Reviews for Avarius Rising
Antoine chapter 31 . 5/12/2014
This was a brilliant chapter! I was so excited reading it!

I loved the little reference to a dalliance between Delphine and Edgar, and I grinned at the "lions and tigers and bears, oh, my!" reference, as well. Of course, I also liked how this referenced not only "The Wizard of Oz" (1939), but also the Ipooh boss enemies that accompany Vargas in the original game.

I had been expecting Sabin to jump in and save our other heroes at any moment, but as this chapter ended, it hardly appears that they need any more saving at all!

I liked the character of Delphine. I liked that she seemed to have her own, distinct morality. She was not a "good guy" by any stretch of the imagination, but neither did she seem to be completely selfish, like a standard villain would be.

Also, I loved reading Locke bluffing about the Monks of D'jebli. The way the monks were identified by their colors reminded me of the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, and I certainly had a chuckle at that.

Thank you so much, Mr Toes, for this fantastic story! The characters and the settings feel so amazingly real and vivid, and Firma's writing style and his author's notes are just a joy to read! I will continue to follow this story, now that I am finally caught up, and I look forward to the wonderful surprise of finding the next chapter ready to read, possibly in time for Christmas! ;)
Antoine chapter 30 . 5/9/2014
I agree completely with everything this chapter's previous reviewer, Salty Mog, had to say about this one! I have little to say that Salty Mog did not already say, though I will say that I found Terra's outburst against Firma on the chocobos somewhat surprising. That said, I think I can chalk it up to adolescence and life-threatening stress.

I also enjoyed the references to non-canon aspects of the world, like the Old Laternian kingdom, et cetera.

Of course, I absolutely loved every description of that awful, "potentially sentient" porridge!
I also really enjoyed the description of Firma's expectation of the beginning of martial arts training: "this is how to defend against a punch from a man who wants to hurt you very slowly", and his favorite kind of patient: "plain, boring, unassuming people like you who work in a plain, boring, unassuming desk job as a means of passing the interminable length of time between now and your inevitable demise" ... "I like people like you."

That was absolutely fantastic! I am eager to read the next chapter, though, once again, I find myself just a bit sad that I will, upon reading it, be caught up and likely have to wait a few months before the next, exciting part of this enjoyable story!
Antoine chapter 29 . 5/7/2014
I totally agree with both of the previous reviews of this chapter.

There were so many great laughs in this story, including, but not limited to: "But you're royalty! There _has_ to be ince-", "In this situation? Probably not.", "It is a joke of mine, yes.", and "You must be my destined control sample."!

I must say, after reading a few of his lines, I could not help but hear his voice in my head as Christopher Sabat, specifically his rendition of the Strong Arm Alchemist, Major Alex Louis Armstrong.

Thank you so much, Mr Toes, for another fantastic chapter! I am sorry to see that there is only one remaining chapter for me to read before I am all caught up. Even so, good things are worth their wait!
Antoine chapter 28 . 5/6/2014
I completely agree with the reviews by Salty Mog.

This was another awesome chapter, and it skillfully weaves one powerful emotion after another, from amusement to tension, to sorrow, and to affection. I am very happy to have found this story, and I eagerly look forward to continuing reading it!
Antoine chapter 27 . 5/5/2014
This was another great chapter of personality and action!

I really liked the exchanges with Macaria. I liked her attitude and the way she played with Terra and with Firma. I also like the repeated references to Edgar's quirky obsession with machinery.

The action scene was tense and exciting! I also really like how sensitively the story deals with the subject of killing, even in the case of necessity. I find it humanely comforting to read about a hero who does have to struggle with snuffing out the life of another human being, even when the person being killed is an immediate threat.

I am fascinated by this story, and I eagerly look forward to the next chapter!
Antoine chapter 26 . 5/2/2014
This chapter was very good.

The scene in which Locke comforts the dying woman was tragic, yet also sweet and touching.

By the way, I could not help but smirk at the word choice in "a insane clown and his equally insane posse." I love all of these little pieces of wordplay.

I eagerly look forward to reading the next chapter!
Antoine chapter 25 . 5/2/2014
This chapter was a nice, thoughtful cooldown from the previous action-packed chapter.

I must say, by far, my favorite sentence in this chapter is "Yes, but then my toast would burn." I was practically choking with laughter when I read that!

I also liked the little reference with "Semantic nonsense" and "There's a huge difference!"

I like the way that we are reminded that, unlike the world of of the 1987 Famicom game "Final Fantasy", in this world, the world of the 1994 SNES game "Final Fantasy VI", while magic is known to be quite real, it is still much more mysterious and is the stuff of legends and terrific power.

