Reviews for Wine, Women, and Song
Some1Else chapter 16 . 8/22/2010
I discovered this story a while back, but this is the first time I've actually read the entire thing. My expectations were certainly defied. I thought there would be more of an emphasis on gambling. I always believed Setzer won his fortune and acquired his airship from Daryl rather than building it on his own.

Yet in the end, the story is still good. I came to appreciate the fact that Setzer worked from the ground up to restore his family name and build his fortune rather than win it. I enjoyed how the opera played a large part in the story. I liked the scene where Setzer strikes a deal with Gestahl right after the first airship has been built. Kefka is particularly devious. I didn't enjoy the romance between Setzer and Daryl as much because at times she was kind of an idiot.

One part I found particularly clever was when Setzer abandoned everything shortly after Daryl's death to visit his family and friends. This was a perfect explanation as to why there were no other airships in the actual game since Gestahl didn't have any because he wasn't allowed to mass produce them under his agreement with Setzer and certainly came as a surprise because it strengthened pretty much everything that came before it, almost making the story indistinguishable from canon. It's difficult to convey how nifty I think that part of the story is. Kudos.

Once the story merged with canon, it moved pretty quickly. There was some originality to be had, which is particularly important when novelizing a video game, but most of that had already been spent. That's fine, though, since the main focus of the story was Setzer's past. It was amusing to see Gau and Mog tear up the ship. The characterization of Edgar and Sabin were a nice touch and I'm glad Setzer got along with them. I must mention that the prank Setzer pulled on the father of the child who had to have the scale airship was quite funny. The epilogue was a little strange, but it was a fitting end to the story and tied in rather nicely with the beginning.

Overall, this was enjoyable. My criticism is really only minor nitpicking. This is a lengthy, coherent fan fiction that stands apart from the usual useless drivel that plagues this site.

Good work.
Enigma infinite chapter 15 . 2/7/2010
You have touch my heart with that story of yours and for that you have earned my gratitude. Thank you. Perhaps the only weakness in the story is the way it moves to fast as it approaches the end.
Enigma infinite chapter 16 . 2/2/2010
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
oddishh chapter 4 . 4/9/2008
.God.

This is the most beautiful fanfic I have ever read! You portrayed Setzer's character so well. I'm so glad I found this!

XoXo,

BethanStein
Wooflez chapter 16 . 2/22/2008
Theres only one word I could use the describe this.

Beautiful.

Simply Beautiful.
Cerulesta chapter 16 . 12/17/2007
Never, never in my life have I found such a wonderful fanfiction. Truly you are a master of your trade, and I commend you with the highest regards. You succeeded in making me cry no less than three times during the course of your writing. Every word you wrote seemed completely believeable, and the development of both the original and created characters was astounding. What especially pleased me was your depiction of Daryl; how you gave her imperfections, quirks and flaws and a personality to suit them, made her seem real and fit in beautifully with the other characters (as opposed to her traditional depiction, which is nothing of the sort). I can't even express to you how much I utterly loved this piece of writing, not really. All I can really say is thank you - this is a work of art, and I intend to stick to this tale as the recalling of Setzer's life, the fact that it's fanfiction be damned.
reverse-will chapter 16 . 7/28/2005
I know this story was written a long time ago, but I had to post a review.

This was astounding, much better work than I would ever expect for a fanfic. I usually run when I see fanfics with 16 chapters, or a lot of author-added characters, but I enjoyed the whole thing. The characters of your creation were awesome, with nice backstories, not just cookie-cutter junk characters.

I enjoyed the non-game parts about Setzer growing up and such the most, but when the in-game coverage started, it went downhill a little bit, but a lot of that's because we've heard that part of the story over and over and over.

But I'm impressed. And I'm pretty picky about Setzer fics. _-
Misha chapter 4 . 7/13/2004
O_O Dude! This story's absolutely awesome! It's a shame I can't read it today... Evil family...
Neo Yi chapter 1 . 12/20/2003
This is by far, one of the best Setzer fic I ever read. Setzer's my fave characters.
~Neo
Digger McFoogle chapter 5 . 5/26/2003
I LOVE THIS! But I need to sleep! I shall review more!

x

Deathy
Solitary Confinement chapter 17 . 5/21/2003
Indeed this took a lot of time to read, but it was all worthwhile! I don't even want to try and think about where you conjured up all the history you gave Setzer, or the other characters. It was a good story, and what I think is the definitive history of the man who flew with the gods.
Bloodreaver Alpha chapter 16 . 1/28/2003
Whoa. Profound. I'm like...wow.
GeminiWings chapter 16 . 4/2/2002
This is one of the best stories I've ever read. I loved the ending especially. Shadow's death made me a little sad though.
TLOZLink5 chapter 15 . 2/25/2002
I almost forgot to add these two cents:

Christ Almighty...Kefka is SCARY in this chapter. You've captured his personality extremely well; he's certainly more in control of his powers, yet less in control of his mind. And the characterization is PHENOMENAL.

BTW...don't kick yourself about writing the World of Ruin events in shorthand. You did a very good job of paraphrasing the events. Kudos to you, Themis, O Titaness of Justice.
Timp chapter 17 . 2/24/2002
Oh...wow...that was incredible. I don't even know where to begin, it was just...wow. I completely believe this, it's so well written - the characters are excellent, the plot's great, it's all wonderful. Setz's past makes a lot of sense and ties in beautifully with the events of the game; I'm glad, by the way, you didn't stop there, I enjoyed seeing a retelling of their story through Setzer's eyes, especially with the 'updated' dialouge. And the ending was great too (of course), perfectly fitting. I count myself in your debt, madame, for having written such an awe-inspiring piece of work. Congratulations, and thank you. _
58 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »