just... a little bit too convenient for the plot. I'm pretty sure that Jade would have double-checked that last escape route before-hand to make sure it would work in case of the apparent emergency to come. Maybe it would have been better to say that it had been blocked because of some explosion at the outside wall or something like that.

But well, that's just nit-picking in the face of an otherwise really really amazing story!

You managed to catch the atmosphere amazingly, make the whole story very intense and portrayed the characters so very true to themselves... I just can't find enough words to express how amazing this story was done and how it captivated me while reading.

I also liked, how you made Peony's last moments worthy, with his well-known pose on the throne and his sarcastic words... and then nevertheless fighting until his last breath, showing that he isn't some helpless archon but a warrior, too. And even in death clinging to the spear that once belonged to his best friend and protected himself until the very end...

And much praise that you didn't prolong his death unnecesseraly but made it short and to the point. I think the impact was much much greater this way.

And then seeing the Kimlascan soldiers celebrate their victory, showing just how much the tragedy of one is the victory of others... and then that final sentence who shows that in the end there really is no winner and all that results of wars is death. The end of everything. Literally.
Jouzhenkyn chapter 1 . 7/19/2010
I must say this was, in the simplest words I could think of, completely heart wrenching, yet so amazing...

When I started reading it I was listening to music, but when it came to the part of Jade dying I had noticed that the music had changed to a very sad song. It continued to Peony's death and till the end of the story. When they died I couldn't help but cry! :(
azab chapter 1 . 5/19/2009
i loved it
TechNomaNcer28 chapter 1 . 6/29/2008
Oh wow!This is truly a deep story with so much emotions and heart wrenching pangs.I can't help getting almost scared at the alst lines ast Kimlasca's vicious behavoiur.A little twist and wow,there you go with a great is simply a must read story.
Phantom Tempest chapter 1 . 6/3/2008
Wow... just... wow... this has to be one of the best fanfics I've ever read.

This was really good, it made me cry when Jade died. I think you got Peony down really well personality wise, especially when he was about to fight the Kimlascan soldiers. I could really see him just sitting there looking all relaxed and stuff before fighting them.

I must say, you are a very good writer. I've read a lot of your Tales of the Abyss oneshots, and they're all really well written. Keep up the good work. _
LaZ Chaos chapter 1 . 4/2/2008
T_T So sad. Peony and Jade are my favorite characters of ToA! Amazingly written! T_T
Dalton Galke chapter 1 . 11/18/2007
Wow, that was intense. I really enjoyed it though. The story was great! Aren't we glad Auldrant broke away from the score now? Jade and Peony are still alive! Great story and perfect form no errors i can bring to mind. I'll be watching you for more stories.
Sieg15 chapter 1 . 10/4/2007
Wow...I remember reading this once it was first released but still it amazes me. Just a great story. From the details, to the emotion, to the...well, pretty much everything. Great story.
Anninks chapter 1 . 8/31/2007
Oh wow.

That was just so beautifully written. One excellent piece of work. Inspires me to write. P That was a fanfic of much love! Thank you!
Icyseraph chapter 1 . 7/20/2007
that was a good one! you actually made an event that was supposed to occur if the war continued!

Rating: 10 being the highest
K'Arthur chapter 1 . 7/8/2007
Wow.

This was definitely well written and a great AU piece. The writing on the 7th Fonstone always intrigued me and it seems that you did well in playing it out.

Excellent work.
firedragongirl chapter 1 . 6/29/2007
I see. So this is what would have happened if Auldrant continued to follow the score. . I loved this... except the part of Jade and His Majesty dying, of course, but this was an excellent story to read. . Please type more things like this. I swear, you're one of my favorite TotA authors.
SeekingSolaceProject chapter 1 . 5/27/2007
WHAT? I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU KILLED THEM BOTH! That was just cruel! Just plain cruel, you know? Anyways, it was really good! I loved it so much...I've love to re-read it but I have to go to work...but it almost made me cry...good thing I didn't or else people think that my family abused me...hehe