I am quite curious about that bit of magic Terra sensed in town. I wonder what it could be?

I suppose I will have to read further to find out! I look forward to it!
Antoine chapter 24 . 5/2/2014
This was another great action chapter.

I liked the reference to the English translation "Son of a submariner!" That really made me smile.

Speaking of smiles, many wonderful congratulations on completing your PhD thesis and on getting married! I wish you a life of brilliant academia and wonderful love, respectively!
Antoine chapter 23 . 5/2/2014
I love this chapter!

One thing I love about this story is that, while it stays fairly faithful to the original overall plot and characters, there are enough surprises and twists to really grab the attention of even extremely fandom-familiar readers like myself!

This "Chernabog" was a wonderful and unexpected surprise, and I am very eager to read more about it in later chapters!

Even so, I love the depictions of the distinct characters, especially that of General Kefka Palazzo. The manic psychopathy is just done so well!

I thank the author, Mr Toes, for another great chapter! I look forward to reading the next one!
Antoine chapter 22 . 5/1/2014
This was another great chapter!

I was glad to see Kefka again after all this time, and I found Terra's description of him as strangely normal very interesting and unexpected.

I also liked the little "dance" between Kefka and Edgar, by which I mean the way they speak to each other in a careful way that seems to carry the subtext: "I know you are lying, and you know I am lying, but let us see if we can speak smoothly enough for one of us to learn SOMEthing from the other, without accidentally revealing anything ourselves."

Oh, I also loved Terra's reading of the engineering manual, especially the bit involving the drill and the chainsaw! Absolutely wonderful!

By the way, I hope the author, Mr Toes, earned his PhD! I am curious to know what his field of study was, but if this story is any indication, his thesis was probably a fantastic read!

I look forward to reading the next chapter!
Antoine chapter 21 . 4/30/2014
This was another deeply touching chapter. From Firma's retelling of Locke's retelling of the story of Rachel to the aching end where Firma reaches out to Terra, I could feel the pain and heartache in each of the characters.

However, humor was worked in seamlessly, as well! Firma's rant about amnesia in fiction and Edgar's introduction to Terra were everything for which I could have hoped, and I found myself laughing out loud as I read it in my office.

Thank you, again, Mr Toes, for another wonderful chapter! I look forward to getting around to the next one!
Antoine chapter 20 . 4/29/2014
This was another intense and emotional chapter, and I was very glad to read it! I was impressed at the portrayal of Terra in her rather unstable state. It reminded me of a cornered animal, a radical ball of fury fueled entirely by desperate terror.

I am glad that she seems to be beginning her recovery, and I look forward to reading more!
Antoine chapter 19 . 4/29/2014
I really felt the panic and horror at the end of this chapter. That is really intense, and I appreciate the skill and reverence with which the author deals with life and death situations in this story.

I find myself very curious to know what that mystical voice was going to say to Firma, and I share the presumption of my fellow reviewer, PingZing, that the voice belonged to the esper, Tritoch.

I look forward to seeing where this story goes from here!
Antoine chapter 18 . 4/29/2014
To quote another reviewer, Zippy Zipper, "this story is both amusing and amazing".

I like the way the setting of Narshe is so clearly described. I can feel the bleak darkness and cold when I read it. I also enjoy reading Firma's internal conflict as he encounters a situation where his healing might help, but where his attention must be focused away from this noble calling, at least temporarily.

I am also curious about the odd "alien" technology that the Empire and Figaro seem to be employing.

Ellsinore's backstory leads me to suspect that she will turn out to be MK6, since we know that the Empire pulled some mage knights out of that orphanage, we know that Ellsinore had tremendous magical potential, and we only received "news" of her passing, not an actual death scene. Furthermore, I cannot help but suspect that, in a bizarre twist, she may also turn out to be Firma's fiancée, since she has not been named and since we know that both she and Ellsinore have artistic skill.

No, to read onward, and perhaps, someday, find out whether my suspicions are perfectly accurate, merely the ravings of a mad fan, or somewhere in between. Thank you, again, for the great story, Mr Toes!
Antoine chapter 17 . 4/29/2014
I agree completely with everything the reviewer, moog, had to say about this chapter. I also like the little bit of "winking" that goes on with the references to "trash fiction".

I was very glad to meet your interpretation of the character of Edgar Roni Figaro, and I certainly appreciated reading his description from this other character's perspective.

Major-domo was also quite a delight to read! As I say with my review of nearly every chapter, all of the characters, even the minor, original characters, have such distinct and memorable personalities, and I am very pleased to keep reading!