Reviews for To Outlive
peculiarjuliar chapter 1 . 10/1/2007
I must admit that I was fascinated by your introduction. I am currently studying the Holocaust and Germany under the Third Reich (including quite a lot about the Scholls and the White Rose). I am American (with not a drop of German or Jewish blood) and I was shocked by my parents', as you put it, arrogance. My Mom condemns the entirety of the Aryan Germans, "they all knew, they're all guilty" she says. My Dad declares that he would have never compromised his morals, even to save his nine children. And I was appalled! It's not us outsiders' place to judge who did or knew what and deserves what! It's not our job to judge, but to learn! To learn from what happened, learn what things we - as humans - are capable of so that we can try to prevent such an occurance from happening again. We are ALL human.

Anyway, the fic itself was very powerful and well done. The short length made it even stronger - no wasted time on drawing out the drama. Throughout the story, the guilt weighs heavily on each word, and even though Thomas was a Nazi, a "bad guy", the fact that he is a hurting human shines through.

- pj
AccentFetish chapter 1 . 8/30/2007
Oh how beautifully sad. You did a wonderful job.
Song Birdy chapter 1 . 1/2/2007
This deserves a review.

It's wonderful. Honestly.

It sort of broke my heart.

Good job.

The sentence "The mercy of being born after; oh God, the mercy of not being born then!" Was probably my favorite.

Again, good job.